Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/217/215 by Halloween!

Default Seein Changes everywhere... but the scle is not budging...

Since the last time I posted here I cut almost all processed food out of my diet. I say almost because I'm not perfect and I admit it.

I'm seeing chnages in every part of my body. My clothes fit differently, I've lost some inches. )Mostly in the bust and arms, some in my legs.)

I don't own a scale. Tonight I was at my friend's house and I weighted myself. (I was at his house two weeks ago and I weighed myself then too.) I was expecting to see a loss, even if only a pound or two. But I've gained two pounds. I'm not as upset about that as I could be... it is late in the day after all.

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. By this, I mean seeing physical changes, but not any real weight loss?
PriestessCynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #2  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

were you weighing yourself at the same time of the day at your friend's house? Your weight can fluctuate significantly through the day due to water retention etc. were your clothes similar? Don't give up. Keep at it but start writing down the food that you eat-it will keep you honest
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #3  

I'm already honest. (I don't know why everyone assumes I'm not.) I do write down what I eat.

Last time I weighed myself there it was really late at night (around 2AM.) Tonight was around 6PM. My clothes were pretty similar. I had jeans and a t-shirt on last time and today I had a t-shirt and cords.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I've experienced these changes, but only when I've been really upping my exercise and watching what I eat. Like, if I eat X calories, then keep with X calories but super-exercise for a week, I'll go up in water weight but see a difference in the way my clothes fit.

I've also had minor ups and stalls due to my monthly cycle and water retention and the like, but as for just going up in pounds and being smaller without reason? No...

I think that writing down exactly what you are eating is really important. I used to think I was eating perfectly and why wasn't I LOSING because I was being so GOOD and no one BELIEVES me. But I really was fooling myself and I found this out when I started logging in everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that I put into my body. So I'm glad to hear that you are doing this.

Hope this helps!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-04-2009 at 09:23 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Well for me, I've only lost 6 lbs in the last 3 1/2 months, but at the same time I've lost nearly three dress sizes!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #6  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriestessCynder View Post
Last time I weighed myself there it was really late at night (around 2AM.) Tonight was around 6PM. My clothes were pretty similar. I had jeans and a t-shirt on last time and today I had a t-shirt and cords.
I wouldn't be too concerned. Sounds like the times were pretty far off.

The scale is really just a magic number machine for me. The scale at my boyfriend's house shows a different weight from the scale at work from my scale at home. It's good at tracking changes, but I wouldn't trust a trend over two weeks at different times of day. Consistency!

Furthermore, my scale at home can be down (or up!) as much as a pound after I take a shower or walk around the house doing chores for 5 minutes. I'll usually weigh a couple of times in the morning while I'm getting ready for work and write down the lowest one I've seen. Others take the average.

A basic scale at Walmart is fairly cheap. I *highly* recommend you run over there and grab one. It'll be worth it's cost in motivation.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Good for you for writing down what you eat! Now, the next step is, figuring out how much that is in calories. (You didn't say you were doing that, so I'm thinking you aren't.)

If you post a typical day's food here, maybe some members can figure it out and make some suggestions.

By the way, how long ago was it that you last posted before this? In other words, how long have you been tracking?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Rocketbunny... treat yourself to a scale. Some people weigh in every day... I prefer to weigh in once a week, first thing in the morning. Then there's no guessing about accuracy.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

Last edited by kellygram; 06-05-2009 at 11:17 PM.
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

I think it could have still been the clothes and water weight. my weight can go between 1-2 lbs morning vs night in the same day due to water retention or release so its just hard to say, but if things are fitting looser you must be losing weight sometimes it just takes the scale awhile to budge. Also if you are drinking more water your body will store the extra water for a day sometimes -- so imagine all that water must add weight right? Soon as your body expells it you'll see your real weight. I hope you can get a scale soon! I recommend weighing in every day/every other day.
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #10  

What I eat in a typical work day:

In the morning before I leave for work I have 1 cup of cereal and 2% milk. It's usually either Life or special K or Khashi. Khashi has the fewest calories, but it doesn't keeo me full that long. Life has the most calories, and I usually stay good and full for four hours or so.

Usually around 11:00 I have an apple.

Around 1:30 or so I have a bag of chopped vaegetables. celery sticks, 12 baby carrots, and 12 cherry tomatoes.

At 4:00 I have an orange.

Around 6 I eat dinner. And for the passed month I've had the same thing for dinner about 5 nights a week. Brown rice with Mushrooms, Pea pods, brocoli, colliflower, asparigas, and salmon. I use low fat balsamic vinigrette dressing for the sauce.

Later on in the evening if I get hungry I usually eat vedgetables, sometimes fruit.

On the weeksends things are different. Like today, for example. I had an orange at 10am and I just had some rice and vedgetables an hour ago. (it's 3pm) Later on tonight I have a film shoot, so it's hard telling what I'll be eating. But it's not like I pig out and gorge myself when we have shoots. It depends on where we get food from. If they go to McDonnals, 2 snack wraps. Burger King, 1 vedgie burger. Wendy's, Manderin Chicken salad. The local gas station, small bag of Baked Lays and a PowerBar. I know you guys will scold me for this. But when we have shoots (every other weekend) I can't expect everyone to change the place they go for food just to accomidate me. We usually send one person out for food. So I try to keep it as healthy as possible. I know a little bit of fast food every other weekend isn't reeking havoc on my diet.

And, as for excercise, what I do depends on how I feel. If I'm tired and sluggish that day I do yoga. If I have a lot of energy, I run for 1/2 hour. If I'm kind of in the middle that day I walk my dog for 45 minutes or so.

What I'm doing seems to be working so far. This isn't a huge complaint. I just wish the scale would move the right direction, even if the measuring tape is.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi

on cutting out almost all processed food. Thats huge!!

If you're loosing inches and your clothes are baggy that's very important!! Don't discount it.

Your post reminded me not to do something-step on someone elses scale. I use my scale at home, because I know its accurate, and I always weigh at the same time of day. I've stepped on a scale at my club that will have a 6 pound variation if I step on it 2 or 3 times in a row. My scale is WW recommended and wasn't expensive.

I think you are replacing fat with healthier denser body mass which is GREAT and won't show on the scale as fast.

If you are seeing changes in all parts of your body you are probably on the right track!

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #12  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

You really do need your own scale because it is absolutely wothless unless you are weighing your self similarly clad at the same time of day on a regular basis. And even THEN, too much salty food can mask a true weight loss. At best you only want to lose 2 lbs or so so a week: any more than that isn't healthy (unless it's early days and you are losing a lot of water).

Heck, I gain and lose 2-3 lbs throughout the day--it's awful. So, I may be weighing myself, but, for me, it doesn't count until the weigh-in Monday morning in my jammies.

hth.

And congrats on changing your eating habits! That's awesome. Good for you.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 06-06-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote