Did you get a jump start with Lean Cuisines or WW meals?

• Has anyone jump started their weight loss by using Lean Cuisines or Weight Watchers frozen meals?

I know they're expensive and loaded with salt and preservatives, but it seems like it would be a somewhat easy way to control portions, count calories, etc.

I'm not at all an imaginative cook, and can never think up anything "healthy" to make for supper. Plus, it always throws me off when I'm trying to calorie count and make some type of dish that is impossible to figure. Trips my perfectionist meter and causes me to throw in the towel when I can't have "correct data".
  • I love cooking too much! But I do use them sometimes when I know it's going to be a really busy week. I like having something that's already portioned out and calorie-counted for me.
  • Lean Cuisines were a major part of my weight loss strategy. I really needed to know what I was getting every meal, I'm not much of a cook (I don't really like it), and LC's are pretty balanced.

I supplemented them with vegetables and other foods, however, and I didn't eat them every meal. They are a bit low on protein for me.

Jay
  • Quote: Has anyone jump started their weight loss by using Lean Cuisines or Weight Watchers frozen meals?

I know they're expensive and loaded with salt and preservatives, but it seems like it would be a somewhat easy way to control portions, count calories, etc.

I'm not at all an imaginative cook, and can never think up anything "healthy" to make for supper. Plus, it always throws me off when I'm trying to calorie count and make some type of dish that is impossible to figure. Trips my perfectionist meter and causes me to throw in the towel when I can't have "correct data".
    I did, and I mixed with tons of vetggies and salad and of course snacks, and fruit. I still today if I find my weght up a few pounds go back to them and in a few days I find my weight back to normal. Check your local supermarkets several of them offer then on sale and it comes out to abut 1.88 each when they do that I stock up so much it looks like that is all that is in my freezer LOL Than again if you think about it when you buy them on sale even with veggies or salad you are still eating for about 4.00 a meal. I have gotten very good at buying these and yogurt only when on sale and stocking up. Good Luck
  • Compared to other stuff I don't think lean cuisines are that loaded in salt. They are probably higher than if you made the food at home, but still not as high as a fast food meal (no where NEAR as high).

I don't use it to jump start, I use it as part of my daily life. I eat lean cuisines for lunch a few times a week. Now I don't only eat the lean cuisine, I also eat some fruit with my lunch or a small salad on the side. Something so that my lunch is closer to 500 calories and not the 260-330 calories a typical lean cuisine has- that's too little calories for me.
  • I used to eat them all the time. I love their pizzas. I'm trying to cut down on the processed and white rice/pasta foods, but do still eat them when I don't feel like cooking. The new Healthy Choice ones are pretty good too.

To be honest though, I think my weight goes down faster when I'm eating more fresh vegetables and protein.
  • I love the chicken picatta and the butternut squash ravioli. Maybe I'm just weird, but to me, they are a treat. I guess being brought up in the 80s, I view any "TV dinner" as a treat or a once in a while thing.
  • On other boards I've been on, people seemed to think it was a terrible idea to do Lean Cuisines--and here are people who use them regularly. That's pretty heartening, as I need to know how many calories, etc. when I'm trying to track. It also prevents the "I have no idea what to make for supper" problem, which happens to me a lot, and then I end up making and eating any ol' thing.

For those who use the frozen meals frequently, can you please give me ideas of what you might add to make a complete meal?

Somewhere, and I don't remember where it was, I read about an eating plan where you'd eat a Lean Cuisine for both lunch and supper. I can see where this could possibly work.
  • Quote: On other boards I've been on, people seemed to think it was a terrible idea to do Lean Cuisines--and here are people who use them regularly. That's pretty heartening, as I need to know how many calories, etc. when I'm trying to track. It also prevents the "I have no idea what to make for supper" problem, which happens to me a lot, and then I end up making and eating any ol' thing.

For those who use the frozen meals frequently, can you please give me ideas of what you might add to make a complete meal?

Somewhere, and I don't remember where it was, I read about an eating plan where you'd eat a Lean Cuisine for both lunch and supper. I can see where this could possibly work.

I have taken some of the chicken and rice dishes and cooked them at home and then brought a big salad to work with me (I mean BIG with lettuce, peppers mushrooms and than just put the cold cooked lean cusine on top the sauce provides the dressing so I would save on the calories there and I would add some crushed red pepper to the salad as well for more of a kick. If I eat them hot I would always have a side salad and them bulk up the veggies that are already in them. I keep a very well stocked freezer of all different frozen veggies, this way I have what I need when I need it and things do not go bad.
  • i love LCs! i ususally eat the chicken club panini sandwich(which is so awesome)..for lunch i'll have it with an apple/banana and a small side salad with low cal dressing..dinner ill do something similar..adding a small salad with a piece of fruit, or some steamed veggies, and youre set! another thing i have discovered is green giant steamers..theyre veggies that steam right in the bag in the microwave..it couldnt be easier and they have deliciuos options like broccoli or cauliflower with cheese sauce..i love em.
  • Whatever works for you. For me personally, I hate frozen meals so it wouldn't work for me.

What I do though is create big batches of healthy food and portion it out into glass containers to heat for lunch.