Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Height: 5'7"

Default A little upset.

Okay..I have been working out more and more. Especially the last week..I got one of those wii fit plus's and well lets just say my legs are killing me today..This thing works...Im upset because..when i went to the doctor today.. I had lost a total of 26 pounds..only 1 pounds this week and 2 days.. uhhh whats that about. Someone said to me today..well you have to wait until you get down to what you want before you start excercising because muscle weighs more then fat..But IDK whats going on..I was sure I had lost more then that Is this true..? I dont want to get flabby because im a big girl..but I dont know which way to go right now..plus I had went down 2 points on ww from losing some weight..do you think my body is just trying to get use to -2 points..or what?
Stylist83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Sorry you are upset, but 26lbs is AWESOME!!!! I am also a big girl and I think that exercising while losing weight IS the way to go! It builds muscle as we lose fat, this way we are not as flabby when we get to goal.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #3  
Teresa

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylist83 View Post
Okay..I have been working out more and more. Especially the last week..I got one of those wii fit plus's and well lets just say my legs are killing me today..This thing works...Im upset because..when i went to the doctor today.. I had lost a total of 26 pounds..only 1 pounds this week and 2 days.. uhhh whats that about. Someone said to me today..well you have to wait until you get down to what you want before you start excercising because muscle weighs more then fat..But IDK whats going on..I was sure I had lost more then that Is this true..? I dont want to get flabby because im a big girl..but I dont know which way to go right now..plus I had went down 2 points on ww from losing some weight..do you think my body is just trying to get use to -2 points..or what?
The person that gave you that information is only partially correct. Muscle does weigh more than fat, but you certainly don't want to wait to start exercising. Muscle mass impacts metabolism. With a higher metabolism, you will burn more energy, which can be fat you have in your body. With more muscle your body burns more calories even when you are doing nothing. Exercising will help your weight loss. Sore muscles can retain water, so if I were you, I would continue with the wii fit plus, drink lots of water and you will see the weight loss.
TeresaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #4  

thank you guys for listening..I have been hard on myself today..well not really hard..just thinking what happened?? ya know..The wii fit plus is awesome and I recomend anyone to get it..although I can not do a push up..hahaha...I just dont go to the game ..the rest of the games are great! Especially the hula hoop..love it!
Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #5  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Did someone at the Dr's office tell you not to exercise until you got down to the weight you wanted?

I think weightloss is always a COMBO of exercise and eating right. You arnt going to gain muscle from doing the Wii or just plain cardio. You gain muscle when you start adding in weight training because a muscle actually has to tear a little in order to grow. All that cardio does is tone and strengthen. I recommend doing BOTH now! Why wait? Building muscle sometimes does make your weight go up or slow down the scale but if you take measurements you'll def notice that you're losing inches even if you arnt losing scale weight.

Youre body takes time to adjust to any new program or changes so I would give it a week or so and let it get used to working out and eating the points youre allowed now.

Just keep working out and eating right and you'll see your the scale start dropping and measurements going down!!! Just have to give it time! =)

I hope I helped a lil bit! Good luck with your weightloss!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

When your muscles are really sore, they hold on to more water. The soreness you feel is due to little tiny rips/tears in your muscles, and some extra water is needed to repair the muscles... this repairing process is how they grow stronger! So, gaining or maintaining a little weight when you start a new workout program, or change the intensity, is totally normal.

It's true that muscle is more dense than fat, so it will weigh more for the same volume.. and sometimes this means you get smaller without losing much weight, because you're adding some muscle weight while you lose the fat.

But, having more muscle makes it EASIER to lose the fat, because muscle also burns more calories during everyday activities than fat does! So definitely keep up with the exercise, build up some muscle, and it will make it easier in the long run. (Also, you'll have a sexy strong body waiting for you under the fat. )

Not to mention how good exercise is for preventing diabetes and heart disease, maintaining strong bones, improving your mood, etc.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #7  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I'm experiencing the same thing (and posted about it in the 100 lb club.) So, you're not alone.

I don't agree with the person who told you that you should wait to start exercising. Exercising will help you tone up as you lose weight.

I think we just have to be patient as our bodies get used to the new movement.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

26 pound loss is outstanding . We can never predict how much we will lose in a given time. It never works the way we think it will . The important thing is that it will work.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #9  

thanks again..and no it wasnt the dr. who told me..He was so happy I lost that much..it was a relative..and know it all *LOL* thanks guys!!
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Why don't you ask your DOCTOR for information about weight loss and exercise? Or ask for a referral to a dietitian? That way you can maybe find out something other than folklore about the subject.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote