Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

As mentioned above, health alone is enough reason. Absolutely.

I also can tell you that real beauty exudes from the inside. You can see beauty and confidence in the way a woman carries herself and carries on with others. It isn't about "the look" that society is pushing this year. It really is so much deeper than that.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #17  

I honestly believe that no matter HOW "ugly" you are, there are people out there who will think you are attractive/hot.

What's more attractive: a hot person who has an obviously salty personality, or a less attractive person who smiles freely? I'll take the latter any day.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

"Why bother"?

(My use of "you" below is not directed at anyone in particular.)

You have a precious human life, a precious human body, and you ask why bother if you're ugly anyway?

To me that is just so messed up!

This is your LIFE. If you are obese, you are risking your life and your happiness!

It's not about being a bikini babe movie star--physical beauty is transient. You will get old, for one thing!

So, how do you want to live your precious human life? Depressed because you're not Angelina Jolie? Sick from a condition you could change? Taking meds all the time? Having limited mobility? Joint problems? Pain?

Everyone has something they can contribute to this world, even if they are not physically beautiful. Why limit yourself by settling for obesity and its problems?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #19  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My Grandma used to always say, "Pretty is what pretty does." I never understood what it meant until I was an adult. In a nut shell it means what many have already said...If you act beautiful, you are beautiful. Period!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

It`s probably all been said: slenderness has so much mor eto offer than just beauty: it`s health, longevity, fitness, then there is clothes. If you don`t feel pretty you can at least wear pretty clothes, and that`s, let`s admit it, so much easier if you wear a small size. And if you have hangups about not having a pretty face, at least you can say that you are not fat. It`s about making the most of yourself, really.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #21  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. My DH has gotten into arguments with guy friends because he does not find Angelina Jolie attractive at all. Yet even at my high weight, he always told me I was beautiful.

I have a good friend who, if I am being honest, is not what "society" considers pretty. On that dreaded 1-10 scale, most people would put her at maybe a 3 based on looks alone. I put her at a 10 because she is the absolute funniest person I have ever met, a good friend, and a good person. Her husband puts her at a 10 on all levels and they are very affectionate and he constantly tells her how beautiful she is.

My point: Social constructs like "ugly" and "pretty" are just labels. And labels are for cans, not people.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #22  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

No matter what we look like. If we just try to be as pretty as we could be, that would be great. Not worry,how pretty we are. Or if we are not as pretty as others. Just as long as as we are as cute as we could be.

Last edited by Tracy; 06-07-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

All we can be is our best! I have not seen ONE Before/After picture where the person met their goal weight and they didn't look better AND happier!

Not all of us can be beautiful but we can all look better AND healthier!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't know, I've seen a few very unflattering after pics where the person looked worse (more haggard, tired, misproportioned, etc) in their after than in their before pic - but that's not the point is it? If only appearance were important, 90% of the population would be useless.

Concepts of beauty are generally based on ideal, almost by definition not average or normal. There's a lot more to life than what you look like to others, or even in the mirror.

I don't consider my husband or I fugly, but if either of us had placed a higher value on appearance, we wouldn't have ever gotten together. Even if you're hideously deformed, there's no reason not to take as much from life as you can. You don't have to be miserable (even if some people try to make you).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #25  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I don't know, I've seen a few very unflattering after pics where the person looked worse (more haggard, tired, misproportioned, etc) in their after than in their before pic - but that's not the point is it?
C.
Oh I don't know, I'd take tired, haggard and mis-proportioned any and every day of the week over what I was before. Not that I look tired, haggard or mis-proportioned - at least I don't think I do.

But no, that isn't the point at all. You are 100% right.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufi View Post
I'm picking this concept up from something someone else mentioned in a thread and thought maybe people would be interested in discussing the thought. The idea that you're unattractive/plain/not beautiful regardless of how much you weigh, so what's the point? Even if you lost the weight, you'd still be Plain Jane. Maybe you used to be thin, so you know from experience you simply aren't in the upper 50 percent of natural looks. I'm not talking an unattractiveness that comes from poor self esteem, although that's certainly a factor for some, but more those who are introduced to blind dates as having "a great personality."
I'm plain. But so is most of the population. So, I just don't see the point.

And, plain and frumpy are different things. What's attractive (at least to someone worth attracting!) is your energy and confidence, being clean and neat, and stylish in whatever your own way is, being interesting and friendly and fun.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #27  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

This is such an interesting thread and discussion.

I've often thought about this...I'm a SMOKIN' hot plus sized chick. I can rock the long hair, highlights, fab makeup and even some stylish-but-expensive bigger clothes. I'm totally fun to be around, rock the cleavage, can turn a few heads now and then. But then I'm afraid I'd be just "average" as a skinny chick. Which would suit me just fine BTW. But sometimes I take the hot-for-a-big-girl thing too seriously as part of my identity.
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufi View Post
I'm picking this concept up from something someone else mentioned in a thread and thought maybe people would be interested in discussing the thought. The idea that you're unattractive/plain/not beautiful regardless of how much you weigh, so what's the point? Even if you lost the weight, you'd still be Plain Jane. Maybe you used to be thin, so you know from experience you simply aren't in the upper 50 percent of natural looks. I'm not talking an unattractiveness that comes from poor self esteem, although that's certainly a factor for some, but more those who are introduced to blind dates as having "a great personality."

I fear I will never be pretty enough, not even when I'm at goal, but I definitely will look better smaller!

At any rate, makeup, the right clothes, a nice, white smile and a warm personality go a long way.

That's not to say I don't have very deep fears. I did used to be attractive, a little chubby (140-150 at 5'3) but attractive. That was a few years ago, before wrinkles, before stretch marks, before a lot of things changed in a very short period of time due to stress, depression, pregnancy, etc. So yes, I do fear that I won't be "pretty enough" when I'm thin. That there won't be "a point" to losing all this weight.

Sigh. I don't know. At least my body will improve.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Nurse View Post
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. My DH has gotten into arguments with guy friends because he does not find Angelina Jolie attractive at all.
Haha. My DH does not like her, either. When he was younger, though, he liked Bridget Fonda. She's not ugly, but she doesn't do anything for me!

Remember when every girl "loved" Benicio del Toro? Oh, man, to me, he looks like a wrinkled, old apple left out in the sun too long. But lots of ladies loved him!
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #30  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleberry View Post
I fear I will never be pretty enough, not even when I'm at goal
pretty enough for your own self do you mean?
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote