Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #16  
Bikinis in Summer '10!

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Fast food for me! I think I should cut it out completely. I went about a week without it not too long ago. Then I decided to have just one chicken soft taco from taco bell. It seemed to set me off and I found myself hitting drive-thrus twice a day. I think it's time to give it up again.
Lauranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #17  
Oh buddy, it's on!

I thought taking fast food out of my diet would be difficult for me considering I don't cook and my life is pretty hectic but I've surprisingly handled it really well. I don't have cravings for it. At this point, it seems it was much more about the convenience than actually wanting the food I was putting into my mouth. Although, I admit, it does taste good. Haha.
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #18  
Batgirl will always win.

S/C/G: 201/197/(190 ST; 145 LT)

Height: 5'5

Ice cream and fried chicken. I've been okay without it actually!
BatgirlAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Fast food, mainly In-n-Out, which is my very favorite. Every once in a while, I crave it but I've found that I can find other, healthier options.

While I miss the ease of just picking up a burger, I've also found its just as easy to carry almonds, a fiber 1 bar or an apple with me. Saves both money and calories!
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 225/160/140

Height: 5'5"

Chinese takeout, loved it, still do probably but I won't eat it. I'm an addict one taste and I'm doomed so I just say no.
I do still eat chinese food, but I have brown rice and stir fried veggies. Shrimp and chicken dishes with vegetables and none of the rich yummy sauces. No egg rolls or crab rangoon, come on you can tell I sure would love to have some. Hee Hee, but I want to be healthy more, and have legs that don't rub together, ect ect.
Cravings are normal, we are human. But overcoming them makes us special.
justformenow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #21  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneLess View Post
Fast food. I have cut back so much it is insane... but I don't see how people absolutely never eat fast food. some days we are just not home... some days it has to be done. When we do eat it I at least no longer get a coke but get water but other than that I haven't really started making too great of choices there. Its coming though...
It's really not difficult at all. Sure, there are times I have to eat on the run. Starbucks has fresh bananas and soymilk. Sonic has fresh bananas and apple slices. Running into a grocery store and grabbing some prewashed produce is just as fast as waiting in line at the drive-thru plus it burns a few calories. Honestly though, I rarely do any of these things. I keep food in my purse and always have something ready to go. The tastes I don't miss. Not at all.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #22  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Cheese - I gave up cheese for the most part when I first started on my weight loss journey. I then went vegan and gave up cheese entirely.

Pizza was never one of my things. I still eat pizza, cheeseless and it fits into my plan but I never really cared for pizza until after I started losing weight. Not sure why. Funny thing too is that 70 lbs of my loss included fairly frequent pizza outings (once a month). While I was going from 290 to 220, we were eating out at a local pizza parlor at least once a month, sometimes more. I wasn't vegetarian at the time but we usually ordered a veggie pizza (which had broccoli, cheese and other stuff on it), sometimes sausage along with the veggies. The pizza place is known for having nonfat crust/sauce and is really good. My husband used to joke because every weekend that I seemed to lose, it would be the weekend we ate pizza, he'd call it my 'secret fat loss weapon'.

We stopped going to the pizza parlor after we gave up cheese, mostly because it was hard to justify a pizza for $17 that was just crust, sauce and veggies. I'll either make my own once in a while or buy a frozen Amy's pizza.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Foods I cannot live without are as follows, but I make sure to add them into my daily calories once in a while as a treat!

Chocolate-I'll buy some good quality dark chocolate once in a while and have a small piece.
Pizza-I allow myself 2 slices a month from a pizza shop.
Peanut butter-I buy natural and allow myself one sandwich a week.
Homemade cookies--I just avoid em and I'm fine if I don't start.

But my personal Kriptonite, my thing.....CUPCAKES!!!!!! Once in blue moon, I'll buy one a local bakery near work. Not having them ever again is not an option.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #24  
Just Me

Quote:
Fast food. I have cut back so much it is insane... but I don't see how people absolutely never eat fast food. some days we are just not home... some days it has to be done. When we do eat it I at least no longer get a coke but get water but other than that I haven't really started making too great of choices there. Its coming though...
I absolutely abhor fast food. Ever since I was young, I hated fast food. The only exception was that once in a while I used to like having the bean burrito at taco bell. About 6 months ago, we were on a road trip in the middle of no where and I suggested we stop for bean burritos for old times sake. I knew that at 300 calories, it would fit into my calories but oh my god... I felt so sick after eating it. I forgot how heavy/dense they are and my stomach was so upset at me. I can probably count on my fingers how many times I've eaten fast food in my life and most of those times, it wasn't my choice. (And to think of it, that taco bell trip was the first time my husband and I had been out to fast food in our 5 year relationship)

I would disagree that it has to be done because we tend to travel with food or we go to places we like, such as Chipotle. If I know we are going to be gone all day, such as if we were going biking or hiking, I'd make sandwiches but usually I carry sometime of bar, such as a Luna bar with me, more for my husband than myself.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 260/236/145

Height: 5'4"

Mine would have been:

Bacon Baguettes - Usually smothered with Mayo
Chips
Chinese/thai takeout

All of these I've found a way of replacing them with healthy and/or smaller options, and I actually now prefer the healthy ones because they make me feel good as well as tasting good. Lays baked chips were my savior, they really are delicious. For the Baguettes I usually head to subway and have turkey with loads of spinach, lettuce and cucumber and the smallest amount of light mayo. And Chinese I cook myself wit low cal sauces, lean meats and brown rice.
Ali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #26  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Fortunately for me I don't have a fast food habit - it's nice when you realize that there is a barrier you don't have to worry about!

But I love sweets, and I loved our "old" cooking. We would fry up some potatoes, sausage, eggs, etc for breakfast on weekend mornings, for example. My SO is the gravy and sauce king - he's an outstanding cook.

We had lots of pizza, and there are a couple of world-class pizza joints around here. I miss that.

I didn't give up cheese, but I am pretty careful. As a snack or dessert I will slice up an apple and eat it with 1 oz good cheese (I love gouda, for example). sliced thinly, 1 oz is more than enough to top my apple slices.

Mostly, thanks be to whatever you hold dear, I don't have cravings these days and I'm able to say no to those things. But I never go hungry and I like the stuff I'm eating, so I guess it all works out.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #27  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

This thread is delicious LOL.

My vice was chips and general salty snacks. I haven't touched a chip since I started losing weight in November. I have found it helpful to find healthier substitutions so I don't feel deprived. Smart Pop popcorn has replaced my higher fat snacks. It's not perfect but I feel better eating it than an entire bag of Mrs. Vicky's sea salt and malt vinegar chips in one sitting I also adore bacon and there is a running joke in my family that I am the bacon queen. I allow myself turkey bacon on occasion. Granted, its not a perfect substitute but its better than nothing .
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 374/ticker/size 12

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
It's really not difficult at all. Sure, there are times I have to eat on the run. Starbucks has fresh bananas and soymilk. Sonic has fresh bananas and apple slices. Running into a grocery store and grabbing some prewashed produce is just as fast as waiting in line at the drive-thru plus it burns a few calories. Honestly though, I rarely do any of these things. I keep food in my purse and always have something ready to go. The tastes I don't miss. Not at all.

I agree its not that difficult for me to do with some foods but it is for my 4 year old. He can't just eat fruit all day..kwim? And if we are out shopping from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m (out of town) its not easy to have a ham sandwich packed for him. Well, I guess I am lying - it is easy but I don't want to. Not yet.
oneLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #29  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

For me, it's pizza and Chinese takeout. Those are huge binge foods for me. It was not uncommon for me to buy Papa John's pizza (well, I should say 2 or 3 pizzas) to eat for lunch/dinner all week, and then get Chinese takeout during that same week. And I'd probably hit up Wendy's at some point too.

I am shocked I didn't get over 300 pounds considering I had been eating like that for years.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #30  
Just Me

Quote:
I agree its not that difficult for me to do with some foods but it is for my 4 year old. He can't just eat fruit all day..kwim? And if we are out shopping from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m (out of town) its not easy to have a ham sandwich packed for him. Well, I guess I am lying - it is easy but I don't want to. Not yet.
There are a lot of foods that don't require ice packs that can be easily packed. Although even if you wanted a ham sandwich, just a small lunch cooler and an ice pack would last the day. I do it all the time for work and I've done it on road trips.

Things like a peanut butter sandwich, some baby carrots, grape tomatoes, celery and peanut butter, peanut butter/banana wrapped in a tortilla, etc are good things that last well without refrigeration and should be kid friendly. Although I'm sure you'd want to model healthy habits for your kid and have them follow, just because you feed your family X (whatever X may be) doesn't mean you have to eat it. You could pack something for yourself if need be.