Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #31  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Oooh, I beg to differ with you. I think it's FUN being thin, slim trim and fit!!! LOADS FUN and any and all *work* done staying there is MORE than worth it. And knowing that this is PERMANENT, not just some silly phase or fad makes it all the more real, meaningful and yes - thrilling for me. Knowing that I get to eat this way and feel this way for the rest of my life is a great comfort to me.

And statistics? Who cares? Weight loss/gain/maintenance/re-gain is a CHOICE. It's a TREATABLE *condition*, we don't have to rely on chance in order for us to succeed at it, so therefore the statistics don't mean all that much. They're statistics that we can easily manipulate - by the choices we make.

Here's a post I copied and pasted from a thread about being harder to maintain weight loss than to lose:

I guess I do find maintenance more difficult because of the length of it. BUT on the other hand, it's also become automatic to me - the planning, shopping, chopping, cooking, eating this, not eating that, the exercise. It's all completely ingrained in me. It's automatic. It's just what I do and who I am. Completely second nature. Not an option not to do it. It's part of me now. Don't get me wrong, it still takes thought and a conscientious effort on my part, but it's part of my make up now. Though it does take effort, I could do it with my eyes closed so to speak. I KNOW, I really, really KNOW the affects and benefits of adhering to a healthy lifestyle and for me to not follow it, seems ludicrous now. So that does make it easier.

I had a blast during the time that I was losing weight. I found it thrilling to watch and experience all the incredible things that were happening to my shrinking body. I LOVED grasping that long lost control over food that was lacking for multiple decades. I loved finding new recipes and foods to eat that were both healthy AND delicious. I loved finding out about all the strength I had in me. I loved the self growth, self worth, self disciple and self respect that emerged.

But now that I'm in maintenance, I LOVE my huge array of clothing that I've gathered up. Getting dressed is a joy. I love never having to worry about what I will wear if I have to go - well - anywhere. I'm always "set". I love the continual self worth, growth, discipline and respect that's remained and increased. I love my boundless energy. I love doctors visits. I love socializing, I love living my day in day out life in a fit, trim, healthy best me that I can be body. It's an easier life. I love the fact that I get to wake up in a slim, trim healthy body and spend the day being that way and going to bed with satisfaction, then waking up and repeating the process. So though I'm no longer losing, staying the same has plenty of incredible benefits as well. Don't doubt it for a second. Knowing that I don't have to LOSE the weight, just keep it off is a wonderful feeling. Knowing that I've "done it" and don't have to "do IT" is a great feeling.

Maintenance isn't all that difficult. Certainly it has its ups and downs, which is to be expected. It's not always smooth sailing, but so what. What IS always smooth sailing???? Certainly not all the other wonderful things that matter in my life - my job, my marriage, raising my children, my friendships, running my household. I know what to do. I know what works for my body and what doesn't. And it's no where near, not even close by a gijillion miles, as difficult as being super morbidly obese, morbidly obese, obese or overweight. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Talk about difficult. Yikes!!

Maintenance is no burden, no hardship. It's a wonderful, happy place to be. It's a comfort and a joy to be here. It's peaceful, with much less worries and much more happiness.. I look forward to hearing of your progress and of hearing that you've experienced these wonderful things as well.
Robin, again you were able to speak your mind so eloquently! I too am thrilled that I do not have to lose the weight again, but losing weight was certainly thrilling and empowering! Over the course of my journey I was able to implement healthy changes in my lifestyle that are now habit. Changes that are easy to do and are a pleasure to keep up. No way do I want to go back to where I was. Living in a morbidly obese body was so much harder than doing the very best for myself emotionally, physically and spiritually. Sure there are days that I'm not feeling it (maintaining)--I feel the same way about my work, my marriage and family at times too. I'm human. Life throws you curveballs. Just this week, DH was laid off from his job of 12 years. Yes, it's a bummer. Am I going to resort to emotional eating? No way. That is not the answer and it will not solve the problem. Taking care of myself/maintaining is a habit now.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #32  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

there is nothing fun about weight. i think weight loss for me is one the hardest things i have to do in my life.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #33  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Robin, again you were able to speak your mind so eloquently! I too am thrilled that I do not have to lose the weight again, but losing weight was certainly thrilling and empowering! Over the course of my journey I was able to implement healthy changes in my lifestyle that are now habit. Changes that are easy to do and are a pleasure to keep up. No way do I want to go back to where I was. Living in a morbidly obese body was so much harder than doing the very best for myself emotionally, physically and spiritually. Sure there are days that I'm not feeling it (maintaining)--I feel the same way about my work, my marriage and family at times too. I'm human. Life throws you curveballs. Just this week, DH was laid off from his job of 12 years. Yes, it's a bummer. Am I going to resort to emotional eating? No way. That is not the answer and it will not solve the problem. Taking care of myself/maintaining is a habit now.
okay, now everything you said I have thought and actually said many times. I see we're on the same page!

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband losing his job. To say that that is rough is an understatement. I hope he's been compensated well and finds something 10X better and real soon.

Quote:
there is nothing fun about weight. i think weight loss for me is one the hardest things i have to do in my life.
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry that you feel this way. Are you still in the early stages? Because it does get better/easier/more rewarding as you go on. I did find the initial change over period very difficult. Changing a life time of poor habits is not easy. But once you get into it and those rewards start surfacing - look out because it's a thrill a minute.

I'm also wondering, because for me this was ESSENTIAL - are you eating delicious foods that you thoroughly enjoy - though again this takes time till you find the *right* foods for yourself.

Another thing that made it very hard for me in previous attempts was trying to do the everything in moderation route. That to me was VERY difficult. Once I started eating the junk-y/carb-y/sugar-y/fatt-y type foods it was very hard for me to stop. And my cravings for those things never ceased. But once I eliminated them , completely banned them, made them definite NO'S - this became SO much easier. SO MUCH. It was miraculous to me. And it's funny, because I thought I could NEVER give up those foods, that I could never live without them. Turns out the opposite was true!

Oooh, one more thing? Are you hungry? That I was not willing to deal with either. That's another reason eating the *right* foods is essential. Keeps you satiated, keeps your sugar levels good.

Perhaps your plan needs a little tweaking.

I urge you though to FIND the joy in this. Make this a game, a challenge. Look at it as a time of discovery and self growth.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-30-2010 at 01:56 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #34  
No description available.

I Robin!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #35  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I Robin!!
awww, you made me day.
oh and right back atcha.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 164/151/125

Height: 5'4"

I know its weird, huh? Last night I decided to go running, and I was like O.K. with it, I was kinda excited and happy to go running. While I was getting dresses I couldn't help but think, what has gotten into me? I'm excited about going running! Wow! So surprising. I ended up running 2 miles on the track! Something that I don't think that I have ever done in my life. I decided that I really like to run, when I'm finished I feel sort of a euphoric feeling. I love it!

But anyways, yes I agree, it's fun! I look forward to weighing myself every Sunday, I always try to push myself and drink one more glass of water than yesterday, or eat more veggies, or run that extra lap. It is very rewarding!

I just can't wait until I can see some results! I'm hoping at 145 I will be able to tell!
orangebelpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #37  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

For myself, I wouldn't call it fun as much as it is a rush and a sense of accomplishment that keeps me going. Stepping on the scale and seeing a new lower number makes it all worth it I also love trying on the clothes I wore twenty pounds ago and pulling on the waist. I wish I would have kept my pants from way back when I was about 250 lbs! I look forward to better days when I can actually call it more fun than frustrating. I have hit so many plateaus and obstacles because of quitting smoking and messed up hormones but in the end, I will be a healthier an happier person.
Reading threads like these and seeing everyone make positive changes is very motivating

Amanda
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I like the process too! Researching foods and exercises, tracking in fitday, grocery planning, grocery shopping, hanging out at 3FC.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote