Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #16  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not sure I'm the "tomorrow" source, but I do use that technique all the time. 90% of the time, the next day, I'm over the craving...the other 10% of the time, I usually have a single serving of it and move on (we're on day 3 of "I'll go get frozen yogurt tomorrow", so tonight I may get some. We'll see how I feel later and what the flavors are).

This dovetails nicely with a philosophy that I don't know she's ever stated, but that I associate with Glory87...if you're going to eat it, make it the best/most delicious version you can. Glory would talk about her "off plan" meals...was she getting junk? Nope! She was having a lovely meal out, a glass of wine, and splitting a dessert. Similarly, I AM considering frozen yogurt tonight, but my local shop publishes what nonfat flavors they have that day, and I check the list before I go. If they don't have something that I LOVE (In Fall, this is Pumpkin flavor and it is insanely delicious...The shop I go to also has a Banana flavor that I top with Nilla wafers and fresh blueberries), I save it for another day. That way, when I go, I really enjoy that treat and don't feel like I settled.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

all good advice. CharlieBaby, I used to think if it was free, I should eat it. It doesn't make sense now, but it's what I thought. If anything, if it's free I should feel more comfortable throwing it out.

some other good advice I've received in general from these boards is it's OK to say no to food. It's not rude to say no to food. If someone gives me food and it's too tempting, it's ok to throw it in the trash when they leave. Me being a people pleaser and not knowing how to stand my ground or stand up for myself, I always felt like I needed to take food offered to me and worried about making the person or people feel bad. Now I try to do whats best for me.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

A friend of mine gave me the same advice, and it was a pivotal moment for me. I was itching to have some more of a personal pizza, but didn't want to eat too much. She said "There will be other pizzas, Jo." And that was all the advice I needed to leave it on my plate.

I use that phrase as a personal motivator when the late night cravings strike.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #19  
Dream BIG to be small!

S/C/G: (kg)75/74/46

Height: 159cm 5"2

I liked the moment on lips forever on hips one! And the one about procrastinating. I'm so gonna paste something like that on the fridge!

thanks! =)
unidestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #20  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post

some other good advice I've received in general from these boards is it's OK to say no to food. It's not rude to say no to food...Now I try to do whats best for me.
So, so true. And so hard to learn how to do it! My mom, my boyfriend's mom, pretty much any mom I've ever met, actually, they all want to provide food. And second helpings. After a large first helping. I had to take several of these wonderful women aside at some point and say "it's not that I don't LOVE your brownies/cookies/pie/casserole/etc. but I'm really gonna be okay with a small portion, or none." My parents, particularly my dad, loved showing up at my apartment with a tonne of food. I eventually requested they stop bringing all kinds of pies and cookies and my dad now stops at a farmer's market or the fruit aisle of the grocery store, and shows up with baskets of apples, or a massive fruit tray and fresh seasonal veggies. I appreciate that so much more than a huge cake, and he still gets to feel like he's bringing me a treat. There is one person who was particularly hard - my best friend's mother - because any time I said no thank you to dessert or a massive portion of a meal, she would look at me all funny and say "what, are you trying to lose weight?" to which I finally said a very loud "Yes! And it's working. Don't I look awesome?"

And mandalinn82, I think my WW leader had a similar philosophy to Glory's - if you're going to eat something, make it worth it. Don't blow 20 points on McD's. Have a fabulous entree somewhere. And with a quality meal, I'm more likely to eat it slowly and enjoy it, and recognize when I'm full, whereas I can blow through a cheeseburger in under a minute.

Seriously.

Great advice, all. Love it!
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #21  
High school teacher

S/C/G: 220/190/150

Height: 5'6"

Megan Jewel, I love, love, love your advice about getting more of a high stepping on the scale and seeing a loss than from eating a chocolate bar. It's something that I will definitely use!
LaLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

My trainer once told me that when I'm tempted to eat something bad, calculate how much time I would have to spend on the treadmill to burn it off, then ask myself "is it worth it?"......I discovered that 9 times out of 10 whatever it was I was thinking about eating really wasn't worth the extra time.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #23  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For the record, the fro yo flavors were NOT good last night, so I didn't go. It'll still be there tonight, or tomorrow, so I'm not worried. But I'm saving my calories for the GOOD stuff.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #24  

Height: 5'3"

re: saying "no" to food. I asked my 6yo son if he wanted a piece of my (center cut, 4.5g fat, 70 cals for 3 pieces!) bacon one day. He said, "No, thank you." I said, "But you love bacon. Are you sure you don't want a piece?" Then, he said, "I *said*, no thank you."

Then, I realized I am guilty of doing the very thing I hate when others do to me.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #25  

Height: 5'3"

I forgot to post the best advice I've gotten: "Everything Matters."

I think I heard it here and it stuck with me.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #26  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Somebody (I think it was Jillybean) here said a version of this ...

" Losing weight is hard; maintaining is hard; being overweight is hard; feeling sick & tired is hard; so -- pick your hard!!! "

And ...

" NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS HEALTHY FEELS! "
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote