i feel so... failure-ish

• im not sure what is up with me. this week i only lost .8 pounds. when i usually lose 3-4 pounds a week. (i know that .8 is the norm, and 3-4 that i have been getting is freak of nature) However, i cant help but think its becuase of something im doing. yet i just cant bring myself to go to the gym any more then i already do. for example- i said i was going to go today.. i wanted to go..b ut all day it was raining and crappy and i just felt so exhausted and couldnt bring myself to get out of bed. ALL DAY. and ive been feeling like this more and more, and i dont understand.

i want to lose the rest of this weight and i want to get to goal, but i feel so... lazy or something. ive been going ot the gym 3-4 times usually, and i cant help but think, if i go 6 or 7 times maybe ill lose more then .8 pounds.

not to mention everytime i get on the scale its nothing good. also.. ive noticed that when i first get on the scale and see 186.8! i cant believe i weigh that little and im so excited to keep going.. but then three days later i weigh myself the same time of day, in the morning.. ect. and now it says 188.8. i know the scale fluctuates. but i feel im sabotaging myself somehow. and even though i felt so good about my 186 before.. the longer i stay at 186 the worse it feels.

idk what is wrong with me.. this whole thing is just.... really bumming me out. and i think that could have part to do with why i want to lay in bed all day - i like its just not worth it and ill never get there. but im not even sure.

• First, scale fluctuations are NORMAL! Maddening, but NORMAL! You can't let them get to you. I keep averages in Excel which really helps me see the bigger picture. When the weekly average goes up, I can see that my overall trend is downward.

Next, you are right. 3-4 lbs per week is very fast. When I had weeks that were like that, the next week or two were usually little or no loss (sometimes even a gain).

Finally - regarding exercise. If the gym isn't working for you, find something else for a while. When you get in a "funk", there is nothing worse than giving up your exercise. When you work out, endorphins are released in your brain, and they lift your mood.

I made a rule for myself. I could pick WHAT I did to exercise, but not IF I exercised. No excuses. Sometimes it was only some yoga, sometimes a walk. Other days it was an intense weight routine, or maybe Walk Away the Pounds or a dance DVD.

No need to overdo your workouts, but definitely mix things up a bit. And again - weight fluctuations are NORMAL!

So, pick yourself up, and get movin' chickie
  • Don't Negate the positive!
    Quote: im not sure what is up with me. this week i only lost .8 pounds. when i usually lose 3-4 pounds a week. (i know that .8 is the norm, and 3-4 that i have been getting is freak of nature) However, i cant help but think its becuase of something im doing.
    Your post says it all! You are being harsh with yourself so you feel down. First you have positive- You lost .8 lb!! Yippie!! You need to celebrate- when you say things like I lost but you are setting yourself up for negative self talk which can undermine your weight loss efforts! You need to focus on the positive!

Perhaps make a list of all the positive things you did do this week! You stay on plan and you will lose weight. You didn't gain over night so give it some time- Weight loss is a weird creature.... I know!

YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • Maybe try changing up what you do at the gym? Or even leave those scales alone for a few weeks. It sounds like you've been super successful on the whole, and .8 is nothing to be sneezed at!
  • .8 in a week, that's still great! The important thing to remember that it's going down, even if it is a little slower than you're used to. Try not to be so hard on yourself - you're doing the best you can! You're eating well and getting lots of exercise in - it really is doing your body good on the inside!

Do you take your measurements? Sometimes they can change if they scale doesn't... maybe try and take those every couple of weeks to give you an added boost? I bet all those hours in the gym is paying off in ways you haven't even realised!

Hang in there, you're doing great!
  • Don't let that scale define you! It is Revel in your accomplishments, knowing that they are not always matched on the scale!!
  • If normal fluctuations on the scale have such a huge effect on your attitude, you might want to try weighing yourself less frequently, maybe every week or every other week. And remember, you control your weight, your weight doesn't control you!
  • If you are staying in bed all day, perhaps you are depressed. Have a talk with your doctor. And losing 3-4 pounds a week is very unhealthy.
  • im not depressed. im just tired. and im losing 3-4 pounds per week in a healthy way. im exercising and eating 1500 calories a day... soooo i cant really help it if 4 pounds comes off, i dont necessarily think thats un healthy? also, thanks guys, i know the scale fluctuations are normal - its just frustrating is all.
  • Just ditch the scales and weigh in only ONCE a week. This will give you enough info to sort out your weight loss trends. This WILL give you peace of mind, because your weight will fluctuate from day to day, from hour to hour, and depends on alot of factors that you can't control. So if you can't control them, why stress about it? Stay on your plan, ditch the scales, weigh in once a week, and be patient for the next while. Graph your weight, too, because then you will see trends that may be new to you. I used to lose steadily until I hit around 190lbs, then I found that I lost in a 4-week cycle. So I don't stress about it.

You are doing GREAT!

Kira
  • Aw, come on over here...lemme give ya a hug ((((((((((hug))))))))))

Now buck up, like my dad used to say. You've lost 36 freakin' pounds! Come on, girlfriend, that is totally awesome. If I lost that, I'd almost be at goal...I'M JEALOUS!

Every day cannot be a glory day for you, but never forget the fact that you are a wonderful person with a fim goal in mind and do not let anything derail your train...you will lose the rest of the weight if you just keep on going. I know you will.

Above all, be kind to yourself. Forgive yourself. If you're tired and discouraged, that's ok, but just don't turn it inwards and think you need to make yourself "pay" for not losing more weight. You've done remarkably well, so keep up the fantastic work!
  • Hey chickie I agree - kick the scale monkey! Don't let it become an addiction. It's controlling how you feel and no one or THING esp should control how you feel. It's hard, but I know from experience you will feel better. I also love the idea of shaking up your exercise routine. But if you are feeling abnormally tired check into physical possibilities - hormonal imbalances and thyroid mis-functioning can wreak havoc! Also do you have any history of asthma? Esp during allergy season here in the states you might be feeling like you are breathing okay, but actually breathing at 50% or less - so your body stops getting the oxygen it needs. Just some thoughts. You're doing great! Maybe you just need to enjoy a little more and worry about goal a little less. Just a little though ;-)!