wanting to change diet please help(male)

• Hi
    great site glad i found it and hope you dont mind a male tagging along???
    i have just done 2 weeks of the aitkins induction and have lost 12.5 lb i have went from 16st 2.5lb to 15st 4lb this morning, my problem is that i never intended staying with this diet i just wanted a kick start, could someone reccomend a diet or lifestyle that i could now move onto to continue to lose weight or at least stay at my current weight.
    please help
    bobbyjo
  • I'd recommend calorie counting as a lifestyle and continuing to apply some of the basic principles of Atkins (get most of your carbs from vegetables and fruits).

There is a forum on this site for calorie counting, good info in there.
  • There are so many plans, and each work well for some people and not so well for others. So what are you looking for? Do you need a lot of structure/rules telling you what to eat? Are you able to track your food all day long, or do you prefer to just have a list of "acceptable" and "not acceptable" foods to work from? When someone tells you "You may not eat X", are you OK with that, or do you crave it more?
  • Welcome!

Not sure if they have a presence in Ireland, but Weight Watchers has some very sensible options that might provide a more long term approach. They have a flex plan that is very Atkins like so if you are liking that but want a little more flexibility, that might work.

Another 2 are US based but I'm pretty sure you could get the information off the web. One is called DASH and it is focused on reducing blood pressure/sodium consumption and is a good plant based diet. You could also look at the MyPyramid.gov site which is the USDA suggested eating. It is very similar and I think it is a very reasonable plan for steady weight loss.

Peg
  • I find that calorie counting works best for me. A flexible , less restrictive way of eating.
  • Atkins has been wonderful for you! I also did Atkins- but couldn't stick with it, i did lose 16 # though! So I then switched to weight watchers. You can do this on line or go to the meetings. I need to go to meetings and be held accountable, I like seeing the same people and sharing in their success'. The weigh in part is very private and you only share if you want, we have about 16 women and 6 men in our session.

My highest weight was 209!
    Today's weight is 142# (reached WW goal in 2008)