exercising too much preventing weight loss?

• Hi,

I have a dumb question to ask... Some days I have a great cardio workout and other days, I don't (even though I try every day!)

I've been reading some books -- the last several days I've been skimming through "body for life for women" and it seems the author (as well as the original "body for life" author) advocates just doing cardio up to 20 minutes or a half hour and then alternate those days with weight training.

I've noticed quite a lot of success stories in the book (as well as on this forum) in following the guidelines from these "body for life" books.

I currently do about an hour of cardio six days a week and up to an hour and 15 minutes or so of overall body weight training. I'm obviously burning fat here and gaining some muscle, but I'm not doing so good on losing as much weight as of late. (*And yes, I totally understand weight loss can slow down as you gain muscle and/or get closer to your target weight goal ).

From an exercise perspective, is exercising less bring better results than exercising more in order to lose weight and "transform yourself" as the "body for life" book/s advocate?

I'm just wondering if this "body for life" plan would be more effective than what I'm currently doing to lose some weight on the scale

Thanks!

~ tea
  • Hi tea, I read alot that if you create more than a 500 calorie deficit, either with diet or exercise, it can slow your weight loss down. Jillian Michaels says it's more of a concern as we approach the last 10-20 pounds, and when we are very overweight it's ok to burn more calories for more of a deficit, but that's just her opinion.

I think Body For Life recommends HiiT cardio, which is supposed to be better for weight loss, even if it doesn't it might be something for you to try,changing up your routine can help.
  • I believe in moderation. I think going to extremes, whether with restricting food or with overdoing exercise, can be counterproductive.

Too much exercise just breaks down muscle without giving the body time to recover and rebuild. And overly restricting food intake, especially not getting enough protein, makes things worse in this way.

During my first round of weight loss, I found myself feeling really tired after a few months. I was exercising 5-6 days a week, with walking for 30 minutes, cardio level for 30 to 40 minutes, and weights for 20 minutes, alternating body areas every other day. 3FC member Meg suggested that I increase my protein--and so I did, and I felt a lot better.

People want to lose weight fast, so they think if they work harder and restrict more, they will lose faster. IMO it's better to (1) have patience (2) not treat the body like a machine.

Don't worry about letting up a little and making adjustments. You won't be "struck fat"!

Jay
  • I don't have a regular exercise routine, I work hard in my yard and garden and deep clean my house for exercise...that being said I do give my body a break for the 1 to 2 days leading up to weigh day. I weigh on Friday soo on Thursday I usually do book work, catch up on laundry and other things that do not exert a lot of muscle power. I almost always lose at least a pound or 2. However, if I don't take it easy a day or 2 before weigh day, I am usually disappointed on the scale. I don't know if it means anything or not, but in my experience, it's not necessary to work out for hours a day to lose a big chunk of weight.
  • Tea, we're all different and therefore we all need to find what works for each of us - and what doesn't.

I personally was exercising close to 2 hours a day the year I was losing and really didn't experience any slow downs. But that was *me*.

You just might have to do some experimenting till you find the right mix for yourself. And in the meanwhile, I would also revel in the fact that your weight loss has not stopped.
  • Tea - Those books and others here are recommending HIIT which is High Intensity Interval Training. Basically it burns more calories in less time. The author of Body for Life doesn't suggest you take a 20 minute leisurely walk, he suggests you work at various intensities but with a few very high intensity intervals.
  • Quote: IMO it's better to (1) have patience (2) not treat the body like a machine.
    Jay, I second that!