3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How does having your period affect your weight loss? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/199543-how-does-having-your-period-affect-your-weight-loss.html)

AWelbaum 04-16-2010 01:01 PM

How does having your period affect your weight loss?

I've been stalled this week, and really want to blame Aunt Flow for it, but am I right? Is there anything I do to bust through this while she's around?

LizR 04-16-2010 01:14 PM

Most of us retain water during TOM. This is affecting your weight on the scale but not your actual fat loss. Once TOM is over the scale will show your fat loss.

pink sparkle 04-16-2010 01:58 PM

You're likely right. During TOM, my weight loss also comes to a standstill. I've pretty much accepted it. Only thing I do is keep at it (eating right and working out). Then the weight loss resumes after TOM is over.

cherrypye 04-16-2010 02:43 PM

I actually avoid weighing myself during that special time (lol) because I always gain, and at the least remain stagnant.

One day after it's over, I weigh in on what I've now nicknamed "Bonus Day!" where I usually see some significant scale downward movement.

abreezies 04-16-2010 02:49 PM

This was a really good question and good to know! I am at a standstill right now and was wondering this myself.

beerab 04-16-2010 03:13 PM

Always a day or two before I start suddenly I'm like 3 lbs heavier- but by the time it's over I'm back down those three lbs and if I stuck to my diet I've lost at least an additional pound :)

MyBestYear 04-16-2010 04:14 PM

Absolutely agree with all the posts!

I talked about that in my blog recently -- I don't even weigh myself during my TOM -- and if I stick to plan, typically lose weight a day or two after it is over. I tend to be more bloated too (my wedding ring feels tighter etc).

sweetnlow28 04-16-2010 07:15 PM

Same here ;) I typically see a 2 -3 pound gain about a week before TOM and I experience intense cravings for junk food. I never realized this until I really started listening to my body. I usually don't try to weigh myself until the last day of TOM. By then I have almost always lost a pound or two of fat. Its an extra bonus for putting up with the ten days of cramps and nastiness :)

mkendrick 04-16-2010 07:57 PM

I've been a daily weigher for well over two months now, and I was amazed to see a very predictable pattern throughout the month. Because while there's only one week or so of TOM, your hormones are in a constant changing cycle that affects you all month.

Here's my pattern, of course, daily weight fluctuations can be caused by a zillion different things, but I've seen this exact same cycle completely almost three times now:

Week 1 (TOM): Slight gain (.5lbs or so) for the first day, keep the gain for the second and third day. Then for the next 3-4 days, rapid loss (2-3lbs)

Week 2 (week after TOM): Slight regain (.5lbs), followed by another sudden overnight drop of 1lb or so

Week 3: Level out, constant slow weight loss, about .2lbs/day. About 1.5-2lbs loss for the week

Week 4 (week before TOM): Hardly any change in weight, .5lb loss total

I've been losing about 7lbs/month steadily, and it's been following this cycle.

JennieLovesKisses 04-16-2010 08:07 PM

I gain a 1-2lbs just before TOM and during. A day or two once that is over I will also notice a large weight loss. Its almost bitter sweet because I just went through a week of **** and bloating and just feeling blah, but its worth seeing the new weight afterwards. lol

FatGirlTale 04-16-2010 08:27 PM

I have never noticed anything... I will have to pay more attention next time.