I heart Kaplods

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I found this site right just before I hit goal, and I lurked for about a year before I even registered. I quickly learned to look forward to Kaplods' posts, and I've found that I agree with almost everything she says. (About the only point of disagreement I can think of is that for me, junky food still tastes very, very good). I admire her wisdom, her willingness to share her experiences (and recipes!), and her willingness to jump in and say what needs to be said, even when it might be a bit painful. And, to be completely honest, I am envious of her self-awareness and apparent inner peace.

So, from a long-time lurker, first-time thread starter, thanks, Kaplods. You provide invaluable help to the members of this forum.
  • (Blushing). I appreciate the compliment.

It's not that I think a lot of junk food doesn't taste good, it's just that my tastes have changed enough to realize that some junk doesn't taste nearly as good as I remember it (Unfortunately, some of it still does).

However, it's easier to avoid "all of it," by remembering the stuff I used to like, that I don't like anymore, than it would be if I thought about the stuff that still tastes good to me. I can distract myself with all of the healthy food I now find amazing.

My concept of junk food though is changing too. I bought some "jelly puddings" in a grocery store (basically a milky, vegetarian jello - using seaweed instead of gelatin as the thickener, and using fruit juice and powdered milk or powdered non-dairy creamer for the flavor.)

I probably would have considered it a "health food," a year ago. Now, I realize that it really doesn't offer a lot of nutrition for the calorie - although 90 - 140 calories for 1/2 to 3/4 cup of jello is a better choice (calorically, anyway) than cheesecake (can't think about cheesecake very long, or I'm doomed).

They aren't entirely nutritionally bankrupt, but neither are the vast majority of fast foods. Even a Big Mac has some protein, vitamins, minerals.....

I just never new how many foods existed on the healthiest side of the spectrum.

Today hubby and I had to go to a buffet with his sister (well, no one pointed a gun at us and forced us to go, so we "chose" to go), and I went thinking I was going to eat off-plan, and just try to be sensible. If I finished without a bellyache, I would have called it success. Instead, I did really well (the fruit on the buffet looked awesome, and was). And maybe for the first time ever, didn't even a little bit regret what I didn't put on my plate. That was really amazing.

It's just really cool to look at a piece of fruit as a decadence. I used to think that was rather sad and pitiful - like mother's who gave kids dried nori strips as a "treat." Now I'm snacking on nori, and buying miniature bananas at 3 times the price of regular bananas (I think I may be convincing myself that they "taste better" than larger bananas, but they're definitely cuter, so money spent on cute stuff is always justified, right?)

Oh, by the way. I tried dragon fruit for the first time. Big waste of money. I'm glad I tried it, but it tastes sweet, but with no real flavor besides sweet - sor of like sugar water - actually sugar water may have more flavor. The texture was nice, but I like to taste my food when I taste it.
  • Yep, we all enjoy seeing Kaplods' posts!

Jay
  • I heart Kaplods!
  • I wholeheartedly agree! Kaplods' posts always make enormous sense to me.
  • co-signed here too.
  • Ita with everything said about Kaplods

And a **** ya on the dragon fruit. To me... it tasted like watered down kiwi. Meh.
  • Gosh, you guys are going to give me a big head. I'm glad my posts resonate with others.

Usually, my posts are a way for me to talk to myself, you know? It's not that I don't love each and everyone here, and don't want to help out someone else if I can, but often when I see posts and respond - it's not really to the posters that I'm speaking to, but to the part of me inside that feels exactly like the poster.

Sometimes I feel like a big imposter when people praise my advice (advice that I'm having so much difficulty following myself). I mean, I think "has anyone noticed how long it's taking me to do this, would they value my opinion, nearly so much, if they realized it's taken me most of my life to learn this stuff and I still can't master it to the point of actually losing more than a lousy couple pounds a month."

But, I realize that most of you do know, either because you've experienced it youself, or because I repeat it so often (have to add my disclaimer, to feel honest) - so then I ask myself "so really - who isn't listening - only me." Yeah, I talk to myself alot (you think I'd listen more).

I just got some advice from someone in my life to basically "poop or get off the pot," with my weight loss, and it really had me feeling crappy (forgive the pun). Self-doubt and recrimination were starting to rear their ugly heads, and I started second guessing myself.

Some of that was good - there are changes I want to make that I've been reluctant to, or maybe afraid to. That's a legitimate issue (for me to ask myself, not necessarily for this particular person to make, but it wasn't maliciously intended, just overstepping personal boundaries, I guess). The person isn't close enough to me to necessarily have the "right" to make those judgements (my issues affect my husband and family, so I accept alot more "well-meaning" advice from them, even when it hurts, because they have a stake in what happens to me). I'm still not sure why this person felt the need, given our casual relationship, to make such a comment - I'm reminding myself to give her the slack that I've often suggested other people do when in a similar situation. It's not "for her," that I'm needed to forget it, but for me, so that I don't feel that what I've accomplished is useless, even if I can't or won't lose any more.

In essence, I guess there's plenty of reason to "keep sitting on the pot," because in this war, even holding ground is better than losing ground. And that's what I really felt like this person was saying - that the war wasn't worth fighting if I couldn't win it completely.

I've won alot actually. I no longer have sleep apnea, many of my health issues are under better control. I can do more physically, I don't feel like I'm drowning when I sleep on my back - I don't feel like I'm going to explode after eating.....

I'm ranting and rambling again, aren't I? I'm so glad you guys are here, and understand the twisted workings of my crazy mind. This stuff is so crazy hard sometimes.

I heart you all too!
  • Kaplods, you rox my sox!

Your posts are some of the best, well-written of this board.
  • Hmph - a couple pounds a month adds up to over 20 lbs a year, and tends to STAY off! I was lecturing the teens about the benefits of slower weight loss this weekend. And now that I'm reaching a healthier weight and exercising more, I've actually bumped up my calorie count (which is harder than it sounds) by a few hundred.

I also enjoy your posts. Oh and I see you're from Wausau! I've spent several Thanksgivings in Waupun - not too far from there.
  • Kaplods, you are many times the voice of calm reasoning for me. I do look forward to your well thought out posts. Thank you! Try to replace those ugly negative thoughts about the slowness of your weight loss with positive ones. You are doing great!
  • Kaplods, I love your introspection. You ferret out the WHY of things, not just the HOW and it opens my mind to new ideas and paths. I love that you are strong (stay strong!) and make your own way in life, influenced by others but always true to yourself. Thank you and ROCK ON! C.J.
  • ditto, kaplods - I always know when I'm reading a "hotter" thread that when I reach your name, I'm about to learn something. Please don't ever stop talking to yourself, and sharing those thoughts with us.
  • Slide on over ladies, I like her posts too. Her ideas for food are..well...pretty amazing...her posts are well articulated and informative.

Kaplods, I am in Arkansas for a few days more..quite possibly the mother load state of the buffet. I can proudly say I can navigate them without problem. I pile plate after plate high with carrots, red onions, peas, tomatoes and the like. I tote my own dressing in my purse. I feel so proud as I walk past the fried mystery foods without wanting them.
  • Kaplods, I love that last post overhead. How perfectly and beautifully honest. Thanks for that. I hearted you before, now more so.