Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
It's been a wonderful change for all of us. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't do this sooner. What a poor example I set for my children. But no more dwelling. I am thrilled that I finally DID make the change.

We are all eating beautifully - at home of course. My kids are all older and I don't control what goes into their mouths when away from home. For that matter when they ARE home as well. But this healthy way of life has made them even more aware and mindful of things they eat even while away from home. Yay!!!

I remember when I first started this. How was I going to get my 3 teenagers on board with the healthy eating? But I did and they are. They too love all the veggies, fruits, salads, beans, fish, wonderful chicken dishes, spices, etc., that they're now eating. The variety boggles even their minds.
That makes me so happy. It's so sad not to grow up with really healthy food, because fixing that relationship as an adult is such a battle for so many of us.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
That makes me so happy. It's so sad not to grow up with really healthy food, because fixing that relationship as an adult is such a battle for so many of us.
My kids are not overweight. Oddly enough as poorly as I ate, I never fed my family that way. As my kids were growing up, DH & I didn't eat dinner with them. He came home real late from work, so I waited for him, had a completely different dinner. I always gave my kids fairly healthy fare, although it has definitely improved.

I think it is a gift to teach kids how to eat properly. I'll even go stronger then that - I think it's a parent's responsibility to do so. A responsibility that I didn't take seriously enough and I slacked on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I think it is a gift to teach kids how to eat properly. I'll even go stronger then that - I think it's a parent's responsibility to do so. A responsibility that I didn't take seriously enough and I slacked on.
You took what I was trying to say and said it better.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #19  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well my sister and I definitely eat very healthy now. So much healthier I'm sure my mom will be shocked when she returns from the middle east lol.

My husband he's slowly getting on board- he's definitely eating more fruits for snacks vs. bags of chips and candy. I don't even buy chips for myself or anything- but he'll sneak in a bag here and here- thank goodness he likes bbq chips and I don't! lol.

I'm trying to get him to eat more veggies- slowly but surely he's coming around.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'-8"

Before my children take a bite of anything now they ask does this have sugar. Not because they want to lose weight or because they enjoy less sugar. Because if it has not sugar they have no intention of eating it. I wish they were more open-minded but hey if I was rail-thin and could eat anything and as much as I want I would do it too. I have been able to lessen their sugar intake and get more veggies in them but I still have to cook 2 meals every night. I really do not mind because when I cook for myself it is completely portitoned controlled and it is up to me what I make. My husband has however lost more weight than me in the last 7 weeks I have been dieting. Which is frustrating because I eat better and less and have been exercising like crazy!!!!!
sweetandspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

My family has always eaten pretty healthy but there are ways now that I am doing it much better. We LOVE the whole wheat pastas, they are much more filling. I love the oatmeal bread, I cook with a whole lot more olive oil, I only have smart balance in the fridge for toast and such. I bake sweet potatoes a lot and LOVE sweet potato fries. Turkey chili is awesome as are many things made with turkey. We have always eaten a lot of fruits and veggies so that is no change. BUT...one big thing happened a couple of days ago. I made a Holy Cow cake for my husbands birthday and after the celebration he said he was taking the rest to work the next day because none of us needed it and the one piece was delicious! I am proud of how he is trying to make the journey easier for me in ways such a that!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #22  
sugar is the devil

Since I started to eat healthy and request my parents to buy foods for me, they have taken up healthy eating too. They always says that because Caitlin is eating this way, it made us want to too and lose weight.

My boyfriend used to go to fast food restaurants 24/7 and hardly make his own meals. He still goes to fast food, but not as much. And now he's making LOTS at home. We like to make meals together and he's into eating healthy with me too.

It's all worked out for me
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

My diet's influenced my family somewhat... they like the fish dishes I cook for them on occasion!!

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I've gotten my family to eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread,(most of the time at least) etc. instead of the usual white alternatives- and the funny thing is that they're always saying how they like the healthier versions better now. I've got them on skim (instead of 2%) milk, lowfat cheeses and yogurts, etc. They absolutely LOVE the turkey chili and turkey spaghetti that I make (yum) and say that they honestly prefer it to the greasy ground-beef alternative. I've noticed a few of my family members taking smaller portions and consciously trying to eat more healthy things. They still eat tons of junk, but there have been definite improvements, and I'm hoping that I can eventually convince them even further to eat healthier...
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #25  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

We've always been homebodies - my husband is such an incredible cook that we only go out due to lack of time, and even if we go to a fine restaurant for a celebration, we end up agreeing that he could make the dish better. Lucky me ... except that he's no-holds-barred with sugar and fat. I've gotten him to cut back on both, and what we've all noticed is that we're eating slower and eating less, and neither of us has had heartburn since I started re-training myself. We've learned techniques like toasting flour to achieve the same thing that a good roux does (thanks, Paul Prudhomme!) - I'd bet that that alone saves a stick of butter every two weeks.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
We've learned techniques like toasting flour to achieve the same thing that a good roux does (thanks, Paul Prudhomme!) - I'd bet that that alone saves a stick of butter every two weeks.
Do you mean toast it dry in a pan?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

My husband's always been a healthy weight and a moderate eater, so it's more like a slight change of him getting to enjoy some new dishes and new mutual food experiences.

My mother, however, lives 600+ miles away but has lost 25 lbs since seeing me over the holidays. She says I inspired her. I was actually trying to keep it quiet but she noticed my portions and choices. I'm kind of secretive and private in real life, but my mom is discreet and I'm so glad for her that she was able to lower her BP, get off some meds and feel better. She seems really dedicated, too. The other day I called her and we had a whole conversation about lentils, ha.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #28  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Tee hee today I made fiber one pancakes and my hubby was like 'wow babe those were good pancakes, best you've ever made' and I just smiled
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #29  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

The only real change self-motivated change that I've noticed is that my kids are reading nutrition labels more closely. What they are getting from that, other than awareness, I'm not really sure though LOL they're only 7 and 10. They are both very slim and I've always taught them the difference between healthy and unhealthy choices (it was only *me* not making healthy choices for myself).

The one change I've made *for* them is giving them much *larger* portions at dinner. I make them a much bigger salad than I used to, and I give them more of the chicken or pork or what-have-you. The reason for this is that they used to always be hungry still when they were done with the food on their plates, and then get up to have a yogurt (170 cal) and then maybe even something else when they were done with that -- so, at least 250 cal beyond what I was serving them for dinner. By giving them larger portions, they are eating more of the healthy food that I prepare and thus, they're better off.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I live pretty far from my mom, but we talk on the phone usually once a week. She started losing weight about 4 months after I did. I'm in my 80+ pounds lost, and she's in her 40+ pounds lost. I'm so proud.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote