Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default Licking the flavor off potato chips...

My dh brought home a bag of my favorite potato chips tonight. At first I wasn't going to eat any, but then I changed my mind.

Then I thought, wait a minute, I don't want to eat that many calories, or eat a bunch of chips so close to bedtime, so I took a small bowl, licked the bbq flavor off them, and threw away the chips.

At first I thought I might have hit upon a really good idea, then I stopped and had the sneaking suspicion that this might be an eating-disordered thing.

What do you think? Is this a good way to avoid a bunch of calories and still get the taste of something, or is this a bad idea?

Have you ever done something similar?
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #2  
Maintenance...

S/C/G: 167.5/132/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi. I've never done anything like that, first off because I wouldn't have the will power to just stop after a taste. It doesn't sound like a healthy or normal thing to do though. You want to make a healthy lifestyle change which is done with just eating healthy with portion control, incorporating treats into your plan(if you calorie count and want to allow for treats) and exercise. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by Kim K; 07-05-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Kim K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Why not just work in a serving or half a serving into your plan for the day as a treat if you really want some?

lol I couldn't tease myself like that....it would probably push me into a binge!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

sodium would be a killer...lol..you and I think alike
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

There is an eating disorder that involves chewing and spitting.

Take out one actual serving and dump the rest of it in the garbage can - out of it's packaging so that you don't grab it out after.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #6  

If I took out one serving, I'd eat the whole bag because I'd never stop at the one serving, so it's probably better to quit having them in the house. My dh was just being thoughtful because he knows they're my favorite. He doesn't know that I'm trying for the three millionth time to get a grip on myself...

I didn't chew or spit the chips. I just licked the flavor off. This might sound really awful, but I'd be tempted to look into that chewing and spitting technique. It would probably save a lot of calories. (I know, that's bad to even think about.)
Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

I had a friend who used to chew and spit brownies. It was pretty gross, to be honest, but not as gross as my college roommate who would eat Doritos in bed out of the Family Size bag (or whatever it was called then) and then vomit into the wastebasket she kept next to her bed. OMG, college was gross.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #8  

I could never do the vomiting thing. GROSS.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I agree with others with you should try to work it into your calories for the day. Potatoes, especially potato chips, are my weakness and I would never be able to stop at licking, lol.

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietitian, nutritionist, any kind of health professional or fitness expert...I'm just a woman who's lost 130 pounds so far with a lot of hard work.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Please don't look into chewing and spitting. Like Anorexia and Bulimia, it can lead to severe health problems and even death. Tell your husband to never bring home chips again and seek healthy weight loss techniques. Being overweight isn't fun, but developing an eating disorder in addition to that is very dangerous.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Why not look for the BBQ seasoning and find a healthy alternative to put it on? It sounds like the seasoning is the attraction, not the chip.
Maybe on a nice bowl of healthy air popped popcorn? A sweet potato? Some roasted veggies?

Last edited by CountingDown; 07-05-2009 at 10:42 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
If I took out one serving, I'd eat the whole bag because I'd never stop at the one serving, so it's probably better to quit having them in the house. My dh was just being thoughtful because he knows they're my favorite. He doesn't know that I'm trying for the three millionth time to get a grip on myself...

I didn't chew or spit the chips. I just licked the flavor off. This might sound really awful, but I'd be tempted to look into that chewing and spitting technique. It would probably save a lot of calories. (I know, that's bad to even think about.)
I'm sure DH is just trying to be thoughtful. Which is why I believe you need to have a SERIOUS talk with him and let him know that you are trying very hard to change your lifestyle and eat in a healthy manner and that you need his FULL cooperation. Let him shower you with flowers or perfume or kind words - not fat laden nutrient sparse foods. I think when first starting out on a weight loss program it would probably be best to refrain from those type foods. Maybe further down the road you can reintroduce chips - once in a while and in moderation - like buying a single serving sized bag.

I think you may want to incorporate a better strategy then licking or chewing and spitting your foods. Where will it stop, once you start? Will you start licking hamburgers, french fries, etc...... Or chewing and spiting pizza, cookies, etc.. Is this really how you want to "get a grip"? It sounds to me like that kind of behavior is not REALLY getting a grip at all.

I think you may have to make peace with the fact that "those type foods", while they TASTE good, aren't so GOOD in the long run. Their value is very limited and doesn't last all that long. You need to find foods that taste good AND are good for you - long after you're done chewing them (& swallowing - not spitting).

While you take away certain foods, you get to ADD in others. Delicious berries for instance. Yummm. Frozen banana slices or frozen grapes. Fat free/sugar free yogurt. Smoothies. Spicy baked sweet potato "fries". Roasted cauliflower - with chilli powder, cumin, garlic and onion. All taste fabulous - and will make you look and feel fabulous as well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #13  
~jus' being me~

Chips are my crack, but after a long period of not having them, when I re-introduced them into my life . . . I couldnt believe how awful they taste it. Now mind you, I did try and confirm my suspicions many many many times over, but the result was the same - the taste was never how I imagined it in my heavier days . . . I was left feeling dehydrated the next day from all the salt and my guts were gurgly from all the other 'stuff' in them.

If you can stick to a single portion do it, but nutritionally there is so little value in a packet of chips that its not worth it. I would rather spend my calories on other stuff Sometimes that other stuff is not the best option either admittedly but it doesnt send me into an eating frenzy like chippies can.

Last edited by Madison; 07-05-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 155.8/ticker/130

Height: 5 ft 6

DO NOT look into chewing and spitting to "save calories"? BAD IDEA........ This IS an eating disordered behavior and causes many problems. For one, if you chew food your body thinks the food is coming, but when it doesnt you'll get a build up of insulin and acids in your stomach.............. not good. Also, it's GROSS.....
Kimmie1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd say it might have seemed to be a good thought at the time, but it's not a sustainable approach in the long run.

Look, potato chips just have to be off limits for awhile. So what? They are not the last potato chips in the whole wide world! You can get along just fine without them, even if you do like the taste. It is not a big deal. Surely you aren't going to be pushed around by some food item...

The time will come, down the line, when you may be able to have ONE serving of them and stop. But that time is not now, so just avoid them. And don't play these eating-but-not-eating games. They just keep the craving going. It's like an alcoholic licking out the bottom of someone's drink glass...

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-06-2009 at 06:38 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote