Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #1  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Default Visiting 3FC won't make you lose weight.

In a previous life, about 10 years ago, I did Weight Watchers. I turned up religiously every week to be weighed in, I took notes about what the lecturer was saying, I recorded every gram of food that passed my lips, I cooked my low-fat, high-carb meals every day and I walked.

But I didn’t really lose any weight. Because I missed the most important part, and that was restricting my intake. Yep, I counted my points all the way up to the 50’s and beyond (I think from memory I was supposed to stop at 23).

I remember being disillusioned. I remember thinking “I’m on a DIET here, people! Why aren’t I losing weight?” Well guess what? All the self-talk in the world reminding yourself that you are dieting, and recording your intake, and weighing yourself every day, isn’t going to do the slightest bit of good if you aren’t actually following the program!

Doesn’t matter what the program is. For the purposes of this exercise I’m now counting calories. But whether you’re following WW, Jenny, MRC, Atkins or some other guru, the truth remains. You have to eat less than you expend if you want to lose weight. It’s physics, people! And you canna change the laws of physics, Jim…

Coming to 3FC every day, in itself, won't make the pounds melt away. What it WILL do is provide you with the support and encouragement you need. Seriously, I've tried this weight loss thing over and over again. But it wasn't until I discovered this wonderful community that I started taking appropriate action to get my weight down, and most importantly, NOT let it bounce back up!

Thanks everyone...

So now I’m doing it right. With the expected results, funnily enough! I’m today - officially - 85.1kg! That’s a total loss since I started this journey over 12 months ago of 12.9 kg, or 29.4 lb for those of you who still speak the old language. That’s nearly 30 lb, people!

Check out the link to my blog (<<<) for some pics. Be prepared to be surprised!

Cheers chickies.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Great post.

One thing I like to remind myself is that reading exercise magazines and 3FC and weightloss blogs and yoga magazines isn't going to do anything but make my butt flatter and wider.

It's actually when I stop reading and start doing that I lose weight and tone up.

And congrats on losing a typewriter!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

DRAT! ANOTHER weight loss strategy out the window! I've found that for me in the past, the amount of weight I lost was INVERSELY proportional to the number of diet books and magazines I bought!!!

Thanks for the reminder and the post -- it IS hard work, and if one says anything different, he/she is probably selling something...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #4  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I know just like joining a gym w/out going won't help
Drinking diet soda w/ a ton of junk food
Joining Jenny Craig,Nutrisystem or any other plan ,and not following the rules
I guess the only way is what we learned way back when, burn up more calories than you consume!That's pretty easy. Right?
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #5  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

haha. While 3FC is definitely a more positive mind excersize than a lot of stuff on the internet, it's true, sitting in front of a computer, any computer, is hazardous to the size of your butt.
However, 3FC is one of the best weight loss tools I've found. This site has done more to revolutionize my way of thinking than had ever been done before. I'm grateful to all the chicks (and ducks) on here, just for being here to relate.

now let's all get up and go jog around the block.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #6  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I am a long time lurker on this site and just registered so I could comment. I laughed out loud because I recognized an old behaviour of giving myself credit for working out if I went to the gym but couldn't get in because parking lot full!

Now I still don't go to the gym if the lot is full but drive to the other branch which has more parking and work out there.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I just did 25 minutes of yoga from yogadownload.com which has free (and non-free) yoga downloads.

I used to subscribe to 3 different fitness magazines. It took so long to get through them I never had time to exercise! Now I just get yoga journal which inspires me to get on my mat.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

that's funny. the size of the fish really does bring to life how much that 30 lbs is, congrats on getting him off your bod!

I have a fantasy of having someone exercise for me, like a proxy (I get the benefits, proxy does work). still some critical details to figure out on that one...
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 120

Height: 5'2"

Fantasy continues with having someone else absorb some of the calories I eat!
peccavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #10  
Body Bugg user

S/C/G: 263/160/140

Height: 5'3.25

True (but I also agree with you that message boards can be a great source of support and keep the motivation up when it lags).
Gretchenpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #11  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primm View Post

Coming to 3FC every day, in itself, won't make the pounds melt away. What it WILL do is provide you with the support and encouragement you need. Seriously, I've tried this weight loss thing over and over again. But it wasn't until I discovered this wonderful community that I started taking appropriate action to get my weight down, and most importantly, NOT let it bounce back up!
You are absolutely right...just came back from a 25 minute power walk...gonna leave now and go do 35 on the Arc Trainer at the gym and then an hour of pilates.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I gain weight when I quit visiting this site! These forums provide so much inspiration for me. I am so motivated by reading what others are doing and especially when everyone posts progress pictures!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

ha ha. That reminds of this time where I decided to make a list of the things I had to pack because I was moving. I started writing down the list and then realized - um...instead of sitting here writing a list, I could actually just PACK the stuff!!

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #14  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelslady View Post
Same here.

I totally disagree with the title of the thread.
I was wondering who the first person would be who didn't read the title properly and took offence!

Quote:
So, yes, this place DOES help me lose weight every day. It is a God send, the best place I have ever found for weight loss support, tips, recipes, exercise help, and challenges.
Absolutely it helps! And I couldn't have got to where I am without 3FC either, which you'd see if you'd read the rest of my post.

The title reads "Coming to 3FC won't MAKE you lose weight". And it won't. You have to do the work as well. But it's right up there with drinking lots of water and reducing your intake as a tool in your weight loss journey.

Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #15  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

I would like to remark that, recently, 3FC messed up on my computer for some bizarre, unknown reason, and then my entire computer shut down and I was completely cut off for a couple of weeks. Without 3FC I seemed to completely lose my way. Now, I totally agree that 3FC doesn't MAKE anybody lose weight, totally agree with the op, but also totally agree with Steelslady, because if it wasn't for you chickies on here I wouldn't know where I was at half the time. I'm so grateful for this tool that we have, each other, that helps to keep us strong.
So thanks.

Last edited by munchievictim; 06-16-2009 at 01:13 AM.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote