3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How often do you weigh yourself? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/195223-how-often-do-you-weigh-yourself.html)

RynKay 02-25-2010 12:06 AM

How often do you weigh yourself?

I am curious how often I should weigh myself. Lately, I have been weighing myself once a week, but as I read posts on here, it seems many people weigh themsevles everyday. All in all, I am simply curious as to how often you weigh yourself, and why? :)

lolajean624 02-25-2010 12:37 AM

I weigh myself everyday - sometimes several times. The reason is because I want to see how clothes, food, sleep, water, etc. change my weight. Also, because there is such a difference in scales! My regular scale is different than my doctors scale and the scale at MRC (where I weigh in twice a week) - so mainly it's curiosity. I suppose there is a little obsessive compulsive disorder going on tool :)

bensempress 02-25-2010 12:40 AM

I weigh myself once a week, sometimes I admit that I take a peek in between :o

I can see how weighing yourself often could benefit many women but I'm one that would drive myself insane... I almost do weighing in weekly! lol

katybug12 02-25-2010 01:01 AM

I've recently made a pledge to myself to not weigh until the 1 month mark of my journey (now if only I can actually do it.) I want to do this so I know I will at least see a loss. I easily become unmotivated and I believe that by seeing a loss FOR SURE, it will only motivate me to keep going!

angelamick 02-25-2010 02:27 AM

i used to weigh once a week but now i weigh everyday. when you get down to losing less than 20 lbs. you need to make sure you are on track. it sucks if i haven't lost anything at the end of the week, when maybe if i had weighed mid-week i could have made a correction earlier. i DO NOT however weigh myself multiple times a day, because my weight fluctuates wildly (up to 5 lbs in a day!). that would be way to discouraging. i weigh first thing in the am with no clothes, so i see the lowest weight i will be all day.

lora m 02-25-2010 08:42 AM

Probably about 3 times a week. Although I am doing Weight Watchers I don't go to meetings at present, so I count Wednesday, the day I started the diet, as my weigh-in day and keep a record of that weight each week. Often I also take a look on Sunday as I usually eat out on Saturday, to see where I am, and I find it hard to resist a sneaky-peek on Tuesday. It doesn't usually stress me out, though it was frustrating when the Tuesday weight was better than Wednesday despite sticking to my points.

grrrkgrrrl 02-25-2010 08:58 AM

i weight myself every morning before my shower.

i have been doing this ever since i bought a pair of scales (when i started my diet, before i didn't even have one!).

it helps to see those little changes, and how they affect your body- especially for a woman and TOM, and has been teaching me how the body behaves-especially in relation to my previous night's dinner choices.

if you do that, it's very important to accept the normal flunctuations and don't become upset if you do not see a loss every day!--a gain for me is scary thou!

carter 02-25-2010 09:22 AM

I posted to a very similar thread a couple of days ago (it's a popular question :)) so I'll quote myself:

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
I have to weigh every morning, so that I know my patterns. Like many people I have very significant fluid swings - up to 3 or 4 pounds - so if I only weighed once a week, I could get unlucky and have a real loss for the week obscured by a water swing. That would drive me crazier than the daily fluctuations do - the daily fluctuations no longer drive me crazy because I expect and understand them. By weighing every day, I get to see and be proud of all the lows, even though I know I'm likely to bounce back from them a little the next day or two.

Here's the thread, in case you want to browse more answers:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-yourself.html

angieaang 02-25-2010 10:38 AM

While I'm in weight loss mode, I try to weigh only once a week. When I hit goal and enter maintenance, I want to start weighing everyday to keep a closer eye on things.

Cali Doll 02-25-2010 10:45 AM

I weigh every single day. I don't like surprises (unless they are the good kind). I need to know what I'm doing on a daily basis. I need to know how different foods impact me on the scale.

I sometimes weigh at night just to see where I am. I only do this when I feel particularly skinny at night and it's usually the night before a weight-tracking day. I also know that I weigh about 2.5/3 pounds heavier at night than I will the next morning. So, I do the math when I have the occasional night-weigh.

ACivE 02-25-2010 10:47 AM

Each morning.

...I figure I can't do that much "damage" in one day so if I check in each morning, nothing will get too out of hand.

Thighs Be Gone 02-25-2010 10:48 AM

I was weighing daily for months. Now I am weighing once or twice a week. I have not had any sustainable loss in probably 6 months.

Missita 02-25-2010 05:14 PM

I weigh myself every morning first thing, just to see where I'm at, but to me any losses or anything don't count until my weekly weigh in day.

caryesings 02-25-2010 05:59 PM

Yes this is a popular question, yet I find myself answering every time because I feel my strategy has been a major factor in my success so far. Initially I did not weigh in for 72 days. I knew I needed to stick with a long term change, and for me, the scale can derail me. If I'm doing better than expected, I can let things slide a bit and if worse than expected, I tend to think "what's the point". I now weigh in once each month.

However, that said, I do track my average calorie deficit to make sure I am staying in a range that will keep me in weight loss mode.

LuckyJules 02-25-2010 06:13 PM

This is a popular topic! I was like, wait a second, I thought I posted in this thread?!? ...It was the other one.

So I'll also quote myself: :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyJules
Usually every morning. I get up before my shower, use the bathroom if needed, then just before I jump into the shower, I step onto the scale. I use the same time and same routine to try and stay consistent. I also try to stand in the same place on the scale... not sure if that makes a difference, but I do it anyway.