Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/142/135

Height: 5'3

Default How discouraging.

I have two questions for you lovely folks.

First off, I've only lost ONE STINKING POUND THIS WEEK. While I know it's better than gaining and it's still a loss, I've been working so hard on this. I've been eating 1,200 calories a day (set by dailyplate.com for my height/weight/lifestyle to lose 2lbs a week [I do eat more on the days that I exercise]), I've been doing tae bo 4-5X week, and I've been drinking tons of water. I do weigh myself at the same time of day, wearing the same type of clothing, after using the bathroom. What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, I haven't worked out for the past 3 days. I last went to work on Thursday, and I knew it was going to be a hellish night because we are so under-staffed, so I figured me running around the floor (I'm a nurse) like a madwoman would be enough exercise for me. Well, I was right. I was so sore yesterday from the previous night at work, that I really didn't even want to walk down the stairs to get into the shower because my back and knees hurt so bad (I made myself, though, ha). I'm still a bit sore, and I'm worried that if I work out tonight, I will be too sore to function properly at work tomorrow. I am really beating myself up for this, so my question is, should I work out or not tonight? I don't want to hurt my body anymore, but I'm terrified that I'm just being lazy with myself and subconsciously looking for excuses to not work out.

Thanks....
thisisntsybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Slow and steady wins the race! Honest! Losing a pound in a week is great - don't let yourself get so discouraged that it wasn't more.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM   #3  

I know. I can be very melodramatic at times. Thank you =)
Old 08-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #4  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I've lost 12.5 kg (27.5 lb) so far. When did I start this journey?

In August 2008! So that's 12 months, or 52 weeks. That's about 1/2 a pound a week.

And I'm stoked! I'd be more ecstatic if I'd lost 1lb a week.

Patience, chicky. Patience.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

1 pound a week is AWESOME. Really. Weight loss is NOT linear, and sometimes, despite our best efforts and really truly being on plan, that scale won't go down. There are a TON of reasons for this...water weight being a common one (due to hormones, changes in exercise, muscle soreness/swelling, like your knee, etc).

Scales don't just measure FAT. They measure all the food, water, muscle, bone, etc. So they're always going to be an imperfect measure. Please don't let such a flawed way of measuring progress discourage you!

Oh, and
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I have often talked myself out of exercise for the same reaosons as you. I've been trying to conquer this by working out less intensely on days like this. It helps to think of exercise as my medicine, something I do selfishly just for me even when I don't feel like it. A leisurely walk, or a few minutes on the treadmill while watching your favorite show. Also, maybe try not to think of it as exercise, perhaps think of it as an activity, which may help you feel more motivated to do it.

You know, there are other reasons to exercise, especially on exhausting days like the one you had. It can help you clear your mind and sleep better, and let's face it... has anyone, anywhere EVER felt guilty after exercising???
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Two pounds a week is pretty extreme, IMO. I think you would do better to take it easier and slower--both with the calorie restriction and with exercise. That doesn't mean stop, it just means lighten up while following the same schedule.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I've re-scheduled mine to 1lb a week. I know 2lbs seems so doable when we first start but it gets quite a burden.

Just yes to the 'weight loss isn't linear' - there may be a rhyme or reason why it happens this way but I don't think many of us humans have worked it out. Sooner or later you'll have a big loss week, it balances eventually but it sometimes feels like a distant eventually.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #9  
Inspired

S/C/G: 275 / 208 / 135

Height: 5'5"

A lb a week is absolutely perfect for long term maintenance The slower you take it off, the better imo.
Minya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

LOSING a pound is SO much better than GAINING a pound! Congratulations!

I started out losing 2 pounds a week, but the smaller you get, the more difficult that becomes. You're not on a deadline or time crunch and you are still making progress. Don't be sad that you only lost a pound; be happy that you did, indeed, LOSE a whole POUND. Good job.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #11  

Thank you all. I feel better after reading all of your replies =)

And for the record, I did end up working out last night...for 20 minutes. I feel great.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #12  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Good job for working out! Losing a pound is awesome. I always say "every pound is a victory!" That's 3500 calories of cutting back and moving around. Good job for using the daily plate too! With your activity, have you considered bumping up to 1300? Sometimes I need to do that if I'm losing slowly.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote