3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   What do you Track? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/184845-what-do-you-track.html)

srmb60 10-22-2009 06:58 PM

What do you Track?

Online? On paper? Minutes? Miles?

What do you keep track of and how do you do it?

Onederchic 10-22-2009 07:01 PM

I keep track of all calories in any food/drink I consume and I track all my exercise minutes. I also keep track of my measurements. I do it all on sparkpeople.com

VernDern 10-22-2009 07:19 PM

I keep track of all calories, exercise (usually just minutes), and measurements. I use fitday.com for cals and exercise. I made a handy dandy excel sheet to track my weightloss progress and measurements.

Sunnigummi 10-22-2009 07:55 PM

I track food intake, weight and activities on Fitday. I love the program. Even though there are a lot of discrepancies with calorie counts for foods and exercise, I feel that using the same program kinda eliminates those discrepancies just because it will be the same across the board. The one thing I don't like about Fitday is the lack of variety in foods. I have made SO MANY custom foods for stupid things like Healthy Choice Frozen meals. Come on! That's not exotic!! :dz: ;)

RealCdn 10-22-2009 08:33 PM

I track food intake, exercise mins/cals from my HR monitor, and weight using FitDay. I track daily steps (from pedometer) and morning temps in a spreadsheet. That last one is an attempt to see when I need a refeed/break. When on maintenance I usually see 37.7C or 37.8C in the mornings, when dieting I see 36.4C to 36.7C. If/when I'm feeling run down it will be below 36C (although I haven't been doing it long enough to know for sure).

kuhrisuh 10-22-2009 09:01 PM

I track everything I eat and drink, exercise in minutes, and my weight loss progress all on sparkpeople.com. I like it because it gives you reports on how on target you are with your goal, and it def. keeps me accountable.

HotWings 10-22-2009 09:06 PM

I track calories, carbs, fat, protein & sodium on Sparkpeople.com. I don't purposely limit sodium, but I do pay attention to the number and can really tell whether or not to expect some water weight gain.

Katarina 10-22-2009 09:48 PM

I use printed pamphlets "Food and Exercise Log"s that track food for breakfast, lunch, dinner, beverages and snacks. It also gives a place to write the amount of exercise you have done.

I write down what I eat, how much and when. This way when I have the urge to eat, I can look at my journal and figure out "Is it time for a snack, or am I just bored/angry/anxious/depressed" I eat 5 times per day - 3 meals, 2 snacks..with at least 2 hours between each meal.

I do track my weight during the week, but the only weight measurement that I really count is Saturday mornings when I go to the Dr's office to jump on their scale. I always wear the same outfit, so the weigh ins are accurate.

Kat

EZMONEY 10-22-2009 09:53 PM

I weigh myself everyday and log it in a notebook....

I keep track of my miles in the exercise threads and log the totals each month in my journal....

I keep track of the cost on all the meals Angie and I have out...just for general info...not the food mind you but the cost and whether or not we brought home leftovers for lunch...and how many drinks we...er I had....

I tried to keep track of Angie...but she is just too sneaky...way too sneaky...

Civakas 10-22-2009 09:56 PM

I track the following on my Ipod touch:
calories (Lose It! app)
exercise (Lose It! and ifitness apps)
water intake (Eight Glasses a Day app)

algebraashley 10-22-2009 10:24 PM

i track my calories, exercise and weight all on Lose It! the app for my iphone

duckyyellowfeet 10-23-2009 01:31 AM

I feel like I'm a slacker trackers.
I write down points in a notebook, sometimes on my hand if I'm out
I use the ticker below to record weekly weight-ins
And I keep a running total of minutes in the gym in my head.
I thought about my measurements, but I was too scared to start them

KDuffer 10-23-2009 06:51 AM

Things I track include:

1. Calories eaten (by day, week, and averages)--LoseIt
2. Weight, fat % (using calipers), LBM, chest, waist, hips, thighs--Excel
3. Macro nutrient (fats, carbs, protein)--LoseIt
4. Exercise (type and time for cardio/weight and exercise for weight lifting)-LoseIt for cardio and notebook for weights that I take to the gym

I have a bit of a obsessive compulsive personality so this seems to work for me. Also, it helps me see exactly what's going on. If I gain/lose weight I can see how much is muscle or fat. Also, helps me decide what levers to push (i.e., eat less/more calories, eat more protein, eat less carbs, etc.).

Interesting thing is by this trial and error method I've come to the conclusion that although calories are important, eating a lot of carbs relative to protein makes it harder for me to keep my calories down and lose weight (I try to eat about 35% protein and 35% carbs). Then I happened to read a book recently on insulin resistance and it seems that there is some science behind why that is happening to me.

mayness 10-23-2009 07:17 AM

Calories - just switched to sparkpeople for this
Macros - I don't pay attention to anything else, even though the web site records sodium, vitamins, etc

Type of exercise and approx minutes - also on SP.. not so much because I care about the calories burned.. but because I'm there anyway

Weight - every morning, on physicsdiet.com

MBN 10-23-2009 07:50 AM

I track my food intake, calories and daily morning weight in a little spiral-bound paper notebook.

I track my exercise sessions in a work database, it's tied to a health care incentive program (we get points for various activities, and enough points translates to a few $$ deposited into our health savings account - sweet!)

This year, I've been tracking my running, hiking and kayaking miles on an excel spreadsheet. I started that because of the "run 1000 miles in 2009" thread. I've almost reached 1000 running miles - not counting the 200 hiking and paddling miles!