3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Why do i only lose weight TOM (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/184198-why-do-i-only-lose-weight-tom.html)

benotnobodi 10-14-2009 06:50 PM

Why do i only lose weight TOM

It drives me crazy. I do the same thing every week and the week of my period i lose more than average for someone who loses weight in a weeks time. I lost 7 pounds last month during my period and this week the same thing is happening. its day 2 of my period and ive already lost 3 pounds. What is causing this? I also spot a week before my period and the gynecologist said sometimes this happens. That just started last month so im wondering if that has something to do with it. I do eat between 3,000-4,500mg of sodium a day when i should be below 2,300 everyday. Is the sodium intake what is retaining water all month and then the week of my period takes care of it, or is this just how my body is working. It kinda scares me because i read everywhere that people GAIN weight the week of their period. Why do i have to go all month with no loss and then the week of my period BAM! 7 pounds down. :/

Aclai4067 10-14-2009 07:12 PM

I usually lose more the week of my period. No idea why. I thought maybe water weight too, but it stays off... so kinda weird. But it's nice to have the monthly boost when everyone else gains at TOM.

However I do still lose small amount on the other weeks of the month. If you're losing literally nothing the other weeks of the month, you may need to modify your plan. Play around with it; see what works.

I don't really know about the early spotting though. Sometimes rapid changes in diet/exercise can mess with your cycle, so maybe that? I say just keep an eye on it. If your gyno isn't concerned you'll probably be fine. But if it persists make sure she knows that.

Sunnigummi 10-14-2009 07:20 PM

Not to sound insensitive, but if you're not in pain or having abnormal amounts of bleeding accompanied by weight loss, why worry? It's going down, right? I'd be happy with losing weight during my period or before or after or whenever really. As long as those lbs stay off and it's not just water weight, take it and count your blessings! ;) :D

forestroad 10-14-2009 09:23 PM

I recently had my bmr tested and the clinician said not to schedule it during TOM bc your metabolism is actually elevated during that time. So that might explain some of it.

HotWings 10-14-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestroad (Post 2970974)
I recently had my bmr tested and the clinician said not to schedule it during TOM bc your metabolism is actually elevated during that time. So that might explain some of it.

Interesting!! I am going to hit my eating plan hard during that week this time and see if I can actually lose instead of gaining water weight during that week! :yes:

JustBeckyV 10-15-2009 12:07 PM

I can always tell because the week before I don't lose lol I don't gain either so that's good -- the week of mine I do usually lose double. I always figured that it was due to retaintion the week before and now it's all flushing out so I lose more that week. Really not more lol but it goes back to "normal"

Lori Bell 10-15-2009 01:39 PM

I always had a nice big whoosh during TOM...that is, if I did NOT give into the cravings and temptations brought on by PMS.

rockinrobin 10-15-2009 02:59 PM

TOM had zero affect on my weight loss. I never gained during that time - ALWAYS lost. I wouldn't say that I lost 7 lbs during that time and zero the remainder of the month, but I always showed a loss.

A loss is a loss and I'd be happy with it at any time. But it is a little odd!