Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Some Starbucks sell packets of almonds. Or cheaper alternative is to keep a couple of baggies with portioned out almonds or dried fruit and nuts in your purse. They are the almost perfect hold you over snack... fruit, protein bars can melt or get smashed in your purse, but almonds can stay in there for awhile!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #17  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Today I had a "booster juice" at the mall which is basically a smoothie with fruit and frozen yogurt.

For me this type of thing happens frequently because I don't like to plan my meals all the time--it's just how things work for me.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

When that happens to me, I usually go the the McDonalds and either get a yogurt walnut snack, or if it needs to be more substantial, a hamburger (250 calories).

The other option, like others have mentioned, is to leave. Go home and eat there.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

haha I probably wouldn't even make it till 2pm without a snack knowing me. If I was really stuck I'd split a strawberry slushie bubble tea with pearls! I'm not sure how many calories is in that, but it's something to drink, and something to chew on, and I can't finish one in 30seconds and go looking for something else.

Last edited by aneleh; 05-28-2009 at 07:42 AM.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Honestly - I always know what I'm having for every meal for the entire week by Sunday afternoon, I can't recall ever getting stuck at the mall at mealtime without a healthy option. I know I'm an "over planner" but it really works for me. If I were going to be at the mall for "snack time" I'd have dried mango or a Nectar bar in my purse (they are nearly always in my purse, anyways).

I don't like "I'm hungry, but I dont have a healthy choice options!" so I try to limit it from happening. I'm like Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru - I cheat the test in advance to make sure I always pass.
Exactly, ditto. Eating healthy is too important to me to leave it up in the air. And I'm too much of a worry wart to let that happen. I know myself too well.

Like Glory, this is why I find planning essential. I never, ever want to get caught without the right foods on hand. Letting myself get hungry and then not having the right stuff with me is a recipe for disaster. I need to do my very best to AVOID situations like that.

Anyway...... Malls always (usually, hopefully) have a drug store type place. I would purchase a protein bar and a diet soda and head home and most definitely use this as a learning experience.

I never leave home without something in my bag. I always bring along a bag full of string beans. If there's any chance whatsoever that I'll run late, I then take a long an apple and perhaps a FF/SF frozen yogurt, which I always keep in the freezer - ready to go - just in case. Have I mentioned that I find planning essential?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #21  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Starbucks Tall skinny SF cinnamon dulce latte' with one equal...YUM
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #22  
Doing it.

S/C/G: 208/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Subway veggie with no cheese and light mayo.

But if they didn't have a Subway, then I'd just grab a water and deal with it.
Jeannette311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #23  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Almonds from drugstore or Starbucks. Worst case scenario, burger, plain, and remove the bun. But it's been so long since I had any commercially prepared food I'm afraid the sodium would make me retain 10-15 lbs of water. Really, I plan so far in advance I don't think I could get caught out without anything.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #24  

Starbucks unsweetened latte and one of those little packets of nuts they have at the counter.

They do have fruit, but fruit on an empty stomach when you're hungry could cause a sugar spike and lead to cravings later.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #25  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

If it was 4 pm and I had lunch at noon, I would be starved. So I would eat. I would probably choose the asian fast food and have steamed veggies with meat. Usually they allow you to customize your selection, at least to some degree.
I don't know what "mexican" means in mall food court, we don't have any of those here but I am sure there would be something at least semi-healthy to pick from there as well. I would NOT stone myself for eating something off plan. After 4 hours, I need a MEAL, not a snack.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #26  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I know now to never leave the house without a healthy snack in case of an emergency!!
I plan, maybe not for the whole week but I plan as much as I can, but when random things come up... like a last minute trip to the mall... it's good to know there are options I didn't even think of!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #27  

5 times a week assigned in the night shift. I really hope 1 day I can visit the mall.
Sophia Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #28  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Trader Joe's sells "handfuls" of trail mix & nuts in individual bags. I always have one of these in the bottom of my purse. If I knew I was going shopping, I'd probably also add an apple & figure on picking up a bottle of water. Because I know about shopping. It always runs over to inconvenient times & the food available when one is "mall captive" is invariably lousy. (Another reason to avoid going to malls ...)

Another vote here for going to the drugstore & seeing what kind of unsalted nuts they carried. Dry-roasted peanuts, almonds, maybe walnuts, if you get lucky.

Last edited by saef; 05-31-2009 at 06:02 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #29  
I'm Praying for a Miracle

S/C/G: 232/196/159

Height: 5'6 1/2

there is usually 1 place at the mall who has a salad..
Or Sub place you can get whole wheat with veggies!!!
or just a diet soda or water, if you can hold over..
its not easy.. especially if you are with people and everyone has burgers and fries.. and shakes! lol..
but we have to try just to make good choices!!!
Hang in there. you will do it!
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #30  

Default Find Something Healthy to Eat

I agree that I would seek a shop that carries healthy snacks to calm your hunger. One must learn to resist the many temptations along the road to weight loss.
healthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote