Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #1  
Ericabauw

Question Is losing weight fast bad??

So I have been on a strict diet for just about a week, and if my scale isn't totally wacked its told me I've already lost 10 pounds. I consider some of those pounds lost from bloating and stuff but...

That doesn't seem right at ALL to me but i got on and off and on and off and... well you get the idea... and it comes up with the same number every time.

I'm excited, but I'm also concerned. I've heard that losing weight quickly gives you more of a chance to put it back on in the future. Is that true? Am I doing something wrong here and if so what do i do to stop?!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/292/200

Height: 5'6"

I think it depends on what you're doing for your diet. Would you be willing to share? Maybe some of the more "experienced" people on here can offer some insight if they have an idea what it is you're doing
NannyJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You can lose a LOT of water weight the first week. That said...what is "strict"? Can you give a sample day? Are you counting calories?

It can be normal, and after a week, it's hard to say...if you're eating a healthy amount, it's not much to worry about. If you eat very little, though, it can result in easier re-gain.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

First of all, Way to go! Good job on a first week well done I wouldn't worry about the huge loss the first week, or even the first month to tell you the truth. If you don't start leveling off and becoming steady in a 1-2 pound a week loss, it's time to worry.

You can avoid any problems by making sure you're eating healthy, you're eating enough calories and you're moving!

What program are you using if any?

Congrats again and it's an awesome thing you've decided to do for yourself
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #5  
Ericabauw

ive cut my portions in half and ive eliminated sodas, and sugary or high calorie drinks, ice cream, fried foods, candy, and red meat from my diet. im not counting calories really strictly but id say i average about 800-1000 a day.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'd say, and I predict most here will agree that anything under 1,200 calories is too low... in fact you should probably be at 1,600-1,800 realistically.

You are off to an awesome start with cutting what you have, consider counting your calories using a program like fitday.com. This will help you to stay motivated, on track and to be able to make it through this journey without giving up.

Keep posting too! This place is the best when it comes to inspiration, support and ideas/feedback.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - too low. You'll get fast losses at 800-1000 calories per day, but your metabolism may get wrecked, making it harder to not regain the weight.

I'd recommend you start at 1500-1600 or so and adjust upward or downward depending on how quickly you're losing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #8  
Ericabauw

i wasnt sure what was too low i guess i should research that but im never hungry. when i am i just eat celery or a banana or drink some water. and with meals i have been finding myself full even when im not eating a lot.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

You may not feel hungry now, but from many reports here at 3fc, that may not last forever... perhaps you are in a dieting euphoria from the first week or two of dieting. You aren't giving your body much to work with. It's hard to get enough nutrition at lower calorie limits and that can cause other problems.

It can take a while to find the "sweet spot" where you're losing at a good rate, but eating in a way that's sustainable in the long term.

As for 10 pounds in the first week, that can happen when we first start... it will level off -- you won't lose like they do on Biggest Loser.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #10  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

I agree with Heather. The first week or two of a different diet involves a lot of trial and error. And honestly, once the scale starts going down, it's really difficult to think that we should change what we're doing. The concern right now is that 800-1000 calories is not going to be something you could or should sustain for any extended period of time.

And mandalinn is right. That may already be screwing with your metabolism. When I used to go to Curves, they told me that I could tell my metabolism was in good shape if I woke up and was hungry within the first hour. Maybe start eating every 2 - 3 hours and up those calories. That's probably going to be the safest way to lose weight & keep it off.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #11  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbySinthe View Post
When I used to go to Curves, they told me that I could tell my metabolism was in good shape if I woke up and was hungry within the first hour.
A bit off-topic, but thanks for sharing this! It sounds like a quick, easy, rough n ready way to tell if things are working properly inside.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #12  

Height: 5'5.5"

Wow. You made terrific decisions about what to cut out of your diet. The first week I lost 14lb. It was mostly water weight though and I haven't lost anything like that much in any later weeks. If you are at 800-1000 you need to increase your calories. The minimum for women is 1200 a day. You look young in your picture so you probably need more as a minimum. You can add some healthy fats like nuts to increase the calories without feeling stuffed. If you think about staying low calorie please, please see a doctor and get checked out first.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

when I did WW for the first time, my first "diet", I was on 1200 calories and lost 13 lbs the first week. yes, a lot of that is water weight, and I think it's pretty normal that you experienced that. I'd say talk to a nutritionist and/or doc about calorie levels. It's your health and that's very important
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm another who lost a good 10-12 lbs that first week.

I suggest counting your calories just to make sure you are in the range you think you're in. I love the idea of cutting portions in half. That's a great start. But if you aren't used to what a 200-300 calorie meal looks like you are at great risk for over estimating or under estimating your caloric intake. I'm really bad about over estimating it, meaning I tend to eat too little. It's really important to keep at or above that 1200 mark.

Congratulations on your first week! I hope it is as highly motivating for you as it was to me!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #15  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericabauw View Post
ive cut my portions in half and ive eliminated sodas, and sugary or high calorie drinks, ice cream, fried foods, candy, and red meat from my diet. im not counting calories really strictly but id say i average about 800-1000 a day.

The first week is typically an awesome weight loss week, especially if you were/are a carbo junkie. Carbo"hydrate" means those little buggers water-log you well...

Also, I would encourage you to find a good calorie counter and figure exactly how many calories you are eating a day. I'll venture to say you are probably eating more than you estimate. I heard a bariatrics surgeon say on TV the other night that most people eat 75% MORE calories than they "estimate".

Even at 1500 calories a day 10 pounds for the first week is not unheard of, and pretty common...just make sure you are being smart and safe.

It is a myth that you will gain back your weight if you take it off fast. No one can determine that except you. You gain back your weight when you quit working your program. I'd say that my original weight loss of 180 pound in 16 months was fast in many peoples eyes, but I have kept if off for 6 months now which is a WORLDS record for me. I've lost less weight in double the time and put it all back on within a month or 2. Slow and steady works great for a lot of people, but it is not the ONLY *right* way. (Look at WLS for example...big trend with doctors) Only you and your doctor can deteremine the *right* way for you. Go see him/her.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-15-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote