Should I get some scales and calorie count?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey guys. I really need to get fit and lose weight, however I don't want to become obsessive. I'm not bothered about my weight as such, more my fitness levels and the way I look and feel.

So, should I get some scales? It seems irrelevant in a way as I want to be toned rather than thin. But on the other hand I want to be able to share my success with people - and know myself if I have lost weight.

I also don't know if I should calorie count because I don't want to be a boring dieter who can't go out for a meal or round to a friends house withouh counting all the time!

Thanks guys xx
  • Quote: Hey guys. I really need to get fit and lose weight, however I don't want to become obsessive. I'm not bothered about my weight as such, more my fitness levels and the way I look and feel.

So, should I get some scales? It seems irrelevant in a way as I want to be toned rather than thin. But on the other hand I want to be able to share my success with people - and know myself if I have lost weight.

I also don't know if I should calorie count because I don't want to be a boring dieter who can't go out for a meal or round to a friends house withouh counting all the time!

Thanks guys xx
    Here's the thing, your'e either going to do it or you're not. I won't lie to you, at first it is obssessive because you have to really take stock of what you're doing and evaluate and anlyze everything. If you don't do this for yourself then nobody will.

- you have to write down everything you eat and look up the calories for a week or so. That should be long enough for you to realize that you're taking in more calories than you should.
    - after that you have to start cutting calories here and there wherever you can.
    - you have to exercise
    - you have to say no to a lot of desserts
    - you have to cut your portions down

Your post is rather confusing. First you say you don't care about your weight, then you say you want to share with other people that you lost weight. But then you say you want to be able to go out with your friends without being a "boring" dieter. Believe me, since I've started a new lifestyle of eating my life is anything but boring. It doesn't sound like you're ready to make a change but if you're here for support then we're glad to give it. But please don't call us "boring dieters who can't go out without counting."
  • It probably sounds confusing cos I don't really know how to do this. No offence intended. I was talking about me, no-one else, I'm here for help not to annoy people.

Anyhoo - anyone got suggestions where I can look up calories etc then?

Thank you!

xxx
  • I calorie count and this is a good website (I think) for finding out how many calories are in different foods:

www.healthyweightforum.org

Good luck!
  • I use the Daily Plate (www.thedailyplate.com/) to track calories. I'm a big fan of weighing every day and calorie counting. It may seem like alot of effort at first but once you're familiar with the counts on the foods you eat often it is really easy...

As far as the scale goes, I like weighing but it hard to say what will work for you. I'd say give it a try! Good luck!
  • Thank you! I'll have a look at that now. Also, how do you get those things to go at the bottom of your posts showing how far you are to your target weight?

Thanks
  • Thanks to you Tyler too. Replied to stringbean's answer before I saw yours. I'll have a look at both websites and see which one I like. Am gonna order some scales, I would like to keep track of things.
  • Well, if you NEED to lose weight, scales wouldn't hurt. You don't have to jump on them every single day. Maybe log your progress once every week or so. Even a tape measure might help you gauge the direction you are going.

If you want to lose weight by counting calories, the only way to do that is to count calories. You need to be committed and mindful of what you are eating. If this sounds obsessive to you, maybe you are just not ready. And that is fine. We all start at different points/weights in our lives.

IMO, if you plan to veer off some days and not count at all, it might take you a good while to get where you are wanting to go body-wise. You may find yourself always one step behind.

Counting calories does not mean banning all restaurant eating or never enjoying a couple of drinks. It just means you need to ask for a nutritional menu to make sure you keep everything in check and be willing to stay within the boundaries. There is no eyeballing, no willy-nilly, no wishy-washy. This doesn't mean you cannot make mistakes. Mistakes do not mean failure. But intentionally sabotaging what efforts you may make in one week for the sake of knocking back a few or doubling up on every portion at every meal and not counting them in will put you on the road to yo-yoing.

With all of this said, it sounds to me like you might benefit more from the zig-zag approach. What this means is, yes, somedays you are going to have to eat lower cal than others (never below 1200). But on other days, you will feel that you just cannot take one more bite. Maybe try to fit this type of calorie schedule in with your current lifestyle needs.

Your "diet" is what you make it. There are thousands of food choices out there. Not to mention the tons and tons of seasonings to spice everything up. I am not sure if this equates to boring. Hasn't been boring for me thus far.
  • Thanks Niecy. Is a nutritional menu something I can ask for in restaurants? Don't know if they have them in the UK (sorry if I'm being thick).
  • I am a calorie counter , too. I assure my life is not boring as a calorie counter and that is much preferable to having to buy clothes in the extra large sizes. I have been at goal for 18 months and am happy about it. I still count calories and I guarantee my friends don't even know it. I use the Calorie King Fat and Carbohydrate counter a small pocket size book with calorie counts as well as calorie counts for Fast Food and Restaurants. Tons of other information, too. You can usually find it in pharmacies, I got mine at my HMO Pharmacy. You can also go online to www.CalorieKing.com
    There are also manyother sites on the internet with calorie counts.
  • I'm going back to daily weighing and calorie counting.

However, I have lost 15 lbs by guessing and just getting more active. I just don't seem to be able to move along from here. So if what you're doing is not working, what do you do? change something. And I am.

There are more ways to monitor your progress. The fit of clothing, body fat measuring, endurance ... It would help me to help you if I knew how much we're talking about here. Do you mind telling us how much you weigh and how tall you are?
  • Knowledge is power.... I had no idea the amount of calories I was putting into my body until I did the research, It was a major wake up call for me and helps me make better choices ....Good luck
  • I am 5' 4". I weigh about 12 stone. This is why I need to get some scales as I don't know exactly how much I weigh. I weighed myself the other day though on someone else's scales and it was about that. I will get some scales and post my weight on here as soon as I know
  • Quote: Knowledge is power.... I had no idea the amount of calories I was putting into my body until I did the research, It was a major wake up call for me and helps me make better choices ....Good luck
    Thanks HollyA. Good luck to you too!
  • Quote: I am a calorie counter , too. I assure my life is not boring as a calorie counter and that is much preferable to having to buy clothes in the extra large sizes. I have been at goal for 18 months and am happy about it. I still count calories and I guarantee my friends don't even know it. I use the Calorie King Fat and Carbohydrate counter a small pocket size book with calorie counts as well as calorie counts for Fast Food and Restaurants. Tons of other information, too. You can usually find it in pharmacies, I got mine at my HMO Pharmacy. You can also go online to
    There are also manyother sites on the internet with calorie counts.
    Thanks. I want one of those books. Will try find one in UK.