3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Question-- RE: Back Fat, Back Rolls..... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/192887-question-re-back-fat-back-rolls.html)

dixie818 02-01-2010 07:08 AM

Question-- RE: Back Fat, Back Rolls.....

Ok so.....i cant seem to find this on the forum, if its been covered, please link me :)
Back fat...those fun little rolls that multiply from your bra line to your jeans... how the heck do u get rid of them? I know you cannot spot reduce....but is there any excersize that works that area well? Its nasty...i hate it.... i expect tummy rolls...but when it looks like I have a bag of hotdog buns up the back of my shirt...well i hate it LOL!

any help>!:D

Meg 02-01-2010 07:20 AM

You're right, you can't spot reduce (darn it!) So building or strengthening the muscle under your back fat won't make it go away; instead, you'll have strong muscles covered by a layer of fat. Your best strategy is sticking to your eating plan to create a calorie deficit; and for exercise, a combination of cardio to burn fat and full-body strength training to maintain and build your muscle mass (muscle is the calorie burner in our bodies! :flame:) Don't just focus on your back muscles because you'll create an imbalance with all your other muscles and that can lead to injury.

As the pounds of fat drop away, so will the back fat. We all have a stubborn area but when you lose enough fat, it HAS to go!!

Lori Bell 02-01-2010 09:37 AM

Meg always has a wonderful way of explaining things!

I just want to reiterate that what she says is true! I had such terrible back fat/ back boobs and it was disgusting...NOW, with just good old fashioned weight loss, it is all gone. My back is my favorite area on my body...very little saggy skin and slim....gosh, almost sexy. ;)

innae 02-02-2010 02:45 AM

WOW!! you are an inspiration -- :-)

to meg and lori...and to dixie, just know there are others out there with you :-)

dixie818 02-02-2010 06:49 AM

Ok thanks ladies! I figured as much.. no since in having a ripped back covered by jiggles LOL! I always tell my husband I have a 12 pack... its just hiding under all my fat LOL! Eh ok back to cardio/strength/good eating! this "correct" way is great...just wish it was FASTER! lol

mkendrick 02-02-2010 09:35 AM

I also know you can't spot reduce. My back rolls are gone for the most part, BUT, I don't know how to strengthen/tone my back. My abs are firm (under a layer of blubber, lol), but my back is still squishy. The only back exercise I know is squatting rows which seems to work the shoulder blade area the most.

Any suggestions?

Cali Doll 02-02-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkendrick (Post 3130847)
I also know you can't spot reduce. My back rolls are gone for the most part, BUT, I don't know how to strengthen/tone my back. My abs are firm (under a layer of blubber, lol), but my back is still squishy. The only back exercise I know is squatting rows which seems to work the shoulder blade area the most.

Any suggestions?

Consulting iFitness on my iPhone:

Chinups
Dead Lift
Seated Reverse Fly

...are just a few. Hope that helps.

SamanthaJubilee 02-02-2010 10:09 AM

I think doing core exercises helped me (the last time). My back felt really strong. All I used were 7 lb hand weights & a "weighted" balance ball.

thundahthighs 02-02-2010 10:40 AM

I do some core exercises that aren't difficult, but I do feel them targeting my mid and low back:
Quadraped
Superman
Cobra
The PLANK

The quadraped, you get on your hands and knees, knees under hips arms under shoulders, and slowly and strongly lift opposing limbs straight out - in other words, lift right arm and left leg, lower, and then left arm and right leg, lower - etc. ... the slower the better.
The superman, you just lay face down, and then, clenching your toosh and slowly and carefully, lift both legs and both arms at the same time. I wouldn't do that if you feel pain, I don't, so I do, and it kills after a bit.
The cobra is the yoga pose, on your tummy, legs straight out behind you toes pointed, and with your arms next to your breasts, lift your upper body off the floor using your back at first and then coming into a curled over your butt position with your arms straight. You should feel your mid back contracting. Again, if it hurts, don't do it!
The plank - you know the plank! Get at the top of a military pushup, or on your elbows, and HOLD IT until you die, keeping your back straight.
I bet you cold google those for much better descriptions! ;)

I have some rolls, and had some MAJOR back-boobs. Sheesh. I have the lower back indentation still, where the fat rolls were, but it's kinda sexy now if you ask me. I would like my back to stay soft looking, as hubs strongly prefers me "squishy", but I have a great spine, no problems, so I have been treating my back to some strengthening to keep it in great shape. My goal weight is a bit higher, so hopefully that will keep me looking soft.

Edited to add: Of course I also do upper back and shoulder moves, and I can FLEX back there now. But I didn't see any lower or mid back moves listed...

shortandfluffy 02-02-2010 10:51 AM

I hate that part of my body too! I always wear a tank under my shirts because it helps hide it.. a little bit.

But when I lost weight before that part went down tremendously. I wasn't exercising (which I should have been) but those little parts of my body I hated started shrinking. My thighs which I also hate started looking better.

Altari 02-02-2010 10:51 AM

I don't strength train, but I have seen my back-bacon get significantly less jiggly as I've lost weight. Strangely enough, right now my body seems to favor losing weight from that portion of my body. No change in hips and stomach over the last five or six pounds, but the bacon is slowly subsiding.

MrsLovett 02-02-2010 04:54 PM

I still have back fat and it's really disturbing me. Will it ever go away? Hmm...:(

MrsLovett

mkendrick 02-02-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsLovett (Post 3131839)
I still have back fat and it's really disturbing me. Will it ever go away? Hmm...:(

MrsLovett

I know I posted earlier in the thread that I don't know how to specifically tone my back, but when I AM in shape, my back gets very firm. I bet you'd be surprised if you tone your core/back (if you don't already), you'll realize that your back "fat" is actually muscle.

JayEll 02-02-2010 07:07 PM

Sometimes loose skin remains after fat has been lost. This may lessen over time.

Jay

Wild Vulpix 02-02-2010 07:35 PM

I want to add that when I was 159 I had a roll of back fat (BMI 31) but by 155, they were gone (BMI 30) so I suppose that you could also expect them to go away at about the same BMI level. Of course, everyone's different!