TOM advice, please help!

• So my TOM is coming up in about a week, it'll be my first since attempting this weight loss journey. I've done so well with eating and not cheating, and working out at least a few times a week.

Every time it get's around that time, I know I'm going to start feeling lazy and miserable and crave candy and chocolate.

Part of me is hoping I won't feel this way since I've been eating healthier and working out. Part of me is scared that this is what is going to push me off the wagon. I've never stuck to a diet this long before. When I should be getting bloated, I'm still slowly losing weight which is odd.

I'm hoping you all can give me your tips on how you avoid feeling lazy and eating bad food when it's this time for you!

Give me strength 3FCers!

• The dreaded TOM. Those are the 3 words women never want to hear. I have to admit that I have an extremely hard time with my TOM and most always give in to some kind of craving, but you dont have to let it ruin your weight loss. I always avoid the scale during my TOM and just jump back on when its gone. My only advice is to just do what you can if you feel like working out do it if you want a piece of chocolate eat it, but only in small moderation. Try drinking water if you feel the urge to eat everything in site (Which I do on my TOM) You have to remember that this isnt a temporary fix this is a lifetime and you have to learn to adjust and you cant expect to never screw up. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • It's just a couple of days. Stay focused on your long-term plans. Don't keep your favorite dangerous foods around you; put up an obstacle to getting them (use your laziness for good instead of evil ).

It's just a couple of days. If you find yourself craving [whatever it is you crave]l tell yourself "I'll have that tomorrow." Then the next day, tell yourself "I'll have that tomorrow."
  • My downfall at TOM is also the chocolate. But I'd say, as Pammy did, if you really crave the chocolate, have a small piece.

Alternately, if you're really craving chocolate, have a pickle. I know it sounds odd, but if you eat a pickle, you'll stop craving chocolate. ...for a while, at least.

Since you're not experiencing your usual signs, maybe your body is getting used to the new you, and it won't be as bad as you think! Hang in there!
  • Quote:
    Every time it get's around that time, I know I'm going to start feeling lazy and miserable and crave candy and chocolate.

I'm hoping you all can give me your tips on how you avoid feeling lazy and eating bad food when it's this time for you!

Give me strength 3FCers!

Well just because you crave candy, chocolate and "bad" food, doesn't mean you have to have it. Correct? Nothing awful will happen to you. You WILL survive without it. You're a big girl - it's more then okay to tell yourself no. You're a mature, responsible, sensible adult. Who's made a decision to better her life by shedding the pounds and be a health minded person. TOM will be here every single month. The requirements of adhering to a weight loss program and a healthy lifestyle don't change just because the circumstances do (TOM or any other time).

Cravings are strong but you must be stronger. Make no bones about it you ARE stronger. There is no doubt in my mind. I'm CERTAIN of it. Dig down deep. Pull out all the stops. Get through it - anyway that you can. Get past the initial very temporary discomfort. Drink hot tea, a sliced apple, take a walk, a bath, a manicure, pedicure, do a puzzle, read, write, clean the toilets - whatever.

Laziness? Push yourself. You still shower, brush your teeth, go to work, run your household during TOM. This is no different.

Oh and plan the heck out of that time. Plan. Plan. And plan some more. Food journal. Have healthy delicious foods on hand. Go beyond what you've mastered. Grow. Reach. Stretch. Strive. Astound yourself with all that you are capable of. You won't regret it. Not one little, itty bitty bit.
  • I think you're already gotten some really good advice but I wanted to add one more thing.

So what? So what if you have a day or so where you royally screw up? Its one day in the course of a lifetime. The biggest issue is letting that one day derail your whole journey. It make take you three months to deal with issues during your TOM...and thats ok. You have to make sure you forgive yourself for anything that could potentially happen (not that I'm saying it will, mind you)...and make sure you get right back into your diet and exercise the very next day, TOM or not.
  • The biggest thing you need to know is are you the type of person who is going to cut chocolate out of your life completely or not. Chocolate, of course, being a metaphor for whatever you might crave (TOM or not).

If you are trying to cut that out of your diet, then I'd suggest trying to avoid it.

That being said, if you're like me, you can't stick to a lifestyle change like this and stop eating the things you love just in an attempt to lose weight. If a certain diet plan means that I can't have chocolate and potatoes, then that isn't the plan for me. But I've learned in the last two weeks that counting my calories are extremely important to my success. I usually have my meals planned out one day in advance, aiming for my target in take. I haven't gotten to my first TOM since starting, but my goal is to stick to what I have been doing. I know that I generally cramp really bad the first day or so. (And I mean put you in bed, keep you up at night, hook me up to an ibuprofen drip, just shoot me now PLEASE because your back aches so much kinda bad.) Which means I am not going to beat myself up because I didn't have the strength, motivation, or energy to work out those two days. Now if the ibuprofen does it's job, I'll definitely work out but I'll probably make a point of avoiding ab exercises. Added pain, not necessary, thank you VERY much. XD

Back to your chocolate cravings, if you intend to try the moderation route, like I do, then I'd suggest looking into your low cal options ahead of time. Don't by too much chocolate, but you might what to have something available at your house so that you aren't tempted by that raspberry truffle midnight blizzard at Dairy Queen, you know?

(Oh, Dairy Queen - how I love thee... Let me count the ways. Ehem.)

Unfortunately, I think I'm starting to ramble now. Blame it on the time and the fact that I have to be up soon? ^^
  • I used to work at dairy queen when I was younger, I keep thinking about all the stuff I used to love there and how I haven't had it for years, I think that was the tip off that TOM was coming, haha.

You guys are right, I am a big girl, I should be able to be strong! There is no reason why not, right? I had a Curves 100 calorie chocolate granola bar last night when I was starving before bed, it helped my chocolate craving and kept me satisfied, so I might stick to those as my snack instead of fruit for now.

I dropped another pound yesterday, I don't want to have all that hard work go to waste, so I'm even more inspired to stay strong. I will try drinking water whenever I want something, hopefully that helps! I'm a notorious binge eater as well, so it's always a struggle for me.

Thanks!
  • It won't always be a struggle...
    Quote: I used to work at dairy queen when I was younger, I keep thinking about all the stuff I used to love there and how I haven't had it for years, I think that was the tip off that TOM was coming, haha.

You guys are right, I am a big girl, I should be able to be strong! There is no reason why not, right? I had a Curves 100 calorie chocolate granola bar last night when I was starving before bed, it helped my chocolate craving and kept me satisfied, so I might stick to those as my snack instead of fruit for now.

I dropped another pound yesterday, I don't want to have all that hard work go to waste, so I'm even more inspired to stay strong. I will try drinking water whenever I want something, hopefully that helps! I'm a notorious binge eater as well, so it's always a struggle for me.

Thanks!
    Yes, I too was a HUGE binge eater. Which is what helped me become 287 lbs at a mere 5 feet tall. So I'm more then well aware of the "struggle". The good thing is that it IS possible to reverse bad habits. I am CERTAIN of it. And I believe the way to do that is by NOT giving into the cravings. The less and less you have of something the less and less you want it. You just have to get past that initial slight discomfort. You have to give this new healthy lifestyle a chance to become ingrained in your brain. You too CAN become a person who no longer binges. In fact read my signature. You fake it till you make it. Stop telling yourself that you CAN'T do this. It's like giving yourself permission TO DO it. Tell yourself over and over and over again that you CAN do it. Because you can. And you should.

One thing I like besides the tea and water is Swiss Miss 25 calorie sugar free Hot Chocolate. It's good. Does the "trick".

Get through it any way that you can. You will be over the top delighted with yourself AND the results. But really, that feeling of control is in and of itself worth everything. To not have cravings and to not have food call out to you any longer. ALLOW it to happen. Get to that place. MAKE it happen.
  • Quote: The less and less you have of something the less and less you want it. You just have to get past that initial slight discomfort. You have to give this new healthy lifestyle a chance to become ingrained in your brain.
    Listen to rockinrobin !!

Stay strong, just think of how awesome it will feel when you come out of TOM successful, having not binged or overate..