Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #16  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I would eat before I go to be sure that I did not give in because of hunger pains. Then if I needed to pick at the food and throw it away, I would not worry about it. You are not a human garbage disposal.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Good topic, I've been in the situation before and it's great to read how you all handle it. I also think it's great how you all have the mind set it's ok to waste food- that's a mindset I have to change.

I wonder what if you are really hungry, is it better to eat a little something you shouldn't or wait till you can get something healthier? Like I try to eat 3 meals a day with 2 snacks...what if I didn't have a chance to eat before hand? Or should I stock some healthy snack in my purse to tide me over till I can get a healthy meal?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #18  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

ringmaster, I think that nuts and seeds were designed to fill that function - I can keep a ziploc bag of almonds in my desk (10 almonds = 71 calories) for weeks. They're small, portable, don't mind some time in the hot weather, and have the combination of protein, fiber and good fats to be very satisfying in tiny amounts. mmmm!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #19  
No description available.

Eat before, make the best choices you can, have no guilt about throwing away stuff you won't eat.

What is waste? I was at an obesity presentation a few weeks ago and the speaker said that obese people have a shorter life span by about 7-10 years compared to their "normal" weight counterparts. Losing 7 to 10 years is a far greater waste than throwing away some banquet food.

Last edited by midwife; 04-22-2009 at 10:14 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #20  

Height: 5'11"

I, too, am in a situation where not eating food can be damaging to my career/professional connections (I work in the restaurant industry, and there's no surer way to p*ss off a chef then by refusing to eat their food). I'm calorie counting, so I just plan my week in advance and acknowledge that I'm going to eat X calories on that day and then Y the rest of the days. I find that if I work on a weekly schedule, rather than a daily schedule, I'm happier and more satisfied each and every day. So I have an average number of calories to eat daily and divide them throughout the week, not going below 1200 calories any day, and eating Z calories on average each day. I'm not losing tons of weight fast, but I'm doing what I have to in order to survive (and thrive in) the rest of my life
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I don't eat meat, dairy, and a few other things so vegetarian options probably wouldn't cover my diet needs. So, if it is an event where I simply cannot bring something to share with people, then I would eat before and hope for a salad option. I don't like making a fuss about my needs anyhow. I'll stick with ice cold water or whatever, but you could have a handy snack in your purse that you can whip out later when no one is looking!

Last edited by Jacquie668; 04-22-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #22  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

TheWalrus and I take a similar approach and it works very nicely. Plan! Save up a few extra calories for the event. A nice little trick I learned from my old days at WW. "Optional calories and floater" I don't want to sit there and stare at a plate of food while everyone around is enjoying a nice dinner, therefore I plan. Most times I know at least a week in advance that I'm to attend a special event. *USUALLY* I know what is going to be served, you can almost always find out in advance. If necessary, use the excuse of allergies or food intolerances...lie or what ever works to find out if you don't want to tell the world that you are trying to eat healthfully. Last night it was the wrestling club hamburger feed, last week it was the cub scouts lasagna supper, last month it was the firemen's soup supper...I planed for each so that I could eat with my family/friends without sticking out like a sore thumb. I knew last night I was going to be served a hamburger, so I made sure I had enough calories for a 4 oz (average cooked patty) burger w/bun and a couple extra 100 for a possible side dish. I stuck an apple and a yogurt in my car. Well, there were chips and cookies to go with the hamburger, so I just ate the burger and on the way home I ate my apple, and I had the yogurt as a snack before bed. I ate, socialized, didn't embarrass my son and felt good.

Planning is the key. I've never been in the dark about what was going to be served except once, but still was able to enjoy *some* food and gave the rest to my 16 year old son who is a slim bottomless pit.

Plan!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 04-22-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #23  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Great responses. All work for one or another.

The food not eaten is going to the dumpster anyway....so really no waste.

In these situations I would plan the best I could ahead of time if possible, as in eating a something healthy before as mentioned. Then just deal with it the best I could with what there is offered.

I totally agree with the no-cheating responses but I also know that there are going to be many-many days to make up for those few extra calories taken in.

If it's me... I'm going to go...eat...enjoy the time with my kid and, if I have to...take on an extra mile tomorrow.

SO~ How was the banquet?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #24  
the skies way bigger.

S/C/G: 66/61/50

Height: 5'3"

I'd eat REALLY REALLY slowly. And talk a lot. Then people will think I'm eating more than I actually am! Haha!
lixximajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixximajig View Post
I'd eat REALLY REALLY slowly. And talk a lot. Then people will think I'm eating more than I actually am! Haha!
yes, the old eat slowly..,,and take small bites trick so when everyone is finished you are only half finished and can just stop because everyone else has.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

Height: 5'11"

I had a similar situation a couple of days ago and can only reiterate what everyone is saying about not feeling obliged to eat. It is better to be healthy than to eat garbage. Still, I know how you feel but it does get easier.

Instead, eat your 'real' meal ahead of time but cut it down by say a hundred calories. Then when you get to the hosted dinner, eat enough to be polite but not all of it. This saved me! The meal I was supposed to eat was chicken in a mushroom and cream sauce with pasta and green beans. It was heavy on the grease and tasted awful. I ate the green beans (which were acceptable) and a few bites of the chicken.

Nobody asked why I didn't finish my meal but I had already decided to say I was recovering from a stomach bug. There were more than a few people who didn't finish, so I suppose I was in good company!

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Honestly, I agree with the others... you can bring your own food, or just ask for sparkling water or a diet soda or something or choose not to eat at all.

You may not always get to "choose" your food, but you definitely always can choose what you put in your mouth!!

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote