3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I'm hungry!! (but am I really?) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/177554-im-hungry-but-am-i-really.html)

Windchime 07-25-2009 04:32 PM

I'm hungry!! (but am I really?)

The past day or so, I've been feeling really hungry. Yesterday I went over my calorie budget by about 3-400 calories; not too bad, but enough to make me go "hmmmm".

So today I was feeling hungry again, but when I really stopped and thought about it, it wasn't really hunger I don't think. I think it's stress and anxiety that's making me want to eat. Work is going beyond crappy; everything is up in the air. The programming part of my job is definitely going to end, and I'll be reassigned to something else (which I may or may not like, and which may or may not pay the same). The bosses are saying NOTHING and co-workers are whispering and wondering, when they are not knifing each other in the back.

So.....there is an office a couple hours away that is loosely affiliated with ours. The leadership is strong and has a firm vision. The work environment is more stable. The head boss is someone I know and have a friendly working relationship with, and she responds positively when I have mentioned working there in the past. I have an appointment to meet her for lunch in a couple of weeks. I have scoped out houses in the area, in the same neighborhood as my favorite sister is living. I'm collecting boxes and decluttering my house and making lists as if I were moving or something and........

I realize that I am thinking of moving. It's a huge change for me because I've lived in this small town my whole life, but I think I'm ready for something new. New house, new town, new working relationships. Maybe even a new man; I like being a single girl but I am tired of being alone. And a new climate; I'm currently on the dry side of the state and I'd be moving to the rainy side. It's gorgeous there now; it's easy to love Seattle in the summer! But winter is long and gray and rainy over there.

Anyway......I think this is what is making me feel "hungry". The stress at work combined with the stressfull excitement of perhaps moving is making me want to eat. I'm relieved that I have realized that, so now I can arm myself with healthy snacks and ramp up the exercise. It's kinda funny that I've been at this for 7 months now, and it still took me a couple of days to realize that I'm NOT hungry, I'm stressed!

Shouka 07-25-2009 05:32 PM

Good for you. I have days like these often and even though I know I'm not hungery I eat anyways to soothe what ever it is that is bothering me. I just need to move past it and overcome.

Good job at realizing that you really didn't need to eat something!:carrot:

beautifulone 07-25-2009 05:37 PM

Well there you go :D How awesome is this, now, you'll know!

Good for you, Windchime :) Hope all these changes are smooth and wonderful for you - they sound fantastic!

thinpossible 07-25-2009 07:37 PM

Those are some big changes. Good for you for taking action to better your situation! I hope things work out great!

Heather 07-25-2009 08:08 PM

I have started to try to notice when it's hunger, and when it's something else. I also frequently FEEL hungry, but I wonder if it's something else. In my case, it tends to happen when I'm sitting and working.... when I'm active I don't feel it as much!

Good luck with those changes!

Madison 07-26-2009 12:51 AM

Thats a good moment - realising where that was coming from :) And it actually sounds like it will be a good move for you . . . you sound really happy when you talk about being there.

Windchime 07-26-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danni (Post 2844117)
Thats a good moment - realising where that was coming from :) And it actually sounds like it will be a good move for you . . . you sound really happy when you talk about being there.

I do? Thank you for saying that, Danni! I didn't realize that I actually sounded happy about it, but I think I am. It's still just a tiny little ideathat is growing in my heart, but I am taking steps towards that goal. For instance, I bought slipcovers for the living room furniture today after I realized that I can't possibly have the realtor over to look at the house with my ratty old stained slipcovers.

So yeah, I think it will be a good move. Day by day, I'm liking the idea more. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years, but it feels right now. I just need to keep the stress under control so I'm not tempted to eat to soothe myself.

jendiet 07-26-2009 10:25 AM

oh yes...when I am stressed my stomach actually growls for food! I have learned to "ignore" those false hunger cues.

you are going through alot, I believe the move will be good for you and not just a "grass is greener" scenario.

I do want to caution you--the move MAY NOT be beneficial to you if you are HUGELY affected by the weather. I know after a few days of cloudy days and rain--I get somber. Some people get outright depressed. Seasonal (Mood) Affective Disorder. And if you already eat when stressed, this may become a huge issue for you.

dragonwoman64 07-26-2009 11:03 AM

stress can make me reach for the chocolate (or other goodies), that is great that you realized it. Those kinds of steps are what makes the lifestyle change permanent, I think.

I agree you sound happy and positive when you write about it. Best of luck, and keep us updated on how it's all going.

Windchime 07-26-2009 12:48 PM

Jendiet, I can be affected by the weather and that's one reason that I'm a little cautious about the move. Like I said, it's really easy to fall in love with Seattle in the summer because it's gorgeous and sunny over there right now. We have sunny days spring, summer and fall in the area that I'm in, but we are socked in all winter long and can go weeks without seeing the sun. In the Seattle area, they can go many MORE weeks without the sun so yes, that does bother me.

On the up side, they don't get much snow over there at ALL whereas I have to deal with it here for months.

Either way, it's a lot to think about!

jendiet 07-26-2009 09:49 PM

you are right windchime. I would think about it, pray about it. If you feel strong inner peace about it. Go for it. I left everyone I knew to move to another state 1000 miles away--because I felt that peace. And everything has worked out beautifully. Wasn't always easy...but I am very happy I did it.

teawithsunshine 07-26-2009 09:54 PM

If you're at home and "feel" hungry in-between meals, have a cup of tea/water/coffee and then check in again to see if you're still hungry :)

You're doing terrific in very trying circumstances, bravo!!! : )

~ tea

Madison 07-26-2009 10:00 PM

Seattle seems so pretty :) Its definitely on the short list for travel destinations for me in 2010. I have a friend there and some moving near there and I love that its so close to Vancouver toooooo! (where another friend lives).

And I have heard whispers of a lululemon outlet mall . . . AND with all of your C25K'ing you will be totally ready for the Whidbey Island Marathon/Halfy in March/April ;)

See? Perfect.

:D

Windchime 07-26-2009 10:37 PM

Ha, you make it sound so easy, Danni! :) I really do think that I would like it over there. My best friend feels that I would thrive over there (her words) and she is happy I am thinking about it, although it will mean we will live in different cities. I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that she will be happy to have a free place to stay when she comes over to watch the Seahawks and Mariners, though. That might be her ulterior motive!

Oh, and my sister has a cabin on Whidbey, so *I* have a free place to bunk when I do the Whidbey Island Half Marathon! LOL :)

Madison 07-26-2009 11:21 PM

And dont forget about your new friend in Australia who wanted to do the Whidbey halfy ;)

heeeehee

I try and see life as a series of choices (sometimes harder to do this) . . . and MOST things we get into can be undone if they dont work.

I left a 14 year career with no job prospects, worked for a year doing contract-y work then went to NYC for 3 months, lived like a rockstar, my visa ran out and I thought . . hmmm . . . guess I better go home and get a job now. LUCKILY I got one just before the economy turned sour, but I dont regret just giving things a go. And when they dont work, I will do something else :)

I should add, SOME of it is fortuitious "luck" or people hearing that you need work and you fitting the role, but obviously I studied for many years, worked for 14 and got a lot of experience there . . . but at some stage you have to go and meet your bliss. Or just shake things up a bit so that new things can happen :)

Whatever you decide (either way - stay or go), just know that bcos you have made that decision, it will be the right one. You cant make a wrong move in life.