Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default Holy Crap!! (*My new Bodybugg toy...)

My jaw has officially hit the floor

Monday was the first day I've gotten to try out my new toy (the bodybugg)

So I go to the gym this morning and do an hour on the Stair Master and then go about my regular errands and stuff for the day, no biggie right? Nothing crazy

The only thing I did give into temptation was a second serving of frozen blackberries for dessert since quite frankly, I felt hungry (READ: I don't feel guilty about that if I know I felt hungry and needed a little more fuel for this body/engine ). So that kicked me over about another 90 calories or a bit less to 1,990 calories or so for today instead of keeping it between 1,800-1,900 calories as I have been dong for a couple weeks now.

I finally managed to finish installing the bodybugg software in order to upload my info from the bodybugg via the USB port to my laptop, where my bodybugg account was set up.

Jeez, Louise!! No wonder I've either been having difficulties lately losing weight before I upped my calories or felt just plain dead in the afternoons/evenings.

The bodybugg said I burned 3,006 calories for the day of Monday!!!! I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I saw those numbers... I thought maybe I'd get up to 2,500 calories burned for the day at the very most.

I'm a bit afraid to find out what I'd burn if this was one of those days I had done one of my cardio and weight lifting routines, lol!

Frankly, I'm amazed... I've always felt like a lazy sod - even at my present weight of 162 lbs lol - and this just feels bizarre on some level to have burned THAT many calories!

wow! *gulps* I'm sure interested now to see how this week is gonna fare for me, calorie-wise!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 07-28-2009 at 08:12 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

wow, that is pretty high, so your metabolism fire must be roaring. I know the bb takes into account, pulse, temperature, hr, and activity. I know on my busy days I don't want to know how much I am burning...because I feel it would be an excuse to eat more.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Just one word to the wise - don't change what you're eating on the basis of one of these devices! I had a highly respected calorie counter, guaranteed to accuracy within 10%, and got similarly high numbers (I'm really active). Unfortunately, my weight didn't agree with those numbers...if I ate even HALF of what the thing said I burned on a cardio/lifting day, I'd gain weight.

I know this isn't the experience for everyone, but I just wanted to put it out there..you may want to use it for additional info and not to drive your plan.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #4  

LOL... mandalinn82, at the moment, I have nooooo intentions of eating more just because my bodybugg said so I've so far been losing alright at the set amount of calories I'm already eating
Old 07-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Do they base the calories burned primarily on heart rate? And is there any adjustment for resting heart rate?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

THIS

at the moment, I have nooooo intentions of eating more just because my bodybugg said so

is why you're going to rock it!

You are SO not lazy -- just maybe expect alot from yourself. Which is why you succeed. Often we live up to our own expectations of ourselves...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

I got my GWF last week and I was amazed too. However I did change my eating and added more and I am of my 5 month plateau! I am planning to eat more and finally I am not so hungry....what an amazing tool!
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #8  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

I've been using the GoWearFit for over 7 weeks now and love it. But give it a few days to settle down. I had a really high burn for the first three days and then it dropped.

My days are all over the place, basically depending on how much I'm on my feet, more so than how much I exercise.

A day I have a morning walk, putter around the house all day, and then go dancing in the evening are the days I'll see the 3000 calorie burns.

It's a great tool, no doubt. I haven't eaten over my burn rate yet, and have lost 17 lbs.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #9  

yeah, this is my 2nd day and I've already gotten a little over 3 thousand calorie "burn" again.

I bought a pedometer today since I wanna get an idea of how many steps I'm doing as I'm wearing the bodybugg all day tomorrow... they say on the myapex account that you can enter how many steps you do. I think that'll help the "high" calorie burn drop off to a more even level... we'll see!
Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #10  

Your going to be wired for sound.....LOL!!!I have a BB still in box after 4 mo.Think ill have to break it out!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #11  

Wow that's alot of calories! Please keep us updated and let us know how you like your bodybugg!
Deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #12  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by teawithsunshine View Post
yeah, this is my 2nd day and I've already gotten a little over 3 thousand calorie "burn" again.

I bought a pedometer today since I wanna get an idea of how many steps I'm doing as I'm wearing the bodybugg all day tomorrow... they say on the myapex account that you can enter how many steps you do. I think that'll help the "high" calorie burn drop off to a more even level... we'll see!
Actually, you can enter a "goal" of how many steps you want to do - the BB tracks step count (though it's arguably not as accurate as a good pedometer). Under the "My results" page (the first home page), there are a set of grey tabs on the left next to the time graph - calories burned, nutrition, calorie balance, steps, and physical activity. The step count will show steps for each hour, along with a total. (Physical activity is time spent above a certain threshold - high calorie burn time - you can set a goal for this, too).

For those who were asking how it works: it doesn't track HR/pulse, but uses an accelerometer (kind of a multi-way pedometer - tracks motion), a pair of temperature sensors (one measuring your skin, one measuring the room - tracks how much heat you're generating/giving off), and a sensor for skin galvanic response (tracks how much you're sweating).

Basically, it measures all your movements (similar to a good pedometer), but also uses heat and sweat measurements to decide how much you're actually working (i.e. it can tell between bouncing because you're running or because your car needs new shocks).

Anyhow, I'm babbling - I really don't have any connection with the company or whatnot... I just love my BB and wanted to explain how it works. It's just a tool - it's not going to cause magic weight loss any more than the "right diet" or "right workout" will, but it's a better measure of daily workload than most of the other estimate options.

I've actually been surprised by what I've learned - the days when I feel proud of myself for a hard workout and think I've really "earned" something, but actually spent a lot of the rest of the time sitting, I don't burn nearly as much as a weekend day where I never make it to the gym! (My usual weekday lately means gym 5-7, then sitting in class 8-4, then studying a lot in the evenings - burn 2500 cal/day or so... a lazy saturday spent shopping will burn 3500 - all that walking around!)
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 258/237/135

Height: 5' 2"

I'd love to hear updates on how well you are liking the bodybugg. I have been thinking about buying a bodybugg or the GoWearFit but I don't know which one would suit me. I think seeing your burn results would be a big motivator to keep on track.
4girls is offline   Reply With Quote