3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Are my Goals Unrealistic? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/176336-my-goals-unrealistic.html)

rsb0004 07-09-2009 10:14 PM

Are my Goals Unrealistic?

Hello ladies,
I am going to go on my first cruise ever :cloud9: in November. I am wanting to set the goal for myself to be under 200 by then. This is in 4 months. I am 230 now. Do you think this is an unhealthy/unrealistic goal? I would love any advice or feedback. Thanks! Rachel:flow1:

Onederchic 07-09-2009 10:16 PM

I don't think 30 pounds in 4 months is unrealistic. Be sure to eat healthy, eat enough to fuel your body and exercise.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle

jendiet 07-09-2009 10:18 PM

That seems reasonable, because the more you have to lose the easier it usually comes off AND 4 MONTHS= 4X4=16 WEEKS. And 16 x2 lbs a week loss =32. Not unrealistic at all! We're here for you during your journey!

Moralia 07-09-2009 10:36 PM

I think it's a great goal! Good luck! :carrot:

ANewCreation 07-09-2009 10:37 PM

I have to agree with the others--this is a realistic goal.

Heather 07-10-2009 12:20 AM

I think it can be done, but I would caution you for setting yourself up for failure.

One way that could happen is if you don't quite make your goal and go on the cruise having lost, say "only" 25 pounds! What a great accomplishment! But you might feel like a "failure" and that would be a big shame.

A second way is if you really deprive yourself to make the goal and then really really indulge on the cruise as a "reward" and gain a bunch of weight back while on the cruise!!

So, my advice is to think for the cruise, yes, but really try to plan for the long term -- beyond the cruise! 6 months from now you don't want to have gained weight back!!

shrinkingleah 07-10-2009 12:21 AM

I'm not sure if it is realistic or not. Everyone is so different. I lost 28 pounds from Jan. 13th to April 25th. My weight loss has slowed a lot since then. I've been trying to find a magic number, not too low or high calories. I think I lost a bit faster was because I was pretty big. I would say just try your best, eat healthy and keep track of what you're eating. Make sure you're exercising and then just be happy with whatever you've lost and enjoy your cruise!

Jinksie 07-10-2009 12:25 AM

ive personally lost 26lbs in 3 months - with one month of poor eating - so this IMO seems fine; just head down bum up :D (means get to work) lol

TamiL 07-10-2009 04:02 AM

I lost 50 lbs in my first 3 months. Went from a snug 14 to a nicely fitting 8. The next 3 months I've only lost another 10 lbs or so but have went from an 8 to a 4. So its very doable the more weight you have to lose. Just be kind to yourself and do this in a healthy way!

MrsLovett 07-10-2009 04:34 AM

I personally think it is realistic. I have lost 35 lbs. in 4 months. Just my personal opinion though. Good luck!

MrsLovett

Jacque9999 07-10-2009 06:57 AM

Totally doable....with commitment and determination...you can do it!!!

JayEll 07-10-2009 07:10 AM

I agree with Heather--don't set yourself up for going on the cruise feeling mad. Find a realistic, healthy plan and stick with it--you'll make progress, and whether you're down exactly 40 pounds or not, you'll be better off.

Just my opinion: If you want to lose weight, that's good! But make it a long-term goal, not something you "have" to do for a cruise, or a wedding, or a swimsuit...etc.

Jay

WhitePicketFences 07-10-2009 10:00 AM

It's realistic, in my experience -- but in my experience it is also a rate that is kept up by being consistent, not cheating at all, exercising, etc. So yes, realistic, but you will have to keep things tight.

I agree with the other posters in that I try not to get hung up on by X date. Of course, I always have it in my mind ("mini goals" as well as the biggie) but this time I don't hang everything on it -- and unlike previous attempts, I have been thus far meeting or exceeding my timelines, instead of being anxious and failing. So work hard and you can probably lose 30+ pounds in the next 4 months, but the most important thing is that you do your best and if your best is short of 30, then it just is. That's okay, too. It might take an extra month or whatever at the end to get to where you eventually want to be, but hey, the important thing is you will be thin! This is what I tell myself :)

rsb0004 07-10-2009 03:03 PM

Thanks so much guys! I agree about not setting a "must be a certain number by X date..." goal. I will keep the same goal, but be sure to be aiming in actuality for vitality and high self-image. I just want to be healthy and to feel comfortable in my own body. I may not be able to attach a number to that...

zanni 07-11-2009 12:26 AM

you can do it!