Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 08:41 PM   #1  
Empress/Queen

Talking Diet Literati!!!

Sorry to shout! I have another question for everyone on the board to post an answer and I promise not to make any long-winded or any comment, just a place to post your opinions for anyone to read!

So, the question is: (Ta-da) What in your opinion are the best "diet" or "fitness" or "weight-management related" books you've EVER read and that you'd recommend to anyone?

Please post your picks if you so desire!!! Mine are:

1. A book I read in the late 1980s sometime about a university program that taught people that hunger was felt in different ways and in different sites in the body and how to identify exactly how one felt hunger and learn to satisfy that. Couldn't tell you the name, author or anything else, but I wish I still had this book.

2. Anything by Prevention Magazine, latterly I've had The Peanut Butter Diet and The Ice Cream Diet. Though these have improbably glitzy popular "diet" book type titles, they are sensible weight loss programs that promote good habits and contribute to all facets of health. For instance, The Ice Cream Diet is similar by design to the medical DASH diet for high blood pressure and stroke prevention. These are really fun little books that pack tons of good information in a drugstore paperback. (P.S., I don't work for Prevention, just wish I did!!!)

3. A report on the results of the National Weight Loss Registry's study of people who have lost significant amounts of weight and maintained the loss for (I think) 10 years. I shouldn't recommend this because I haven't actually read it yet. It's in bookstores here but I'm waiting a bit to buy it. I've heard a lot of the results discussed, though, and it seems the findings of why these people have succeeded contain factors that I used to lose 100 pounds and maintain it for five years (before relapsing a bit)!
Old 07-02-2002, 11:28 PM   #2  

Thanks for the post! I'm needing some new good books to devour...

Mine? -The Fat of the Land by Michael Fumento. I especially like the part where he talks about the importance of fiber in your diet.

-Diary of a Fat Housewife by Rosemary Green. I hope she writes a 2nd book. LOVED the 1st. Couldn't put it down!

Heidi
Old 07-03-2002, 06:25 AM   #3  
deleted2

I don't know about my favorite of all time but I've discovered a new book that I really like and refer to often--it's called "Fit From Within" by Victoria Moran. It's a book of 101 essays that's easy to grab and open at random for those weak moments, and it's small and portable! Reading these essays is like listening to a wise, loving, non-judgemental friend. I'd give this book as a gift!

Old 07-03-2002, 09:38 AM   #4  
Happy Member

I like Quick & Easy 10 Best Diets which touts itself as a complete pocket guide to 10 best diets, fad diets, calorie counter, exercise tips, etc. It has a neat picture of Jennifer Aniston on the cover, and I dip into it every so often for quick encouragement, tips, and so forth. I read a lot, I got this book on a recent vacation trip where I needed something small and packable.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:44 AM   #5  

This book isn't really about weight loss per say, but it touches on the subject along with others (stress, anxiety, addiction, etc.). It was called "The Future's so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades!" It was written so cleverly, funny and insightful. At the end of story was the 'moral' usually it was trust in God, and trust yourself. Like Crone's, I wish I still had this book but multiple movings and two kids later, it's long gone. I think that writers who can inject some humor into their message have a greater impact, on me anyway. Also good is "Fit for Life". Can't remember the author though.

upandaway
Old 07-03-2002, 10:12 AM   #6  
Is it Friday yet?

Diary of a Fat Housewife by Rosemary Green

Food by Susan Powter

Dummies Guide to Nutrition (don't remember who wrote it)

Terri
Old 07-03-2002, 01:56 PM   #7  
emerging from my cocoon

I love books, especially self improvement books. I've read so many I should be pretty much perfect by now

My nominees are:
Potatoes Not Prozac -- Kathleen Desmaisons

The Life Recovery Bible
Old 07-03-2002, 08:25 PM   #8  
Empress/Queen

Wanted to add "Super Smoothies" by Mary Corpening Barber and Sara Corpening Whiteford. Just looking at the pictures in this book have a major impact on getting me to choose a healthy smoothie instead of dulce de leche milk or some such unhealthy thing. It's a pricey book but I got it at the outlet mall. There's an earlier book by this pair of caterers and sisters called "Smoothies" but I'm waiting to find it at a better price.

Today I bought "The Equation" by Dan Isaacson. It's similar to the more well-known "Business Plan for the Body" but I think I like this better.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I love self-improvement and fitness books ... don't get me started on mysteries, also, because we'd be here all day.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:52 PM   #9  
a work in progress...

Fit for Life was written by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond...excellent plan, easy to follow, does the job!

Potatotes, Not Prozac by Kathleen DesMaisons...also good...

I like both of these books because they give you the straight scoop on the physiological reasons (in understandable terms) for WHY we do what we do and WHAT we need to do to change.

Great thread, crone!
Old 07-05-2002, 03:00 PM   #10  
a work in progress...

Default I beg your pardon...

What I meant to say was..."Great thread, AMARANTHA!"

I'm a lttle behind reading posts,please forgive me, your Highness of the Walking poles!
Old 07-05-2002, 10:27 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Smile Yo!!

Thanks for all the great recommendations so far. I'd love for this thread to keep going with ongoing recommendations or even nonrecommendations about fitness- and weight-related reading material (mags, too). I know I stay motivated by reading these kinds of books and I keep some of them around for years and years ... even ones that are dubious in their scientific basis. Some are just fun. So I'd like to add the following recommendations:

One: Well, I don't know the name, but it's a Better Homes and Garden "Diet" (sorry for that D word) cookbook from the 1970s that I found in a friend's bookstore. It is the exact same book that my mom had way back when or maybe she had an older version but it looked the same. Had really great D recipes and PICTURES, which cookbooks MUST have IMO to be successful. The book reminded me how my mom was always going on a "diet" and how much pleasure she took in planning it all out and thinking how great it was all going to work. So I found this book and I kept it for a few months and then passed it along to a friend who likes that kind of thing, too.

Two: The Doctor's Pocket Calorie Fat & Carbohydrate Counter, 2002. This is the latest (unless 2003 is out) of the Calorie King's little guides (nutritionist Allan Borushek). The little books are IMO the best calorie guides available, as well as having guides and counters regarding diabetes, cholesteral, protein, alcohol, fiber, iron, salt/sodium, calcium & osteoporosis, and guidance in exercise (a calories expended in exercise guide also), seniors, etc. It's all in a pocketbook sized 286 pages and you can even buy it for Palm OS also. I've used these books for several years now and don't know why I forgot to mention it on this thread earlier.

My favorite "diet" magazine is no longer in print ... it was a kind of hokey before and after slick full of "success" stories in weight loss. I found these to be somewhat dubious but loved to carry the mag around and look at the before and after pics over and over whenever the demons threatened to scuttle my weight loss plan. I think it was called "Slimming." Wish they'd bring it back.

You are forgiven, Katrinabgood!!! I bought Potatoes Not Prozac for a friend of mine because she wanted it. I forgot to ask her if she liked it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm off to pole walk and think about all those before and after people.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 07-05-2002 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:51 AM   #12  

Default Did someone say books?

Hi guys-I love to read (mostly sci-fi/fantasy) but my favorite book is a cook book I found call "The 4 Ingredient Cookbook" because the problem with most recipes-there is always something you shouldn't add-but these recipes are so simple and fast. I also love the magazine Cooking Light-because the recipes are good and the fitness articles are interesting too. My other choices are self-hynosis books to help with the image problems that come with the weight. I know they might not work for some people but I always wake up feeling better.
Closed Thread