Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #31  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I see that you're saying the points system is different where you live... maybe so, I don't know. If those were U.S. WW points, you would not be eating enough. Is there anywhere else where you live, or on the web, where you could get more information about WW there? Go to a different meeting?

I hope you figure it out! I think people have made lots of suggestions here, but mostly I'm hearing "no" on your end.

Jay

I know Jay, and I'm sorry. I hope it comes more across that I am frustrated and that's all, it's not that I'm not willing to do something different, I am - I know I am stubborn as well, so I apologise for sounding like I'm just saying no.

I did a little test on sparkpeople once - I plugged in all of my WW foods (most of which I had to enter manually with all of the nutritional info to get the numbers right) and when on plan, I was even over on calories if I were to go by what sparkpeople recommended to lose weight. It wasn't much, but it was over, and that was several OP days that I tested.

I've been doing Dutch WW for 10 years now - you would think I wouldn't be *****ing and moaning like I have been (and the program's changed like 4 times!) - I go to the only meeting I can actually make it to because of my schedule, and I also pay for an online subscription so that I can log and look up points and calculate for recipes and the like. I would be happy to share what i had today for example (and I'm at 23 points), but I am not sure if you guys have lost your patience with me or not yet.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #32  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

motivation is everything. Excuses and self pity leads to failure!!
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #33  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

thanks. that helps
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #34  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You might get better feedback over in the 3FC Weight Watchers forum? In that, they might be able to analyze what you're eating better?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

But if you want to list your foods here, we might be able to do a calorie calculation if you wanted that.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #35  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

thanks Jay. I'll do that.

I am sorry for the negativity here. I really just need some help, support and understanding to start. Appreciate the responses.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #36  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Reviewing salient points of discussion so far:

-- You've been on Dutch WW for 10 years now.
-- You're the same weight now as you were 4 years ago.
-- You're not losing weight at a rate that satisfies you.
-- You are constantly feeling hungry and deprived on your current eating pattern.
-- You're eating in the range of 2300 calories per day (assuming 1 Dutch WW point is around 100 calories).
-- You don't count fruit points, and if you are not careful with fruit you tend toward blowing a whole day's deficit on it.
-- Chocolate is a major trigger food for you.
-- Bread is also an overeating trigger food, and you can't get full on it.

I recommend you change your plan toward something like South Beach instead of WW. WW is not working for you; you are carb-intolerant and perhaps insulin-resistant and would probably benefit from a plan that focuses much more on lean protein, good fats, whole-food carbs, and limiting fruit and grains. Eventually if/when you improve insulin sensitivity, you may find that grains and fruits are not such a problem for you; then again, they may always be, as they are for lots of people.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #37  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velveteen View Post
I already have very little social life and I am a social person. I NEED something; going out 2x a month should be possible, no? Am I not supposed to travel anymore or do anything I enjoy? Because I still don't see how I can be POP and go places where not all food around me is in my control. And now it seems like I can only be successful now if I am POP.
Quote:

But I am miserable! I'm miserable fat and I'm miserable when I'm POP.
For me steady consistent weight loss could not occur until the desire to be fit, trim, slim and healthy outweighed the desire for the food. Because yes, restriction is required. You simply can't eat what you want AND lose the weight. So when my desire to be slim OUTWEIGHED the desire for the food, my desire for "those" foods greatly decreased. I knew that each and every time I said no to one of "those" foods, I was one step closer to losing the weight and becoming that fit, trim & slender person.

I also never looked at passing up on "those foods" as deprivation. I looked at remaining overweight as deprivation. I was depriving myself of the best life possible. I was depriving myself of fulfilling my hopes and dreams and greatest desires.

You also mention that you are miserable while on plan and while off plan. I would say to you - choose your "miserable". At least the "miserable" of being on plan will provide you with something valuable - a healthy, slimmer, happier, more productive and energetic person.

But then of course I would change the word miserable and make staying on plan - PLEASANT. And enjoyable. And satisfying. You've got to stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop focusing on what you can't have and start focusing on what you CAN have. Find on plan foods that are DELICIOUS and tasty and enjoyable for you. If you do this, then staying on plan will be waaaay less "miserable". Might I dare to say it may even become enjoyable and likable. Believe me, I am a food lover. Without a doubt more so now then when I was morbidly obese. I thoroughly enjoy each and every precious on plan calorie that goes into my mouth. I am eating fabulous foods, that no one would know or at least care, that they are "diet" friendly. All incredibly scrumptious, yet incredibly healthy and lower calorie.

And of course you can go out. But yes, some control IS required. But going out doesn't mean going off plan. Be choosier. There's grilled chicken and fish. There's salads. There's soup. There's veggies. There's diet soda and seltzer. Going out and socializing and having a good time is NOT dependent on eating high calorie foods.

And quite frankly, I agree with War Maiden, I'm not sure if WW is the "right" plan for you.

With a little tweaking of your plan and a little tweaking of your mind frame, you most certainly CAN lose weight, keep it off, socialize and be extremely content and satisfied.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #38  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

War Maiden, thanks for your post. I will look at south beach. I already limit my bread and tend towards more protein, but perhaps the fruit and vegetables I eat are just too much sugar and carbs. The reason I do WW is because I have a hard time with set meals that I have to follow to the "t". I am also a wee bit lactose intolerant but to be honest I really know nothing about SBC so I can't judge.

Robin, thank you for your words and insight. Honestly you and a few others have made me cry and that is mostly because I know how right you are. I need to quit whining and make the decision to do it and do it 100% and if not 100% then I have to accept the consequences! So anyway, thank you very much.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #39  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Velveteen, first: :hugs:

There's a lot of collective wisdom here, and you might want to seriously consider WarMaiden's post - that WW is not right for your nutritional type. I couldn't lose a pound on it - for me, the low-fat emphasis was total misery. A possible reference for you would be to look at Dr. Mercola's studies on nutritional typing; I found it fascinating. The problem could easily not be you - it could be your plan. Hang in there! When you find the right way to eat, like Robin says, it will be infinitely easier because you will feel wonderful when you stick to it.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #40  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
The reason I do WW is because I have a hard time with set meals that I have to follow to the "t". I am also a wee bit lactose intolerant but to be honest I really know nothing about SBC so I can't judge.
Velveteen, you also seem to have a hard time with unset meals. I don't believe South Beach is about set meals though. I think WW just may be too "wide open" for you.

Anyway, I am a calorie counter, one who sets her own meals. But, I just don't count any calories. I have to make my calories count and work for me. My calories need to provide me with fullness, satisfaction, volume, nutrition and they have to be calories that STAVE off cravings. Which means what I'm not eating is just as important as what I am eating.

For years, I'd heard that eliminating the "white stuff" (the starch-y carbs & sugar) was the way to lose weight. And I figured I'm doomed. Doomed. Cause' there's no way on earth I'd survive eliminating my very favorite foods - bread, pasta, rice, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc... But after getting fed up enough, after being miserable enough, after wanting so badly enough to be fit, trim and slender, I figured I had best give it a go. And boy am I glad I finally did. Eliminating the foods I loved best (very strict in the beginning, knew I could most likely add some of them back in certain circumstances down the road) WAS the way to go. It took the descision making process away - "should I , shouldn't I?" - and lo and behold my cravings and wants for them greatly, greatly diminished.

And of course by eliminating so many of these foods, it freed me up to seek out and find new and delicious and healthy foods that I now crave and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoy. Because in the end I was willing to give up the carb-y stuffs, but I absolutely was not and will never be able to give up delicious foods.

You do have to give it some time though. Your tastes, your thoughts, your habits will not change overnight. It is a process. One that you must be committed to.

I say do it! Do it!!! What are you waiting for? Another month. 6 months? A year, more? How much more of your life are you willing to spend not being the person you were meant to be? How much longer are you going to spend wishing and hoping and dying to be fit and healthy? How much longer are you willing to not be the very best you that you can be?

I know once you make the decision to be the best you and do what it takes to get there and you start seeing and feeling the results you will be thrilled, overjoyed and elated. And you will without a doubt wonder why the heck you waited so long to do so.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #41  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I say do it! Do it!!! What are you waiting for? Another month. 6 months? A year, more? How much more of your life are you willing to spend not being the person you were meant to be? How much longer are you going to spend wishing and hoping and dying to be fit and healthy? How much longer are you willing to not be the very best you that you can be?

I know once you make the decision to be the best you and do what it takes to get there and you start seeing and feeling the results you will be thrilled, overjoyed and elated. And you will without a doubt wonder why the heck you waited so long to do so.
I know that wasn't meant for me, but I'm and
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Velveteen, I agree that WW is not right for you. I have just picked up a book called, "The Insulin-Resistance Diet" by Cheryle R. Hart, M.D. and Mary Kay Grossman, R.D. I picked it up because type 1 diabetes runs in my family and I have been told before by a nutritionist that I have hypoglycemia, so my family and personal history definitely includes problems with insulin, and insulin is related to blood glucose, which is related to hunger cues. I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, but in skimming through it, I have learned that about 1 in every 4 overweight people are insulin resistant and many don't even know it. I believe what this book is advocating is a way to eat ANY type of food or drink (including wine--I looked that up in particular before posting this) in proper portions, amounts, and types as long as it is balanced with other foods that keep it from being stored as fat. (People who are insulin resistant have trouble with carbs and need to balance them with protein.) Anyway, I have some reading to do now to learn more about it, but I thought you might be interested because this approach might help you lose weight and not feel so deprived along the way.

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-16-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #43  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devsmama View Post
I know that wasn't meant for me, but I'm and
Yes, yes!!!!! It was most certainly meant for you!

And each and every one of us.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #44  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

I'm going to make an appt with my doctor to see if I have any insulin issues. Both of my parents have problems with Diabetes that came later on in life - I'm now 40 so it's not totally strange that I should get it checked now. Thanks for the discussion here.

Today was better. I ate more during the day and upped my protein and had less fruit. And I still made 23 points (though the points are questionable now on some things and those I will be looking into asap).