Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #1  
It's a Working Progress

S/C/G: 188/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Went to the doc for a checkup, struggling with the no soda rule

Since my pediatrician retired, I no longer had a PMD for regular well visits and such, so my mom called up the doctor Dad goes to and scheduled me an appt for a physical and bloodwork. The nurse checked all my vitals before meeting with the doc. BP was good. Doc came in and did his physical, blah blah blah. Then he tells me that I'm 50 lbs overweight. Of course I knew that, but when it comes from a health care professional, you kinda get a little upset .

On a positive, my bloodwork was normal and they want to do a thyroid profile check at my next visit on sept 21 since it runs in my family. No biggie. Also, doc asked me to be 10 lbs lighter or else he was going to chase me around the building(joking, but serious at the same time). He gave me some pointers on losing weight, so I put myself on a diet of nothing with high fructose corn syrup(which means no sodas), no white sugar, and I'm doing my best to stay away from so much fast, fried food. I'm even changing up my eating habits at work by bringing my lunch instead of going to the cafeteria.

My struggle is with the soda and sweet tea. I love to have a sprite every now and then, and lord knows I find it hard to get away from the tea because it's what I grew up with. Doc also wants me to try to be more active as well. He did mention that he'd rather me not work out at all versus only going a couple of days a week because it does more damage to the muscles that way. So after I pay bills with my next check, I'm gonna see about joining up at the university rec center since they offer more amenities than my 10 bucks a month gym, and see if that will help me stay focused and get moving everyday when I don't have to work at my 2nd job in the evenings. It also helps that it's only 2 blocks from my day job.

One question to everyone is how do you learn to give up certain foods that you've always grown accustomed to having with your meals? I don't care much for plain jane water all the time, so is there anything you can do to flavor it up? I've been buying some crystal light mix and it is pretty yummy, I might add. I just have to watch that sugar content. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
bnorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

If you don't have negative reactions to artificial sweeteners, you could try those instead of sugar, just to get used to lowering the amount you use. You may find that once you get used to having less sugar, or having none at all, not even artificial sweetener, that you don't mind not having it.

Also, I have found that mixing some 100% fruit juice with sparkling water makes a nice drink. Just make sure it's pure fruit juice and not sweetened with added syrup, etc. Orange juice, cherry juice--but you only need about 1/3 juice to 2/3 sparkling water to make a nice "spritzer."

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-25-2009 at 01:36 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 380/380/198

Height: 6'3

One of my weight loss steps was no soda and it does help. They have so many empty calories and so much sugar. I had a hard time but over time I have just got used to not having them. It's hard at first but if you stick to it you can do it. You will see over time that you really don't crave them as much.
Nate0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #4  
Never looking back...

S/C/G: 194/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

For me, substitutions have worked. For instance, I LOVE ice cream. Instead of eating the premium brand with 15g of fat in one serving, I eat a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich with just 1.5g of fat. It tastes just as good and then I don't have to deny myself something I like.

When I visited my doctor and he noticed my weight was up, he gave me some pointers, as well, but nothing beats having a plan to keep you accountable and teach you portion control. My doc was able to give me a letter thing for Weight Watchers that entitled me to have the registration fee waived. Maybe your doc can do the same for you??
MrsJerseyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #5  
It's a Working Progress

I rarely drink sodas now anyway. Maybe 1 a week, so not that much really. I wonder if I could replace my white sugar to brown sugar. I don't know. That big sweet tooth always haunts me.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

I don't understand your doctor's recommendation that he'd rather see you not workout than only workout couple of days a week. Is he telling you if you are not going to workout everyday, you shouldn't workout at all? That seems wrong.

As for foods, there are couple of strategies I use:

1. For certain foods, I just avoid completely because I have no ability to moderate it and once I have a little, I can't stop myself from having more. Pizza is like this for me.

2. For other foods try finding some substitutes. I cut out diet soda a year ago. I replaced it with sparkling water (hinted with squeeze of lemon or lime). I still miss diet soda (especially Coke Zero) but I've managed it by drinking flavored sparkling soda.

How about mixing crystal light with sparkling water?
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

im sure ill be ostracized for this, but im also a soda ADDICT. i switched to diet. i know i know, not healthy, sugars, etc, but i cant live without it and diet is 0 calories compared to the probably 1000 worth i was drinking before (i drink a LOT of soda, lol)
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I quit drinking soda very easily. I only drink water or milk and on cold mornings sometimes hot chocolate.
Other than soda, I don't forbid any other foods honestly. I simply stay in a calorie range and lose weight. However, I do try to choose foods that are healthy and more filling. One can eat 1500 calories of unhealthy food but it might not make them feel any better.
I aim to reduce my sodium intake (I keep it under 2300 mg) and I track things like cholestrol, potassium, calcium ect and try to eat healthier.
As for exercise, I don't workout everyday. I believe it is important not to. I think I read somewhere your muscles need time to rest, so I always make sure to take at least one day off each week.
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Sorry bnorah, but substituting brown sugar for white sugar is still sugar.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #10  

I have a diet Coke for a treat every few days. And a Pepsi (not diet) when I got Pizzeria Uno every few months. I LOVE regular Pepsi, though I never drank it regularly. Soda was always a treat in my family and old habits die hard, I guess.

Also, your doc is an idiot if he thinks not working out at all is better than working out 3x a week.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Just take it slow. I've sort of given up soda because of all the research on how it does something to the enamal of your teeth. Now that I'm not drinking several cans a day, when I do have one it is a treat and I feel like I'm splurging.

One of the ways I did it was using the sugar free flavor packets for bottled water, but I used them in the 32 oz water not the 16 oz water. Then once I got used to that, I started adding 1 packet to a 2 liter container. Just to have a little flavor.

Fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice added to a pitcher of water with some of the zest tastes pretty good too.

Good luck
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #12  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I never got the deal with soda. I hate the fizzy feeling, which I think is the appeal to many. Anyhoo, a long time ago on this board, I read about someone who weaned herself off soda. She switched to diet and I think she started out drinking at her regular pace, but then started cutting down to 3 a day (everyday), then 2 a day everyday, then once a day, then 6 days a week, 5 days a week and so on. I think she gave herself a week with each "wean" period. Maybe you can try the same? You don't have to give yourself a week, maybe 2 weeks if you feel that 1 week would be too harsh and would make you go back to your previous consumption rates. Just something to think about...

You can definitely do it, though! You sound strong-willed.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Your doctor needs to chill a little on the all-or-nothing workout, and 10 pounds in 28 days. It's doable, but not the most responsible advice.

Try diet Mountain Dew. If you live in the South, I think you'll like it.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I drink diet soda.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #15  
It's a Working Progress

He said he would rather me do 3 days a week of workouts than just 1 or 2 days because it's more damaging than not going at all. Working out isn't new to me at all, I just need a better routine. I have friday off at the office, so it's off to the local Rec for a membership .

By the way, I'm already down 5 lbs and still have 3 weeks to go until my next appt. Wish me luck everyone!