3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Food Holiday = Plateau Breaker (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/183071-food-holiday-%3D-plateau-breaker.html)

SunnyP 09-30-2009 06:02 PM

Food Holiday = Plateau Breaker

I've always known that when I go on a "food holiday" and eat a bit more, and differently, than usual, it never fails to break a plateau.

I'd been at *exactly* 167.8 for 3 weeks and no matter what I did - raising cals from 1600 to 2000, working out more, working out less, it stayed exactly there.

So this weekend, I had guests in town and I went on a planned "food holiday". I estimate I consumed between 2500-3000 calories on both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't eat tons of "unhealthy" foods, rather I ate more of the things that are actually healthy choices (LOL Unless you include that half loaf of sourdough bread with olive oil, or the flourless chocolate cake!)

So Monday morning I was prepared for the upward movement of the scale, due to the water retention and extra food - and upward it did move, from 167.8 to 170.4. So I skipped the scale on Tuesday, and this morning - we have 166.6!

I can't say I'm not pleased to know that time and again, all it seems to take to break a plateau for me is a little planned cheat. I can't wait until it's time to break the next plateau! I do like how I feel when I eat healthy, but i must admit, I would not kick a piece of chocolate cake out of bed on a planned food holiday :)

luckymommy 09-30-2009 08:11 PM

That's great! I am a total food addict, so those planned holidays aren't something I can dabble in, just as an alcoholic can't take a sobriety holiday. However, I do believe that this sort of change in routine is a great way of surprising your body and mixing things up in a good way.

Have fun on your next "holiday!" ;)

Irene

mandalinn82 09-30-2009 08:41 PM

Yep - it definitely works for some, definitely DOESN'T work for others, or at all phases of weight loss. Enjoy it! Glad you've found something that works for you.

JustBeckyV 09-30-2009 09:21 PM

That is great!! I have thought about doing the same down the road if I hit a bump but so far so good! Glad it works for you!

losermom 10-01-2009 07:24 AM

Sunny, that method works for me too! Within reason. I try not to use those "holidays" to go crazy and there is definitely a clear end to it. I don't drag it on and on.

angieaang 10-02-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losermom (Post 2951113)
Sunny, that method works for me too! Within reason. I try not to use those "holidays" to go crazy and there is definitely a clear end to it. I don't drag it on and on.

That is the key. Within reason. 1-2 days of off eating and then IMMEDIATELY going back to your healthy lifestyle has proven to break my plateaus as well. I think it kind of works along the same lines as muscle confusion maybe? Your body gets used to a certain amount of calories and a certain type of calorie and by introducing that "off" day (but for an extremely short period of time), it forces the body to "overwork" to burn it off? Maybe? I'm no doctor, but I know it's worked for me too.

kellost 10-02-2009 02:20 PM

This works for me too.......both physically and to satisfy cravings for pizza. LOL.

Rebound 10-02-2009 03:09 PM

Yeah, it's the IMMEDIATELY getting right back on plan part that is important. I've have a number of weeks where I had visitors/holidays/weddings/etc. and I eat more than my usual 1200-1700 calories. Without fail -- if I get RIGHT back on to program after those few days I see an excellent loss for the week. I do try to stick to the 1200 end of my range for the rest of the week, of course :)

I have been lucky enough to not plateau yet (fingers crossed!) but I'll be using that technique if I do!

Mickeypnd 10-02-2009 03:19 PM

you know this method works for my identical twin sister, but when I tried I gained two pounds. . .
=/