3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Would you ....? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/176144-would-you.html)

srmb60 07-07-2009 04:25 PM

Would you ....?

Today, I was privy to a conversation that got me thinking.

Here's my poll.

Let's say that you meet a woman who has lost over 100 pounds in under a year ... ten years ago! She's lovely and fit. You've met in the grocer, so you know she eats real food.

How would you take her advice?

stargzr 07-07-2009 04:33 PM

I'd say that while what she did worked for her, things can be different on different bodies/ages/etc.... So I would definitely listen to what she had to say, then work it out for myself.

mandalinn82 07-07-2009 04:43 PM

We seem to have somewhat of a consensus on answers.

I would definitely listen to what she had to say. I'd consider whether it would fit into my life and/or work for me. And then I'd take the bits that I found useful, ignore the bits I didn't, and move forward.

No one knows the "whole truth" of weight loss for everyone. Some people may have figured out how to make it work for themselves at that moment in time, but no one knows if that will translate to other people or even other time periods in THAT person's life. So I take all advice with a bit of careful consideration.

Idealmuse 07-07-2009 04:47 PM

I'd listen... I've done the over 100 in a year myself so I might have things to share myself to someone, especially if they were new to it, but really you just have to give it an ear and see if anything might apply to you because we all are different.

JulieJ08 07-07-2009 04:50 PM

I voted the same as everyone else. I'm having a hard time coming up with anything to say about it that doesn't make me Captain Obvious.

kiramira 07-07-2009 06:07 PM

It depends on whether I ASKED for her advice or not.

If I didn't, I don't think I'd be able to HEAR what she said because I'd be too irked. :)

If I DID, I'd listen carefully and evaluate the info. If she had eliminated food groups or had an odd eating habit/schedule or something I didn't philosophically agree with, I wouldn't follow it. But if it was the usual advice, sure I'd listen and decide for myself later.

Kira

RealCdn 07-07-2009 06:29 PM

I'd definitely listen, however, it's highly unlikely I'd change my current methods (unless she added something I found useful). I did almost answer 'not at all', but I'd like to think that I'm open to change. The reality is it's seriously unlikely I'd change what I'm doing (as it is working). :D

Mrs Snark 07-07-2009 06:36 PM

I'd listen, but that doesn't mean I'd automatically implement any changes. But I'd definitely listen, I love to hear new ideas.

Tomato 07-07-2009 06:52 PM

What Manda said. I would definitely listen to her advice but then I would evaluate how/if it suits my needs etc.

Lori Bell 07-07-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiramira (Post 2817119)
It depends on whether I ASKED for her advice or not...

Bingo. If I was just cruisin the grocery store and some lovey lady came up and started evaluating my cart and decided to offer weight loss advice, I'd tell her to go away...:D BUT, if I asked her how she lost weight and she told me how she did it, I would listen intently (and take what I liked and leave the rest.)

Now Susan, you MUST tell us the story...I love some good juicy gossip! :devil:

RealCdn 07-07-2009 09:12 PM

Yes, do tell. :)

kiramira 07-07-2009 09:27 PM

Pretty please? With :broc: on top????

Kira

ps Please?

srmb60 07-08-2009 05:24 AM

Ah! These women have known each other for a while. But A didn't know that B was a weight loss maintainer. They have seen each other in the grocery store, but met at work.
The statement that caught my attention "I'd give anything to look like you."
B then politely stated a few things that she does.
A disagreed about a few things, glazed over and then asked about a weight loss pill I can't remember the name of.

Mrs Snark 07-08-2009 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB (Post 2817590)
A disagreed about a few things, glazed over and then asked about a weight loss pill I can't remember the name of.

You can lead a horse to water.... ;)

Jacque9999 07-08-2009 06:39 AM

I probably would ask how she did it. Then I would listen HOWEVER would take the info with a grain of salt. And here is why.

My brother is a real health nut. Always has been. He is now a vegan. That works for him but I could NEVER live that way. He sent me some information on Food Combining. Interesting concept but again, I could NEVER live that way. Having said that, I do sometimes think about the "concept" when I am making my food choices but most of the time I just can't do it. Plus, I don't even totally understand it.....too much info to remember.

It's the same way with Jillian Michaels
Master your Metabolism....I am reading the book, alot makes sense but it is WAY TOO MUCH information. I have made some changes but will NEVER be able to TOTALLY live that way. So to end my rampage on this I will just say....what I have been doing, has worked for ME!!! I will continue with my routine/schedule/food choices for now...when it stops working, I will switch it up.

The End