Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #16  

Height: 5'6.5"

Strangely, I never thought to give myself concrete rewards for the milestones in between now and goal . . . Lightbulb moment! . . . .Although I do have something in mind to reward myself for getting to goal, now I have to go think up some more.

Thanks!
beatific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #17  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
The truth is that when I want to binge on food, no amount of external motivators really stop me from doing it....I just have to remind myself that I want desperately to reach my goal. Sorry to be a downer! This is a fun topic, but I've found that having rewards are great for celebrating, but they are just rewards and they really don't change my behavior. I wish they would but the lure of food is just too powerful.
Doesn't make you a downer, just means this isn't a tactic that works for you.

Look, losing weight is simple, right? Eat less, exercise more. All the rest is the games and manipulations and motivations we trick ourselves with to make those two things happen, because they are a lot easier to say than to do. But since we're all different, different games work differently on us.

You say the only that that can fight the lure of food is reminding yourself that you want to reach your goal - that's great! But I find that such long-term thinking is utterly wasted on me. Oh, I get it in an intellectual way, but not in a way that's going to get me to put down the donut right now.

I need to balance the lure of the donut against a concrete pain that I am going to feel now - not a vague and unspecified pain that I might feel at some unknown time in the future. And that's why tying daily food choices to some immediate consequence, like not getting to buy any new music this week, works for me.

Last edited by carter; 11-05-2009 at 12:19 PM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote