3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   GARRR! Time for my Yearly Rant. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/196063-garrr-time-my-yearly-rant.html)

PinkyPie 03-09-2010 08:03 AM

now I'm thinking my breakfast was all wrong, but I have to say I didn't feel like I would fall over from hunger as much as if I'd just had eggs or cottage cheese.

160g (5 oz???) shredded potatoes, 3 egg whites, 50g spinach and 50g mushrooms... I have NO idea what to eat for breakfast though. Oatmeal and cereal most definitely do not cut it and I eat usually around 6 am now (I have a 2 hour commute and I leave the house at 6.30, that's why I generally end up having an apple and a latte in the morning to fill the gap) and I hate feeling like I've had nothing to eat even before I get to work :(

sometimes I really hate my body. it's like it's never freaking satisfied!! I just had lunch between 12.30 and 1.15 and I'm honestly feeling hungry again! It's only 2pm!!!

rockinrobin 03-09-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPie (Post 3191791)

The crackers are a replacement for bread. Bread costs me about 2.5 points just for one slice, I get 3 crackers for the same "price".

But for LESS points you could get MORE food (and remain fuller) with VEGGIES

rice and pasta are, let's see... 3.5oz in us measurements. Do you really think that is too much?

It's not working for you - so YES

The Starbucks drink - this is already scaled down from my Triple Tall NF Latte and it's 70 calories for the double short (that's from official NI - I work for the bux ;) )

you keep on justifying by saying that it's better than before. but better is not necessarily enough. you're hungry. you're not losing weight. the choice seems clear to me. this is an area where you can cut back. just because it's BETTER doesn't mean it's BEST. Scale back further.

Soups - I've tried that and I don't actually feel satisfied with soup. I make my own veggie soups usually and the ones that satisfy more have lentils or kidney beans in them (using more calories of course). That said, I'll look for some other soup recipes as well.

*I* find soup to be EXTREMELY filling. I load em' up with all kinds of veggies. I take some veggies out, then puree it, put the veggies back in - it's bulky and FILLING and SATISFYING and DELICIOUS.

OK admittedly the cheese i probably didn't need, it was more of a want. I had already decided to skip any light creme fraiche (light sour cream I guess you have in the States) and go only with 1 30g serving of light sharp cheese for my chili. This is probably the only cheese I eat all week except when we have home made spaghetti (sauce that has been WW'erd as well). I don't do well with milk-products anyway, so cheese is just every once in a while no more than 1 serving.

Again if it works than cheese is fine - if it doesn't - you CAN get more filling power and less calories elsewhere.

The chili is made with only the leanest beef and kidney beans, some olive oil and the rest veggies. DH took my recipe and then changed it to a WW recipe.

Beef AND beans? It's caloric. Why not chicken or turkey? No beans more veggies? You also may be spending too many calories at dinner time. Your calories may be better spent stretched throughout the day. Eat more often. Stave off that hunger. Snack on string beans, celery sticks, cucumbe slices.
I don't often feel satiated - this is my biggest issue, hence why I like to bulk up my meals a wee bit with pasta or rice. I have done it with no pasta or rice and loads more veggies and i was losing, but that was on the old program, not the one we are on now. So I'll do that, at least, go back to a few more veggies and no rice or pasta in my lunch and that should help a bit.

there you have it. why would you bulk up on empty calories like pasta and rice? VEGGIES. VEGGIES. VEGGIES.

PinkyPie 03-09-2010 10:12 AM

so with the soups, I wonder what is wrong with me then??? Because I am not satisfied with soup and I do exactly the same as you do!

and yes beef and beans in the chili. it's chili con carne :) we do not have ground chicken or turkey here, not lean and not cheap (you can get it at the butcher only).

and I have given up a lot but I am going to have one 70 calorie latte a day. I'd rather give up the crackers, rice and pasta (and am totally willing to do that, but I am not going to give up the latte). maybe it sounds like justification but I WAS having more than what I have now and I was losing. Now I'm not. I'm actually having less in that respect. I AM willing to drop the fruit in the morning if it means I still have my latte (and to be honest, both fulfill me for the same amount of time and I generally have to have some tea before lunch anyway).

Definitely dinners will be scaled, am going to go for more veggies!!

JayEll 03-09-2010 10:22 AM

I think what works for one person may not work for another. Because something works for rockinrobin or for me doesn't mean it will work for you. I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing, food wise--and you're following the Weight Watchers program, which is your program of choice. Only someone who is also doing WW can advise you on that--preferably your WW leader? But, there is nothing wrong with shifting some starchy foods to more vegetables instead and seeing what happens--as long as you count your points correctly.

I'm thinking that stress reduction might help you. Are you feeling pretty stressed on a daily basis? That in itself can stall weight loss. I can't remember what you said about exercise, but if you're not getting some physical activity, consider adding some. I don't mean anything strenuous, given that you had a back problem. I just mean something like taking a walk every day--maybe at lunchtime, or in the morning, or after work. Moderate, regular physical activity can help offset some of the stress; unfortunately, I see many folks who think that they have to go all-out when they exercise, and in my opinion, that's just adding more stress.

Hang in there! Keep trying a few different things.

Jay

Amy8888 03-09-2010 10:26 AM

Renee, (if I may take this thread in a completely different direction) if you are tracking diligently, and you have talked to your leader for suggestions, perhaps you have a physiological reason for a slowed metabolism. Have you looked into thyroid issues? There are millions of thyroid quizzes on the Internet if you want to see if you have any symptoms suggesting that you talk to a doctor.

midwife 03-09-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPie (Post 3191800)
now I'm thinking my breakfast was all wrong, but I have to say I didn't feel like I would fall over from hunger as much as if I'd just had eggs or cottage cheese.

160g (5 oz???) shredded potatoes, 3 egg whites, 50g spinach and 50g mushrooms... I have NO idea what to eat for breakfast though. Oatmeal and cereal most definitely do not cut it and I eat usually around 6 am now (I have a 2 hour commute and I leave the house at 6.30, that's why I generally end up having an apple and a latte in the morning to fill the gap) and I hate feeling like I've had nothing to eat even before I get to work :(

sometimes I really hate my body. it's like it's never freaking satisfied!! I just had lunch between 12.30 and 1.15 and I'm honestly feeling hungry again! It's only 2pm!!!

Hey girl,
Haven't read the whole thread, but for breakfast, it might "stick" longer if you have a whole egg + some whites for the fat. Or maybe cook the potatoes/spinach/mushrooms in olive oil? Or (what I'd do, heh heh!) add some avocado. A little fat goes a long way to keeping me satiated.

PinkyPie 03-09-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayEll (Post 3192038)
I think what works for one person may not work for another. Because something works for rockinrobin or for me doesn't mean it will work for you. I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing, food wise--and you're following the Weight Watchers program, which is your program of choice. Only someone who is also doing WW can advise you on that--preferably your WW leader? But, there is nothing wrong with shifting some starchy foods to more vegetables instead and seeing what happens--as long as you count your points correctly.

I'm thinking that stress reduction might help you. Are you feeling pretty stressed on a daily basis? That in itself can stall weight loss. I can't remember what you said about exercise, but if you're not getting some physical activity, consider adding some. I don't mean anything strenuous, given that you had a back problem. I just mean something like taking a walk every day--maybe at lunchtime, or in the morning, or after work. Moderate, regular physical activity can help offset some of the stress; unfortunately, I see many folks who think that they have to go all-out when they exercise, and in my opinion, that's just adding more stress.

Hang in there! Keep trying a few different things.

Jay

I haven't been to a meeting since I threw my back out actually. I keep meaning to go and then other things come up (also I started going to Zumba at the gym, so if I don't go Monday, I like to go Tuesday and Tuesdays are WW nights so it won't work to do both). So I haven't actually talked to her since we changed the program, I've just been doing it online.

I eat so little starches now (again I only have the past to compare to and that's basically what I changed to lose 37 lbs so far) but yes my dinners are not being counted correctly so I am definitely doing that now.

I actually don't have any stress at all :) Since I made the decision to change certain things in my life it's going a lot better. I did the C25K program last year in April to June and now I'm running 1 - 3 times a week (I don't put pressure on myself to do it, I just see when I can do it, but at least once). I also go to the gym at least once a week and other things I do are a bit of walking when I can, I take the stairs, that sort of thing. So honestly, no stress. Even work is starting to be less stress (but I have a coach for work and that's helping too!!)

Thanks Jay, I will definitely keep trying :)

PinkyPie 03-09-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy8888 (Post 3192044)
Renee, (if I may take this thread in a completely different direction) if you are tracking diligently, and you have talked to your leader for suggestions, perhaps you have a physiological reason for a slowed metabolism. Have you looked into thyroid issues? There are millions of thyroid quizzes on the Internet if you want to see if you have any symptoms suggesting that you talk to a doctor.

I will see if I can actually call my leader to talk to her about it.

and I don't think I have thyroid issues, but I'll do a quiz to see :)

Thanks Amy!

PinkyPie 03-09-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwife (Post 3192057)
Hey girl,
Haven't read the whole thread, but for breakfast, it might "stick" longer if you have a whole egg + some whites for the fat. Or maybe cook the potatoes/spinach/mushrooms in olive oil? Or (what I'd do, heh heh!) add some avocado. A little fat goes a long way to keeping me satieted.

I went for the whites today to save on calories ;) but yeah that's what I normally do. I did use olive oil and made a sort of hashbrowns with the egg and veggies.

I actually had avocado at lunch too!

rockinrobin 03-09-2010 11:23 AM

You're not necessarily doing anything wrong with the soup - you don't find it satisfying - and I do.

And if you don't want to give up your latte - than don't. Again - your choice. You were asking for suggestions - and I made some.

I understand that it's chili con carne - but *maybe* you want to try something less caloric - it was just a suggestion.

These were all suggestions, not commands, I promise ;).

It's up to you and you alone to decide what you're willing to give up and what you're not, what you're willing to change - and what you're not.

Be creative, step outside the box, be OPEN, keep searching, keep striving. :)

PinkyPie 03-09-2010 12:32 PM

Thanks Robin, I am definitely listening to all suggestions and I am open underneath the resistance ;)

I have to say I do generally eat more at dinner (use more points) because that is my favourite meal of the day. I have been probably 90% diligent since april last year in tracking, planning, etc and I have changed a lot. I don't eat a lot of bread anymore, I stay away from my trigger foods, I have reduced things like wine (never during the week now), diet soda (it's nearly at nul now), coffee drinks and increased my exercise. Things were going quite well until the op in Novemer (or actually until the 24th when the prog changes). Since then I really haven't changed anything. This is pretty much why I don't understand what I am doing wrong (besides now the idea that I am consuming too many calories).My exercise has increased and my food the same. It's just boggling my mind.

I may be stubborn but I also don't want people to think that I won't try so the rest of this week, no more lattes either. Something's got to give!

midwife 03-09-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPie (Post 3192153)
I went for the whites today to save on calories ;) but yeah that's what I normally do. I did use olive oil and made a sort of hashbrowns with the egg and veggies.

I actually had avocado at lunch too!

A woman after my own heart!!

Also, not advice, but a general observation. Those 160s-170s can be a bear! The Bermuda Triangle of Weight Loss. Hang in there. It sounds like you are doing a lot of awesome things. Be more stubborn than the poundage. :hug:

rockinrobin 03-09-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPie (Post 3192327)
Thanks Robin, I am definitely listening to all suggestions and I am open underneath the resistance ;)

I have to say I do generally eat more at dinner (use more points) because that is my favourite meal of the day. I have been probably 90% diligent since april last year in tracking, planning, etc and I have changed a lot. I don't eat a lot of bread anymore, I stay away from my trigger foods, I have reduced things like wine (never during the week now), diet soda (it's nearly at nul now), coffee drinks and increased my exercise. Things were going quite well until the op in Novemer (or actually until the 24th when the prog changes). Since then I really haven't changed anything. This is pretty much why I don't understand what I am doing wrong (besides now the idea that I am consuming too many calories).My exercise has increased and my food the same. It's just boggling my mind.

I may be stubborn but I also don't want people to think that I won't try so the rest of this week, no more lattes either. Something's got to give!

It is crystal clear that you've made some awesome changes! But this is a journey and it's an ever changing one at that. Things don't stay the same. People don't stay the same. For whatever reason, most likely that you weigh less now so therefore you require less fuel now, it's stopped working. It's not that you're doing something wrong, it's just your requirements have changed. And good for you for recognizing that. It's really not all that mind boggling when you think about it. You have to always be open to what your body requires and that WILL change from time to time.

And yes, we can see (hear) that you're stubborn, that being the case - that excess weight doesn't stand a chance ;). I look forward to hearing of your continued progress :).

PeanutsMom704 03-09-2010 01:37 PM

Pinky -

Are there any foods that you specifically feel full on? Whatever they are, I'd build your day around those, and then fill in with everything else.

I would also look at any other ways to reduce your hunger - gum or mints, maybe?

I think the bottom line is that you are are eating more food than your body needs, but it's not fun to be hungry and you aren't going to stick to a plan that leaves you feeling that way.

So you've got to focus on whatever it is that makes you feel full and satisfied, and that will help you to cut back on everything else.

Good luck!!

oodlesofnoodles 03-09-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 3190365)
I just want to mention here that I think the kind of "plateau" PinkyPie is experiencing is a self induced one - one in which she's taking in too many calories, you even said so yourself. So I don't see how INCREASING calories and fat could possibly "solve" this "plateau".

And really, our bodies/our systems don't need to be JOLTED in order to have weight loss occur. We just have to keep providing our bodies/our systems with a calorie DEFICIT.

Since I'm not familiar with WW I thank you for the info on the "free" foods. What you mentioned seems somewhat more reasonable. I wonder if it's different here then where PinkyPie is.

I just gave that as a suggestion, in case she was following her plan strictly, which from what I read it seemed like she was.

And I've heard, personally, stories where people followed their plan the same as they had for weeks or months before, and hit a stubborn plateau. They had a lax weekend, and on Monday morning they broke the plateau. It scientifically doesn't make sense, but I've seen it happen. There's also numerous stories here on 3FC about it.

Oh, and you're welcome. There's often confusion about what's "free", but now I know there really isn't that much "free" food.