I can't do it!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I feel like I'm stuck at my weight.
    I feel like I made a lot of good changes.
    I drink more water.
    Always eat breakfast (oatmeal typically)
    Don't eat after 7.
    Eat a lot more fruits and veggies.
    But I don't see a change at all.
    And I've actually started moving around more, like I take walks to get to the store and walk just for fun/exercise on a nearby bike trail, for three miles at a time.
    Someone told me that this could just be my normal weight but I don't think so.
    I have three thin siblings, one of which lost 40 or so pounds a few years ago just by eating less and moving more (the way it should be done, obviously.)
    Am I totally not getting it? Am I missing something from the big picture?
  • We all get frustrated at times so you are not alone . Can you give us a bit more detail of your diet and exercise plan?
  • A number of things - firstly, maybe you dont need to lose weight - you would still look GREAT at 165lbs and being 5'6" - but only you know if you need/want to - its hard without actually knowing you to comment on that.

The other thing is, are you tracking what you eat? Although it could all be "healthy" food, your portions may be too big. Its easy to eat more than we think we are eating unless we are used to portion control. And sometimes even though I write down everything that I eat I get to the end of the day and often I have forgotten that I had those hazelnuts say bcos I didnt make a note of it. It can all add up.

Lastly . . . if you WANT to do it, you WILL do it! We all can and we all have the ability to.

Sounds like you are definitely on the right track and all that you need is to perhaps tweak things a little.

ps. love that little bunny in your siggy!
  • Are you eating 5-6 meals a day? What are you eating? What the starchy carbs...even if you are eating less of them, they are still not the best for you calorie wise. I have been counting calories and have lost 27 lbs since April....but that has worked for ME...doesn't work for everyone!!! You are starting out at a little more then me but you are also taller then me. We need more details, like chunkychic said.
  • I should start tracking what I'm eating. Today I ate oatmeal, a pear, salad with some light dressing, a coffee with a little 2% milk, 2 small choco chip cookies, and a small cheeseburger and a half with a little ketchup. I also had a drink with my cousin by the pool. It was a family get together so I kind of indulged I guess. I live at home, and it was either a burger or steak for lunch today. I bought the oatmeal myself so I have a quick easy choice for breakfast.

Yikes...today doesn't seem that great, but I'm done for the day since it's past 7. I used to weight 140, 4 years ago, but I had an eating disorder. Is it possible I screwed my body up? I haven't had eating problems (other than a little overeating I guess) pretty much since I met my boyfriend. He is wonderful. He also wants to lose some weight as well, but as for exercise, he'd ran lift weights than walk or run, like I like to. We walked his 3 enormous dogs once, and it was a lot of fun, so we should do that more! He's out of the country for 2 weeks though.
  • hey Scorpio, it looks like your the same height, age, and weight as me! (well, im a pound more, but basically the same!) Have you ever tried Weight Watchers? I've had a lot of success on WW and found that it really teaches you how to eat. Different strokes for different folks of course, but you sound like your basically on the right track! Good luck on your weight loss!! p.s yesterday i had a bad day (crying in a Target dressing room) we all have those! It's nice that your bf is willing to exercise with you, thats a wonderful thing! You can both encourage eachother while you try to reach your goals!!
  • Walking the dogs with your BF sounds like a great plan!! I love sneaky exercise like that where you dont feel like you are actually working out

And its very easy for a few extra's to sneak into our days. WW is great if you like some structure. If you dont want to do a formal "plan" its not a bad idea just to write down what you eat with no judgement (particularly if you have had a history of ED's) and then every day think about what you can do better the next day. So if you have a cheeseburger and drinks today . . . maybe next time you eat out you skip the alcohol (just empty calories sometimes) and make sure you have an extra salad and half a burger.

Writing things down will make you more aware of what you are eating and sometimes just little changes can be easier and you can keep them up for longer (ie. forever )
  • I agree. Journaling is a great idea. Fitday.com is a popular place to do that at for free. It helps to know how many calories you are really eating and to be accountable for what you eat.
  • Thanks ladies. You're all so helpful and kind. It's not even a " I need to be x weight" thing, I just feel like I miss out on a lot because I'm embarrassed that I'm so much bigger than my friends or I don't want others to see me because I'm having a fat day. It's so frustrating! I can either think that for the rest of my life, or I can actually do something, and slowly but surely get to where I want to be.
    I'm browsing the WW website right now. How is it different than counting/journaling on your own? Maybe due to the fact that others are holding you accountable?
  • Scorpio ~ Have you tried working out with weights? Just little hand held barbells. For years and years I dieted without sucess. I have been working out just this week and have lost three lbs! Not much really, but my daughter started working out just a few months ago, and along with dieting has lost 40 lbs!! Give it a try.
  • Late to the game - I have some little weights. 2 or 3 lbers, i forgot. I bought them to do Jillian's 30 day shred. I cried the entire time and never did it again. Maybe I should dust off that DVD...
  • I think it would be a good idea to incorporate some strength training. I won't lie and say it is easy, as I am sure you already know, but if you are diligent, the results are definitely worth it. Good luck

PS - I ♥ Jillian

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietitian, nutritionist, any kind of health professional or fitness expert...I'm just a woman who's lost 130 pounds so far with a lot of hard work.
  • Hon, you gotta really, really KNOW what you are eating. Every single day. Every bite. Every morsel. And go from there.

There are alot of plans out there that can help you track your intake, so find one that fits into your lifestyle and go for it. The exercise is good, but you'll see the most change when you sort out your diet.

Let us know how it goes!

Kira
  • I heart Jillian too!!!!!

I dont worry about how good or bad I am at 30 Day Shred, just that I get up and do it is enough!
  • A couple of things I see on threads all the time that make people feel like they are trying to lose weight, but actually don't make much difference are drinking water and not eating after a certain time. Yes we all need liquids to function, but whether you drink all diet coke or a gallon of water, you aren't going to change the amount of weight you lose. And the time you eat is a lot less important than WHAT you are eating.

Bottom line, eat less calories than you need and/or burn more calories through exercise. The rest is all just nice to have stuff.

Good luck!