Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #46  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
JayEll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #47  

Failure

Well, bombed pretty good last night. 7 hour party, 4 slices of pizza and 8 peanut butter cup cookies and a margarita. Blew calories pretty bad yesterday at around 3.8K I think

What I would have probably done is eaten a large meal before hand or like a filling protein smoothie or something before going to help. But with family here that was kind of embarrassing. That's kind of an excuse, but it's kind of embarrassing to not be able to live life normally on a day like everybody else.

I also learned why I need to just stay away from sweets. I ate a couple of reeses peanut butter cup cookies, a favorite of mine, and before I knew it I had more in my hands while chewing the ones in my mouth. I'm worse at portion control than I should be with desserts so since I don't really crave them it's better to just stay away.

My calories have been VERY swingy this week. I was pretty good Monday, and pretty far under on Tue/Wed and way over yesterday. We will see the impact that has...
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #48  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well, randomcards, you are not alone. Plus you've had a chance to see just how easy it is to slip up from time to time, especially on holidays.

You just know something is wrong when you have more cookies in your hands while you're still chewing the last one.

Planning is the key here, and even the best plans sometimes don't get followed. For example, you could have decided in advance that you would eat 3 slices of pizza and 2 peanut butter cookies. Of course, maybe you didn't know that's what would be served, in which case you would have needed another strategy. Also, sometimes alcohol loosens inhibitions up... control goes out the window... Well, it's all water under the bridge!

So, drink plenty of water today, try to get some light exercise, and eat reasonably. Don't try to offset last night by working out like a fiend and starving all day--that just sets up a bad pattern.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Well, randomcards, you are not alone. Plus you've had a chance to see just how easy it is to slip up from time to time, especially on holidays.

You just know something is wrong when you have more cookies in your hands while you're still chewing the last one.

Planning is the key here, and even the best plans sometimes don't get followed. For example, you could have decided in advance that you would eat 3 slices of pizza and 2 peanut butter cookies. Of course, maybe you didn't know that's what would be served, in which case you would have needed another strategy. Also, sometimes alcohol loosens inhibitions up... control goes out the window... Well, it's all water under the bridge!

So, drink plenty of water today, try to get some light exercise, and eat reasonably. Don't try to offset last night by working out like a fiend and starving all day--that just sets up a bad pattern.

Good luck!
Jay
Appreciate the encouragement, we will always fail sometimes. I think the other lesson I learned as I counted up my calories is how different one cheat "meal" is from a full day. If I had eaten well on-plan all day until the evening and eaten the same amount at the party I would have just been slightly over instead of waaaayyy off.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #50  

1/1 New Year's Day

After my biggest failure on plan yet on New Year's Eve I was pretty nervous about today. New Year's Day is normally a bingefest of snack foods and football bowl games, but I knew I couldn't have two terrible days in a row.

Turns out I had a really really good day! Ate really well, good portions and avoided any bad foods despite having a houseful of guests.

Biggest success was avoiding this crockpot chocolate concoction my wife made for the houseguests with ice cream. I really really wanted a large bowl which would have been like 600-800 calories, but I avoided the temptation entirely.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #51  

Saturday 1/2

Sorry for the short posts recently, have not had time for much with family in town. All family is leaving early in the morning, and while that is always a bummer it will be nice to get back on normal plan...

Haven't been to the gym since Wednesday, but today while the kiddo took a nap I did about 40 minutes of the new EA Sports More Workouts which is a good workout, had me sweating really hard. So got in a reasonable exercise today despite the guests.

I was able to hit the top end of my calorie range today. This last week has seen huge variations in the calories intake, so not sure how much that will punish me come weigh-in.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #52  

Mini Success!

Woke up this morning and didn't have any of my normal pants to wear so tried on an older pair that was a size smaller than my "fat" size that I was busting out of. And they fit! Only 4 more pants sizes to go lol

Tomorrow's weigh-in day, will be interesting to wrap up the holidays. I'm hoping for a 3-4, but figure 1-2 is more realistic.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #53  

Uh-Oh Alert

Just found out at 9am that I have to be on a 5pm flight to NYC.....

These are the things that derail me and I have used as excuses before. Now I just need to recognize and do better. It's tough to deal with the stress and speed of a day like today.

Now off to work...

EDIT:::
Just found out (after I bought a ticket) that my people told me wrong and I don't have to go until tomorrow. Nothing like killing 2 hours on the phone with a travel agent.....

Last edited by randomcards; 01-04-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #54  

Weekly Update - Week 4

Starting Weight - 260
Current Weight - 237
Pounds Lost This Week - 3

Well I got a 3 this week which I guess is reasonable. I think I would have been surprised by a bigger number and a little disappointed with a smaller number. While my loss has slowed each week (9, 6, 5, 3) I think I can continue to lost in the 2-4 range each week for a while at least.

This week marked the end of the holidays and had some good some bad. On the bad side I had by far my worst day on plan on NYE (like 4K calories), but other than that did really really good during 5 days with family houseguests. That was NOT easy...

Now we move into 2010, and I think back to how happy I am that I started in early December instead of doing the classic excuse "I'll wait until after the holidays".

Let's compare...if I was 260 in early December and continued old habits through December I could have easily been say 265 by today. But instead I am 237, which is almost a 30lb difference by starting in December.

SO START TODAY!

Diet Observations

Calories for the week...this is actually a graph of my calorie intake since I started tracking on MyDailyPlate on Dec 9th...

It is goes backwards from what you would expect...

So mixed bag, the huge NYE day, big failure. But made some really good choices and avoided big temptation with company. My wife (and her family) are known for doing really huge amazing country breakfasts which she did every day we had guests. And instead of doing my usual 2-3 biscuits smothered in gravy - 2 eggs, smothered in cheese with 4 pieces of bacon, I did about 1/3rd of that! Also avoided some really sinful desserts.

It's a tough balance with company, because I understand my wife's desire to both support me yet be a good hostess and cook "good" favorites for family. It's a tough line, so I got to practice discipline!

Other big observation that you can see from my graph is that I am not real consistent with calorie intake, i.e. the variations day to day are really large. I'm not sure what impact that has on my weight loss. Part of me thinks it might be good and part thinks it might be bad. I dipped too low several times this week which is a result of eating too little (I'm not skipping meals or snacks, just too low-calorie) before dinner. Then not wanting to binge and eat a oversized dinner just to get more calories in. Maybe I should? Still working out the kinks in this whole eating thing...

Exercise Observations

Monday - Gym
Tuesday - Gym
Wednesday - Gym
Thu - Nothing
Friday - Wii
Saturday - Wii
Sunday - Wii

Another challenging week with the gym (I go to a small church gym with limited hours) being closed a fair amount and not being able to go as easily with guests in town.

Going M-W really helped get the week off to a good start. I was starting to get pretty comfortable with the weights I did on the machines so decided to go up a level after the New Year. I went today and went up a bar on all the machines I use and was able to do all of them. This basically means I can already do about 30-35% more weight with the same reps that I could a month ago! Obviously this pace won't continue, but I do feel myself getting stronger. My ankles and knees are feeling a lot better, but I'm going to ease back into more high impact veeerrrrrry slowly.

As you can see above I got a Wii over the holidays with some extra poker money. I purchased both Wii Fit Plus as well as EA Sports Active: More Workouts. I'll post a review of them here later, but found them to be useful over the weekend when I couldn't get to the gym.

I have to avoid thinking the Wii will replace gym workouts because it's not the same, but it is a useful enhancement to my routine, especially since it's pretty different from what I do at the gym which should help keep my body guessing.

I'm considering trying to do a shorter mini-workout in the evenings on the Wii even on days I go to the gym. I'm going to tread very carefully there, because I don't want to overtrain or burnout. So it will be an experiment with how I feel and how it impacts my normal workout the next day.

Looking Forward to Next Week
Pretty straightforward week. I do have to do a 2.5 day trip this week so need to be careful...pretty much all the same stuff I posted several weeks ago for my first trip. This is my second trip on plan so still have a lot of learning/practice to do for avoiding major pitfalls. Fortunately I think this trip will be pretty mild like the last one was. Nice to get some practice on trips where I don't have to work 14 hour days...

While I am doing this tracker for myself, I hope anybody that glances at it can pick things up from my failures and successes. If you have any advice or tips, feel free to share!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 315/302/220

Height: 6'1

Default Wow

Amazing thanks for posting, congratulations u are my new sponsor!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything you have talked about is so true, i.e, eating fast, finishing off other's meals, over indulging!!!! B's and G's are my weakness as well as CHIPS!!! I have to start working out!!!!! Thanks again for the details in following you on your journey, really helps to have someone in my shoes!!!! Keep up the good work.

Tucker
tuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 220/195/145

Height: 5/3

Wow Random, you are such an analytical thinker and writer. I like the fact that you are sharing your highs and lows in this forum. It's holding you accountable. My husband and I just started our healthy lifestyle changes yesterday and I'm really enjoying reading the successes and setbacks that everyone experiences. It makes me feel more human and normal. This forum is so healthy for those of us who fail...because we can see that's it's possible to pick up the next day in a drive for success. I also sing and play for our worship team on Sundays...and of course, there are donuts in the kitchen for fellowship time. Eating one or two donuts between practice and the service didn't seem so awful before. Now, I take a bottled water and have a fiber one bar to hold me over until church is over. You're making great strides. I know it must be so difficult with your bride expecting your second child, and having some heavy duty cravings. I applaud you. You have so many obstacles to overcome, but you are doing it. Keep up the good work!
tbmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmmom View Post
Wow Random, you are such an analytical thinker and writer. I like the fact that you are sharing your highs and lows in this forum. It's holding you accountable. My husband and I just started our healthy lifestyle changes yesterday and I'm really enjoying reading the successes and setbacks that everyone experiences. It makes me feel more human and normal. This forum is so healthy for those of us who fail...because we can see that's it's possible to pick up the next day in a drive for success. I also sing and play for our worship team on Sundays...and of course, there are donuts in the kitchen for fellowship time. Eating one or two donuts between practice and the service didn't seem so awful before. Now, I take a bottled water and have a fiber one bar to hold me over until church is over. You're making great strides. I know it must be so difficult with your bride expecting your second child, and having some heavy duty cravings. I applaud you. You have so many obstacles to overcome, but you are doing it. Keep up the good work!
Sunday morning is really killer for me too! Our class rotates breakfast and it seems as if each family tries to one up the others in tasty (and unhealthy) fare... If I don't partake, I'm even more starved at lunch and really tempting to join friends and binge at lunch. Grrr
Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #58  

Take THAT life...

Life tried to throw me a curveball today...And I threw it back

I had a super fast commute to the airport and got there like 45-60 minutes early for my flight. So since I live by a really really large airport I decided to get dropped an entire terminal away and walk all the way to my gate for a little bonus exercise and to pass the time in a healthy way.

So I get through security, didn't even look at the boarding pass I just printed (I fly a lot) and after I get through I realize that they moved my gate not only to the Terminal I was at, but the gate I was flying out of was right across from where I just entered security...pretty amazing considering the airline takes up around 100 gates at this airport.

I was kind of chuckling inside at the irony when I had a sudden impulse...So I decided to walk all the way to the old gate (in the other terminal) and BACK in the time I had... I even skipped the moving walkways.

~4,000 steps on my pedometer

Also did great with food, planned ahead, ate a filling meal before heading to the airport, grabbed a healthy salad to take on the plane and ended up great for the day.

Tomorrow will be tough with clients and what not...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 220/195/145

Height: 5/3

Default Take that Class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomcards View Post
Sunday morning is really killer for me too! Our class rotates breakfast and it seems as if each family tries to one up the others in tasty (and unhealthy) fare... If I don't partake, I'm even more starved at lunch and really tempting to join friends and binge at lunch. Grrr
Well, how about you one up them by bringing something healthy and tasty to your class the next time you and your wife are on the ticket to bring breakfast? You can just say that you love all of the delicious breakfasts that your friends bring, but you want to bring something different that you hope everyone will enjoy. Maybe you can set a new trend. In fact, there might be some others who are hoping for someone to break the current trend.
tbmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #60  

Wednesday Jan 6th

Pretty good day overall... Kind of nice to be in NYC even though it is cold as it is a fun place to just get out an walk. On the other hand I feel fatter here, since I'm pretty sure the average weight here is like 40 lbs less than my hometown.

Food
Breakfast in hotel, cup of fruit and a 60 cal yogurt...skipped a lot of bad stuff
Lunch at a sushi place, ordered a seaweed salad and a single roll with some sashimi
Dinner was a chicken pesto panini with about half the chips they put in the box (unbeknownst to me). Not the best but I think I was ok calorie wise overall today

Exercise
Gym early in the AM (see observation below)
Walked to client location and back - total 1.6 miles
Took a long walk after work - total 2.5 miles

Observation 1 - Can success be a failure?
I had a technical success today, but I'm not so sure it wasn't actually a failure. The success was getting up super early and going to the gym. Why could that be a failure??? Because I wasn't smart about it and it made me pretty miserable.

-After a late flight and losing an hour to the time change I only slept for 5 hours, and was exhausted when I forced myself out of bed much earlier than I normally do
- I went to work out before caffeine or breakfast, leaving me feeling a bit nauseated and sickly feeling
- Only machine free was the treadmill so I did 25 minutes of alternating 2 minute walk with 1 minute fast run...I hate the treadmill, it doesn't feel good and it just wasn't pleasant

So the net results afterwards wasn't the normal warm fuzzie energized feeling after the gym, it was a tired, miserable, I hope I never do that again feeling. I think that mental negative impact might well outweigh the physical gain of working out....

I'm torn because part of me says that doing what is easy is how I got to this point in the first place, and the other part of me says that if I do a lot of stuff that is miserable or I have to really force that it won't become habit and I'll just regress at a later date.

I don't know I'm going back and forth here????

Observation 2 - Temptation Everywhere
It is so hard to be good on the road, and NYC is even worse. Walking past so many pizza places, and other amazing food on every block is just really tough. And there are more things outside my control. I ordered a panini on the way home and didn't realize until I opened the box in my hotel room that it came with a ton of Ruffles...I haven't had chips in weeks.... I only ate half of them but it was about more than I could handle

Also when I get to my hotel room last night at almost midnight there is a nice large bag of CrackerJacks sitting on my bedside table. What's up with that? Just bypassing my normal Venti Starbuckschino when on the road was a challenge today.

I'm trying to realize that I can't live my life in a protected bubble in my house (especially with my job), but some days it feels as if life is trying to get me to mess up.

Last edited by randomcards; 01-06-2010 at 09:13 PM.