Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Default Catching up and an obstacle

A lot has happened since I last posted.My Father passed away early 2007 and latter August 2008,my Step-Grandmother died.Lost my entire immediate Family in less than 10 Years.

The Emotional Abuser who was cruel about my Weight was kicked to the curb,but he's calling lots trying to get back in good.Last time he called told me,"Continue cutting Kilograms and I shall be there."He got told where he can shove it!

The obstacle I'm having is: Physical Activity,Exercise and Walking long distances is proving difficult.Not because I get out of breath etc,but from Degenerative Disc Disease,Fusion and a Curvature in my Spine.

In 1997,I had Osteomylitis in my L1 and L2.My Back tires very easily,goes out and I have catches/grips.

I desperately need to find gentle Exercises that will be easy on my Spine,yet make me work up a sweat whilst burning Calories and toning me.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 03-21-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Bicycle (upright or recumbent)? Swimming, with a paddle board if you can't swim normally? If this is lower back injury, can you use your arms for aerobic workouts, like table top cycling, or weights?
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #3  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I love water aerobics. It offers a great all over workout while being gentle on joints. We have lots of people in class that have issues from injuries and arthritis and find that this is the best form of exercise for them. Are there any classes being offered at your local community pool?
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #4  
Woman on mission!

Recidivist,
I would LOVE a Recumbent Bike,but don't have space or the Money to buy.I can't swim,and would be afraid to swim with a paddle board.Oh yes,I can use my Arms,but would that only be working my Arms?

Since late June at a Routine Doctor's Appointment,I have been trying to get a referral for a PT (at Doctor's suggestion)..still am yet to get one..should've had a PT 12 Years ago!My Doctor thinks that Physical Therapy will help strengthen my Spine.

Lack of otivation is kicking my Butt!Was Walking the Track (1 lap around-4 laps is 1/2 mile and 8 is 1 mile) at our Park until the Humidity kicked in.Hopefully early,middle to late Fall,it will be cool enough to begin Walking again..I have to start slow,then build up..

I have 3 Leslie Sansone Walking Work-Outs,but don't have the stretcher thingy (can't recall the name) they use during the Work-out.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Losermom,
I've not tried Water Aerobics.Our Community Pool closes when School begins and don't offer Classes.I would have to drive 45 Minutes and join a Fitness Center.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Butter Butt , I am not able to do upper body exercises due to a broken shoulder, my exercise consists of walking, I do it early in the morning and after the sun goes down. Walking is an excellent exercise , all you need is a good pair of shoes, otherwise it is free.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Bargoo,
I love to Walk,but have to Walk at a slower pace.I'm not sure where you live,but here it is humid in the Morning and after the Sun goes down.

Because of the below,my Back tires very easily,stiffens,catches,goes out etc.Regardless whatever it is I do,I have to keep on keeping on..

The Impression from my recent and first CT Scan since Summer 1997 shows 1. Complete obliteration of the Disk Space at L1-L2,which could be due to advanced Degenerative changes,previous Infection or Post-Surgical.2. Multilevel Degenerative Disk Disease and Spondylosis.3. Significant Stenosis of the Neural Foramina (Foramen?) at L4-5 bilaterally and at L5-S1 on the right.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #8  

Have you tried yoga?I had back surgery 2 years ago with several weeks of therapy.Never thought I would enjoy yoga.But after my neurosurgeon and PT really pushed it...I gave in.You should give it a try.Start slow.I am happy I gave it a shot.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #9  
Woman on mission!

Harrismm,
No,I haven't tried Yoga,but should to help ease Stress and tension.I weigh 343.6 lbs (down from 401),so need a form of vigorous Exercise that will make me sweat,burn Calories and tone,yet be gentle for my Spine.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 08-30-2009 at 11:02 PM.