3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Please help me figure out why I'm so hungry (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/168648-please-help-me-figure-out-why-im-so-hungry.html)

thinpossible 04-06-2009 07:09 PM

Could you be pregnant?

ZedAus 04-06-2009 07:18 PM

Kelly, you've lost over 80lbs already and your body could very well be changing "hormone-wise" if my example is anything to go by. I didn't have a period for over 8 years when I was overweight, and I was diagnosed as perimenopausal. Since losing weight I have been more regular than I have EVER been in my life and the cravings that have come with that have been astronomical!!!!! I am thankful that I lost most of my weight before hormones struck!

A couple of months ago I was put on a contraceptive pill to try to even out my hormones as I was getting extremely 'emotional' at times during the month. I don't exactly know how they work, but I have a feeling that my own hormones may still be battling/increasing the ones provided by the pill. I could be totally wrong medically, but that is certainly how it feels at the moment. I have been told that it can take a few months to balance out.

Anyway... that may not have anything to do with your situation, but I just wanted to let you know that it could possibly be hormonal cravings that you are dealing with. Problem is... I don't have any suggestions to make that could help you. I could basically eat anything that moves at those times and I am very disappointed in myself at my lack of control. At other times I can give or take a lot of foods.

Good luck with getting through this.

kelly315 04-06-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinpossible (Post 2687517)
Could you be pregnant?

Arg, no, it's my TOM right now.

Lori Bell 04-06-2009 07:52 PM

Hi Kelly. Sorry to hear about your sudden hunger strike...they suck! I never had the PMS munchies until I was about your weight interestingly enough. (Started around Thanksgiving/Christmas) Now PMS can be killer.

I make a HUGE batch of a cabbage/cauliflower/squash (+ tons of other "free" veggies")stir-fry and season it up to be a very tasty binge buster! It gets me through the hard times. I love it, and it is the only thing that keeps me from gorging on high calorie food. I'll tell you another crazy thing...when I started getting these weird major hunger episodes, I notice I also lose a lot of weight during these times, (As long as I don't cave.) A few times I have lost like 3-4 pounds during these hunger week periods as long as I stayed faithful to my "diet". It also seems that during these times my anxiety is MUCH worse. Have you noticed increased anxiety along with this hunger?

time2lose 04-06-2009 08:32 PM

Are you getting enough sleep? I have difficulty sleeping and find that after a couple of sleepless night, I am more hungry than usual.

madamruppy 04-06-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZedAus (Post 2687524)
Kelly, you've lost over 80lbs already and your body could very well be changing "hormone-wise" if my example is anything to go by.

That was just what I was going to say. My only other comment would be something I heard from Meganbee. Sometimes the hunger cravings can be caused by a type of indigestion. Try taking a tums or gaviscon - I found that this does sometimes work for me.

SweetScrumptious 04-06-2009 09:42 PM

Make sure you eat breakfast in the morning - specially one with a lot of protein in it! I know for me when I don't include a protein in breakfast, a few hours later I'm STARVING. But if I do eat protein in the morning, I don't seem so famished later on.

Also, sometimes "hunger pain" is just the bodies way of signaling that you are dehydrated. To find out if you are truly hungry; drinking a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If it goes away, you were just thirsty. If it persist, go get something to eat!

Ija 04-06-2009 10:22 PM

I sometimes have days (or weeks) where I'm just hungrier than others. During those times I eat a little bit more (while sticking to a reasonable calorie budget). The last thing I want to do is let myself go hungry. Of course, when I say "hungry" I mean experiencing physical manifestations of hunger, and not merely craving. As long as I give my body whatever it happens to need at the time, everything goes back to normal after a while.

Good luck!

kelly315 04-07-2009 07:40 AM

thanks for all your answers. I'm feeling slightly less hungry today, so maybe it is the hormones.

ICUwishing 04-07-2009 09:12 AM

Just to toss in one more variable - fat cells were recently discovered to produce estrogen, and of course, the more fat you have, the more estrogen is produced. You've had a massively significant weight loss, which might be changing your balances/ratios and making you feel different. There's a lot of great ideas here for working around the hungry feeling - if they don't work, it might be worth checking with an endocrinologist. I read a theory that the plateaus we hate so much are the body's way of resetting all those glandular outputs. Good luck! :)

mygritsconfessions 04-07-2009 09:16 AM

Alot of great advice in here. Somtimes to more protein or fiber might help.