Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evieistrying09 View Post
Mine looks so sad compared to all ya'lls!

haha I still love my barely-baked pizza. hahaha
I use to eat these all the time... but then I started using Arnold Sandwhich thins instead...try it one time... they are amazing...and bigger for the same calories
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyisLove View Post
I use to eat these all the time... but then I started using Arnold Sandwhich thins instead...try it one time... they are amazing...and bigger for the same calories
What are barely-baked pizzas?
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

I love french toast. I use the sarah lee 45 cal bread with egg whites, cinnamon, nutivia (or sweetener), a splash of apple or orange juice and I add vanilla extract. I then cook it and freeze it and pop it in the toaster in the AM for a hot breakfast. I also like to mash strawberries and blueberries up to make a really sweet jam/syrup for it =) Healthy and filling!
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajowens View Post
What are barely-baked pizzas?
She was talking about her mini bagel pizza's
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #20  
Ready to be skinny!

S/C/G: 238/221!!!/180

Height: 5'11

the pizza bagels
evieistrying09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #21  

OK, I'm the lamest. I eat mostly whole foods.

But, I looove this recipe. It is soooo good - a little spicy and a complete nutritional powerhouse! You can make ahead -- it is easily portable and reheatable in tupperware. I used to eat this once a day. And I'm going to make a batch today!

Lentil and brown rice casserole
1 T of olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cups cooked green lentils (I use the steamed, ready to eat from Trader Joe's)
2 cups cooked brown rice (I use the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's!)
2 cups plain, nonfat yogurt
1/2 tsp each oregano, ground cumin, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper
1 c. low-fat cheddar cheese (but the regular cheese melts better)

In a skillet, heat the oil and saute the onions. Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Mix well and pour into a casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until the cheese looks melted. Serve hot.

Serves 6.

Nutritional info:
243 cal
7 g fat
10 mg cholesterol
293 mg sodium
31 g carbs
1 g sugar
6 g fiber
16 g protein

Last edited by rachinma; 10-08-2009 at 09:34 AM.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #22  
Focussed

S/C/G: 181/135/139

Height: 5' 6"

Default Lentil and Brown rice casserole

This sounds great - I'm going to try it tomorrow - will report back. Thanks for posting it!
FT
fattuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #23  
Onederland - Gotcha

S/C/G: 252/180/178

Height: 5'9"

Seafood, seafood, seafood!!!

Easy Shrimp Stir Fry

3 ozs of peeled and deveined shrimp, about one dozen shrimp
1 cup of celery, diced
1 cup of onion, diced
1 cup of mushrooms, diced
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
Pam butter flavored spray

Spray skillet with butter flavored Pam and heat all the veggies and garlic for about 10 minutes on medium high heat. Add the shrimp and heat for about three minutes and serve.....yummy!!!!!! If you can fit in the extra calories you can saute this all with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 135/135/110

Height: 5'3

Here is my go-to super-lo-cal snack!

When I have got only a few calories to spare but want something that feels 'substantial', this soup is the go!

1 can crushed tomatos (around 80 cals)
Heaps of oregano, basil, and black pepper

And.... thats it! Just chuck it in a saucepan and heat it, or in the microwave even. It is ridiculously easy, and I think pretty tasty.

And a whole can is actually a lot, I usually have half at a time. Having a warm snack seems to make it feel so much more substantial to me.

Last edited by kiakaha; 10-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.
kiakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #25  

Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas.

I don't do the tortilla in the skillet thing, I just nuke them for 15 seconds in a damp towel until they're pliable.

Makes 6 servings, 2 enchiladas each

Sauce
1 poblano pepper
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
8 ounces tomatoes, roughly chopped, plus diced tomato for garnish
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus more leaves for garnish

Filling
3 bell peppers (1 each red, yellow and orange), diced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
3/4 cup diced red onion
4 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
12 6-inch corn tortillas

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.

2. To prepare sauce: Roast poblano pepper directly over the flame of a gas burner, turning frequently with tongs, until evenly charred. (Alternatively, char under the broiler, turning once or twice, for 5 to 7 minutes total.) Transfer to a deep bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside to steam for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add yellow onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika and ground chipotle (if using) and cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.

4. Peel the pepper, discard the stem and seeds, and chop. Add to the saucepan along with chopped tomatoes, broth and chopped cilantro. Return to medium heat and cook, uncovered, at a steady simmer, until the liquid has reduced slightly and the tomatoes have broken down, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.)

5. To prepare filling: While the sauce simmers, place bell peppers, mushrooms and red onion in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 4 1/2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and browned in spots, about 15 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in beans. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.

6. To prepare enchiladas: Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Place a skillet over medium heat. Coat both sides of a tortilla with cooking spray. Heat in skillet for 5 to 10 seconds per side, adjusting the heat if the pan gets too hot. Spread 1/3 cup of the filling and 1 tablespoon of the sauce down the middle of the tortilla and roll it up to enclose the filling. Place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, filling and sauce. Spread the remaining sauce and filling over the enchiladas.

7. Bake, uncovered, until hot, about 15 minutes. Serve garnished with diced fresh tomato and cilantro leaves, if desired.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 269 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrate; 9 g protein; 9 g fiber; 753 mg sodium; 726 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (120% daily value), Selenium (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (16% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat

The sauce freezes well also.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #26  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Default Lemon herb chicken and rice

So, I'm not going to give sizes of ingredients, I tend to follow (mostly) the GI diet which is not too restrictive. Also, I confess I plan dinners with a view to lunch for the next day - it avoids the pitfalls of going to pick up Wendy's.

Take chicken thighs and marinade them in olive oil, lemon juice and your favourite herbs - I like basil, thyme, chives and a little garlic.

If you have a grill, put the chicken thighs in tin foil and cook on the grill till tender - leaving the juice in the foil while it cooks. If no grill (or it's winter) add the juices and thighs to a saute pan and simmer gently.

In the meantime, chop veggies - carrots, asparagus, zucchini, green beans, onions, mushrooms.

If you're doing the grill option, place the veggies in a separate foil pouch with some olive oil, herbs and pepper. If going with the stove top, saute them in the leftover juices from the chicken.

Serve with basmati rich, and toss together. Makes an awesome lunch that you can nuke at work in a few minutes.

Let me know your thoughts.
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

AJ-thanks for starting this thread. I am gonna try a lot of these recipes. I find myself eating the same ole thing all the time. The cheesecake bites.....I will be making these this weekend.
burgundyrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattuesday View Post
This sounds great - I'm going to try it tomorrow - will report back. Thanks for posting it!
FT
Let me know what you think. I love it, but have only found two other people as crazy about it as I am!
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 340/165/150

Height: 5'5

First of all, my bread machine is my FAVORITE diet tool. I've switched over to more whole grains, less processed foods, no preservatives...by making my own bread, english muffins, etc.

If I had to say only one recipe, it would be the soft pretzels I make. Recipe is on Recipezaar dot com. The recipe is Soft-Pretzels-For-Bread-Machines-45567

The recipe say it makes 8 pretzels. I cut that down to 12 smaller soft pretzels, so each one is approx. 150 calories, 2.5 grams of fat.

I replace at least 2/3 of the flour with whole wheat flour, I add flax meal for fiber and omega 3s and I reduce the amount of oil (since flax adds some fat). I use egg whites and coarse salt, no butter on the finished pretzel.

I freeze them and when I need a carb snack, I pop one of the frozen pretzels into the toaster. Delicious, fresh, homemade and preservative free.

Kat
Katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #30  
Never looking back...

S/C/G: 194/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches.

They keep me sane.
MrsJerseyben is offline   Reply With Quote