Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #1  
Graceful Loser

Default Will braces help my diet?

It's just a thought. lol

I'm getting braces tomorrow, and I can't help but think they'll be good for my diet right now. I can't really have any sticky, chewy things, like caramel or sugary sweets. And the thought of cleaning chocolate out of my braces at the mall will probably keep me away from anything like that.

Maybe I'm being silly, but I'm excited.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #2  
Jess is losing it!

S/C/G: 189/159/129

Height: 5'3"

If you eat a lot of sticky sugars, then the braces will definitely help. When I had braces, i hardly ever ate candy!

They are gonna make your teeth sore though, so make sure you still get your healthy food in regularly, even if it hurts =(

BUT you have beautiful teeth to look forward to!! When you get them off way down the road, you will be looking at your smile in every window you pass!!
jazzang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #3  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

lol, yea Im sure it will limit what goes in your mouth so that helps but like jazz said, you really want to make sure you still get some healthy foods down.

I was excited a year ago when I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out for the same reason! lol
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #4  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDern View Post
lol, yea Im sure it will limit what goes in your mouth so that helps but like jazz said, you really want to make sure you still get some healthy foods down.

I was excited a year ago when I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out for the same reason! lol
I lost 3 lbs in two days just eating jello and sleeping.

To the OP: If you're partial to candy, then yeah, braces should help. It would be the equivalent of those "detoxes". Good luck!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

DON'T eat carrot sticks! I bit down on one once and drove part of my braces below the gum line. *shudder*
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

Yes I'm sure it will help Dental treatment is great for weight loss I lost 28lb (actually 35lb but 7 went back on though that was after a 2.5 week holiday and a broken ankle) - I had two teeth our last year and root canal surgery which got infected and a temporary filling for a very long time. I was so scared of the tooth getting infected again or the temp filling falling out and the taste in my mouth was so yuck I didn't eat that much for 6-8 weeks and even after that I was careful about what types of food I ate for a long time.

Do be careful you don't binge on the foods you will struggle to eat with the braces once you have the braces taken out. I went through a binging phase once the crown was finally fitted on my tooth.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #7  
Graceful Loser

Thank you for all of the support and advice. I definitely won't go overboard, I just figured the braces will make me think twice about certain foods. But I also know they're gonna suck. lol

I'm pretty excited, though!
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 3"

My husband just got braces a month ago and though he doesn't need to lose any weight, he's a lot more selective on what he eats. And he also has to think about keeping them clean. Plus his teeth / jaw can get a little achy.

He cuts his food in much smaller pieces and we are going to check into more homemade soup recipes, since they will be healthier than canned ones.
Lyndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #9  

I had braces a few years back....had more trouble eating salad....
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Lol! It's been helping me lately. I've got rubber bands on the braces this month ( ._. attractive) but it helps me tremendously with the snacking issue because every time I eat, I have to take out the rubber bands, brush my teeth when I'm done, and then put the rubber bands back in until next time. That's already a pain in the butt to have to do three times a day so I think twice about eating in between meals.

(Here's a picture I found on google to illustrate what I mean by rubber bands, since I didn't even know what they were until I got them: http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/l...know-more3.jpg )

It also helps me when I get them tightened every month.. the pain sucks, but that means that I only eat mushy things for a few days, which are usually healthy options.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #11  

Height: 5'6.5"

Interesting, the place that I work for offers dental insurance that pretty much covers adult orthodontics, and I am seriously considering getting braces.

While having straight teeth is a great thing, losing a couple of pounds in the bargain is not something to sneeze at!
beatific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Aw how exciting! I bet it will def help, at least in the "I better not have that cuz it'll stick in my braces" kinda way . Good luck!!!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote