Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #1  

Default .

Last edited by alonecinder; 02-04-2010 at 11:36 PM.
alonecinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #2  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up Great Decision

You've made a wise choice.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

You know, I drink *so* much tea w/truvia and nonfat powered milk, that just today I realized it was a huge percentage of my calories. Not that NFPM is a bad source of cals, but it adds up. So, I'm still drinking my tea, but with about 1/3 - 1/2 the amount of NFPM in it.

Good for you for realizing a source of sneaky calories and planning a way to deal with it!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

Right on It makes a huge difference!
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #6  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile I know what you mean!

I used to drink regular pop all day long. Since I gave that up, I know my calories are only coming from foods I eat. I lost quite a bit of weight just giving up pop. I realized that I was drinking more calories in a day than what a grown man should eat in a day. That was a real eye opener.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/155/148

Height: 5'8

Great!!! I used to drink soda all the time too! I gradually quit completely, and found it much easier to stay out of the 200s all of a sudden. I started drinking a lot of apple juice after that, but...that has a lot of sugar/calories also. Now that the only liquid I drink is water, weight loss has become so much easier for me. I've been averaging 1 lb a week over the past few months.
jackieeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

alonecinder,

I am with you. I quit "drinking" my calories long ago. Now I like black coffee with almond milk. Almond milk is wonderful--1/2 the calories of skim.

alonecinder, I have a work related question for you. I went to Starbucks the other day. I ordered my black coffee with room at the top. I turned and noticed there was ONLY 1/2 and 1/2 on the bar. When I inquired I was told they only keep skim out until noon now.

What in the world? Is this true or was I given a line as far as why it wasn't out? The ended up giving me some from the fridge. The manager (a very overweight woman) told me it was because "most people prefer 1/2 and 1/2." What gives??
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
You know, I drink *so* much tea w/truvia and nonfat powered milk, that just today I realized it was a huge percentage of my calories. Not that NFPM is a bad source of cals, but it adds up. So, I'm still drinking my tea, but with about 1/3 - 1/2 the amount of NFPM in it.

Good for you for realizing a source of sneaky calories and planning a way to deal with it!

Hey, I wanted to mention something to you. There was a thread about this a while ago. Like you, I was using Truvia and thought it was a better choice. I found out that Truvia has MSG in it! It is listed under "natural" or something on labeling. MSG is awful for so many of us--me included!!!! I was shocked.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #10  

Btw, I LOVE Nido powdered milk but for 150 calories I digress--I gave it up!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

Ha! I could've written this post. I work at Starbucks too and I'm vegan and addicted to our soymilk (9 g protein per serving and 70 cal!). I had to wean myself off slowly, so I switched to soy mistos and iced coffee with splenda. Now I'm at the point where I will have some coffee in the morning with just a splash of soy and then drink at least 3 venti waters with just a touch of unsweetened green tea in them.

I find that as long as I'm drinking something I don't feel deprived. Sometimes I'll do a soy strawberry vivano with energy instead of protein and add some spinach for lunch, and it's surprisingly filling (and you won't taste the spinach at all.)

Thighs Be Gone, Starbucks switched to 1/2 and 1/2 and decaf coffee upon request only about a month ago because we were wasting SO MUCH milk and coffee every day. It's not that they don't want to provide healthy choices (in fact, they just reformulated a lot of their pastries to be half the calories and fat, and no HFCS,) it's just that we have to switch those carafes out every 2 hours no matter what (or 30 min for coffee). It only takes a minute to brew decaf and we don't mind giving you non-fat or putting it in your drink upon request at all. Just ask for it when you're ordering and they'll have it ready for you at the bar.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

Why is milk so terrible? I drink a glass of skim milk cow's milk every day. I figure the 90 calories carry health benefits...
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I use 1% milk--can't really take skim.

But on the topic, I started using Coffee Mate Lite in my coffee, figuring it was better than half'n'half. True. But one day I realized I was using an awful LOT of Coffee Mate Lite... So then I decided I would get a small container of whole milk every week, just for my coffee, and use less Coffee Mate Lite. This was supposed to be a substitution, and instead it turned out to be supplementation! Because I slowly began increasing the Coffee Mate Lite AND using the whole milk. So... I've got to change my ways with this!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #14  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Hi alone cinder! I work for a cafe like Starbucks in Canada called Second Cup, so I totally know all the challenges you face. I love an iced coffee with soy milk too When I really need it. Otherwise I have steamed skim in regular coffee, and if I need it we have many decent sugar-free syrups.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 264.5/177/165

Height: 5"5

This was a massive issue for me... Some days I'd drink 2 big cartons of mango juice not knowing (well ignoring) the fact that it contained a hefty amount of my daily recommended calories. I've given up my fruit juice addiction, given up the full fat milk and anything full of sugar especially peanut punch (my god that drink is lethal, i could just drink, drink and drink more!)

Good on you for keeping an eye on it, believe me every little helps!
xx
SoulSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote