Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #1  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Question I need some answers/motivation.

I haven't lost any weight in a week.. I think my period is coming.. but mine can be irregular. Would PMS have anything to do with this? How much weight do I subtract when I weigh myself clothed? Is weight lifting or cardio more important?

Thanks
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

It takes more than a week to be able to assess the effects of what you are doing.

PMS could definitely be a contributor.

It's best to weigh yourself naked first thing in the morning. If that is not possible I suggest always wearing something similar when you weigh yourself. The general rule is take off 1 lb for light clothes and 3 lbs for heavier clothes... but neither of those include shoes.

Weight lifting and cardio are equally important. I read from several fitness sites that, diet was 70%, weightlifting was 15%, and cardio is 15% for overall fitness and weight-loss.

If you had to chose between cardio and weight-lifting, do exercises that incorporate both like circuit training.

Last edited by Taurie; 03-31-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

OK ... here we go ... Welcome to 3FC by the way

Would PMS have anything to do with this? Absolutely! From what I've read here on 3FC and what I've experience, ladies gain somewhere in the vicinity of 2-10 lbs sometimes. That is plenty enough to seem discouraging.

How much weight do I subtract when I weigh myself clothed? I'm going to recommend that you try not to ... if that's not possible, try to wear exactly the same thing each time, then it doesn't really matter how much your clothing weighs. A loss is a loss.

Is weight lifting or cardio more important? Neither er both ... While cardio burns calories, muscle strengthening builds a nice muscle base that uses more calories than fat. You can effectively use some of your cardio time, to do a few resistance exercises, several times a week. It's so good for your bones, your shape and your health in general. I like Taurie's suggestion about circuits ... fun, never boring.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello and welcome! Lots of great questions!

I agree with everything said but want to emphasize that I think cardio and strength training are equally important. Cardio is great for the heart and strength training helps us to retain muscle we might otherwise lose while losing weight. As much as 40% of what you lose could be muscle loss if you are not strength training.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I typically don't lose any weight during the week before TOM and then the week of towards the end it starts up again. Most people gain.

Strength training and cardio are equally important but I can say that because of my schedule I'm only able to fit in cardio (occassionally I can hit the gym but rarely). I jog, walk and hike. So my legs are getting some strength training and when I can I through in some push up and maybe some sit ups, and I have a 19 month old and am always pushing a stroller when I jog. This has seemed to work well and I am looking more toned, but I do wish that I had more time to strength train. If you can only do one or the other I'd vote for cardio, but if you can do both do both (a lot of people do 3-4 days cardio and 2-3 days strength).

Don't get discourage I also have no loss weeks just because, I can look at my journal and there is nothing to suggest that I shouldn't be losing. Weightloss is a rollercoaster and you really have to learn just to hang in there during the slow loss weeks. Just to give you perspective (not including my pregnancy and the weight I gained from it) It's taken me over 2 years to lose 100 lbs. So it's a journey. Good luck.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #6  

+1 to SusanB's post

Only thing I would add is that I agree about cardio/weight being equally important, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to equal time spent on both. You should not ignore either, but you will likely spend more minutes doing cardio than actually physcially doing strength training.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Everytime I'm about to get my period I stall- but I stick to my routine and eventually I see a drop again- don't get discouraged- it's only a week.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

The best exercise is the one you actually do. Often, people get hung up because they thing they should being doing X, but they hate X, so they keep putting it off and do nothing instead.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
The best exercise is the one you actually do. Often, people get hung up because they thing they should being doing X, but they hate X, so they keep putting it off and do nothing instead.
Yes, this is great advice. This is also why for example I don't weight-lift to the point of significant soreness, it's too much of a demotivator.

By the time you get to the point of significantly diminishing returns on a particular form of exercise it is probably enough of a lifestyle thing that change is easier. For example when I first started I HATED running, it hurt and it was a real demotivator for me. So I didn't do it. But I did eventually get to the point where I was in better shape and able to incorporate it a lot easier.

Also I would mention that I think I've gotten a TON of weight loss benefits by constantly mixing up the length, intensity, and components of my workouts every day. Our bodies do adjust pretty quickly, so if you just go and pound out 30 minutes on the elliptical every day the benefits will decrease.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #10  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

I would wait another week then worry about it. This month I didn't lose weight a whole week then it suddenly dropped down.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #11  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 207/**ticker**/129

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Everytime I'm about to get my period I stall- but I stick to my routine and eventually I see a drop again- don't get discouraged- it's only a week.
Exactly! I'm dealing w/that horrible week right now. Sticking to the plan even when you're not seeing that scale number drop is the key. You'll get right back on track when your body is ready. Mind over Matter!
Hopeful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #12  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone I am proud to say I have dropped about 3lbs.. So I think it really was pms. I appreciate all of the advice. I have started walking everyday reguardless of whether or not I am going to the gym or not. It is making me feel better and it's helping me stay on track with my diet. I took the advice on weighing without clothes. I even weighed my clothes. Haha. I think naked is the best motivator in my case. I loovee this site, it's been super motivational. Keep up all the good work everyone!
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Good job! I know I love 3FC also- I'd be so much bigger without this site by now!

I am jealous it's raining and wet outside right now so I can't do my lunch walk today! BOO!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote