Steel Magnolias -- #166

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Good Evening!
    It turned out to be an interesting day in my little corner of the world. I was digging into my sorting projects this morning when my son's favorite MIL called to say she would be in town and invited me to go out to lunch. We ended up chatting away two hours and when I got back home, the cable repairman was here to look at our TV hookup, which had been installed backwards by the first installer so that the VCR wouldn't work. By the time he left, it was too late to go back to my project so fixed supper, went for a walk, and here I am.

I've had another "below" points day so I am anxious to see what WI brings tomorrow night. I can't say that I feel any different but I know that I have eaten less this week and walked every day except one. There has to be a loss in there somewhere!

Maggie -- I am worried about you! I hope that you are safe and the fire(s) are put out soon. I think it is neat that Will made the sign . . . I'm sure the workers appreciate it.

Jackie -- The only reason I didn't eat wedding cake is because we left for the graduation reception before the cake was served! I love wedding cake and the gooeier the better! What did you find at the outlet mall? That sounds like a fun place to shop! I like running shoes too . . . had to laugh at your "happy" feet.

Regan -- "HI" and welcome to our little corner of cyberland! I live in Iowa with my DH and 3 fur people. I have just returned to WW for the umpteenth time -- I know the plan will work if I just work the plan! Post often so that we may get to know you and you us! Maggie is currently our resident champion at losing weight! Come and join us down this road to thin . . . one day at a time!

I am off to catch the weather and news on TV. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Good Afternoon!
    It's windy and cold here today . . . no sunshine. It'd be a good afternoon to curl up with a book but I have to run some errands and vote.

I thought I would stop in and see if anyone else has been in the flower patch today.

Hope to see you later!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • This is my comments from the 3rd.......

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We went over to 2 pages.... OOPS I didn't notice when I made the post that caused that.

REGAN welocme to the site. I parrot what Jackie said to you in her earlier post. We can give you encouragement as you can give us encouragement. We do want you to do a healthy program along this road to thin and realize your goal.

I showed a loss ~ just like last week ~ of 1.1 for which I am ever grateful for. I couldn't ask for a better program to fit me for I just keep droping about a pound a week here. You can tell I am jazzed.

The wind is holding the fire away from us at the moment so I am still stitting at the same place typing this.

Catch ya on the rebound.
  • This is my post from the 4th
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I thought I would see you JEAN here.......... come out, come out where ever you are.

Today is gonna be a hot one! The fire is having a bit of a flare up where it was nearest us but they are bombing it as I type. They say it has now burned 100 square miles. Quite a fire it is. Thanks to TEXAS for sending their Hot Shots and the bases and every other county that has come to this show. I love the sound of those bombers flying overhead all day along with those air displacing sounds of the helicopters. The helicopters have huge bladder bags they dip in the lakes and come up full with water. What a sight to see them flying overhead with their bags full then on the return trip empty. Thank you guys and gals fighting this monster.

Cowboy is going up right now to shut off the chlorinators for the tankers are here to use our water. We have two rather large water tanks and if they will help they can have every drop.

I am OP and doing an 18 point day. Hope everyone is doing fine.

Catch you on the rebound.

JEAN I thought I had started #166 but after I posted today I realized it had come out that I had entered Weigh Day (which I went and deleted) in that area instead the Magnolia title. DUH so that you wouldn't miss what I said I brought them over here.

That is so neat that you had such a nice time with your friend. Good for you for being OP and all that exercise. Points to spare sure feel good don't they! YES you should show a loss this coming weigh day.

Have a good one folks.
  • Something's Burning
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

And the beat goes on. The fire flared up again in Rose Valley which is 11 miles up the winding Highway 33 from here. The convoy of tanker trucks, pumper trucks, heavy earth moving equipment, fire trucks, crew moving trucks started going by here at 5 am through 8 am with a few still trickling by. It is currently almost 10 am here. The helicopters are busy dipping water out of the lake and flying overhead in a steady stream. The plan is to have the fire out by Monday. After while the convoy will be coming down .... at least the crew moving trucks for their 12 hour shift will be at an end. I feel so sorry for those guys and gals up there fighting this monster in those suits they wear in this heat. It takes young healthy strong bodies of our nations finest youth to do this work.

I was interviewed by a local radio news station yesterday which was a trip. I didn't even listen to the broadcast this morning....

We do have some campers here yet and more are coming in.

It is going to be a hot one today for it is already so warm if you move sweat beads pop out.

Have a good day ya'all and stay cool.
  • I will get with the program
    I really like talking to all of you. I can't go to any ww meeting
    right now. I may join online. I want to make some meal plans.
    It's so much easier that way. congradulations to all of you
    that are dropping those pounds. It is just great! Keep up the
    good work!
  • Good Afternoon!
    I just realized that I didn't get back to the computer after WW last night. *sigh* They say the mind is the first to go! I will be glad when this church class is over as it is not at all what we expected and we didn't have the nerve to drop out right away. Oh well, the fellowship has been the best and I have learned just by listening to others.

Well, I showed a 7.6# loss last night but I know part of it is due to the bp meds for water retention. But I did eat much more wisely, drank the water, and walked so I'm sure that would account for part of the loss. I just wish I could do that much every week. I'd be at goal in no time at all. Of course if I had done that 30 years ago, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Maggie -- I hope the firefighters can keep ahead of the fire! Watching all of the coming and going must be comforting, in a way, but yet scary too. CONGRATULATIONS on another losing week! You go Girl! I probably wouldn't have noticed your thread because I just look for SM. I'm glad you moved over here with me!

Regan -- I'm glad to see you moved over with us! We usually try to keep the posts on one page so whomever is going for #15 usually just starts the new thread. Tell us a little about yourself . . . I could go check your profile but it's more fun when you volunteer the information. Take this journey one day at a time and we can do this together!

I have been ironing so need to put things away before it is time to think about something for supper.

Have a terrific Thursday -- the week is flying by fast!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • about myself
    Hello,
    I just came back from cutting my hair. I cut it real short. Here in Louisiana it gets pretty hot! well, you wanted to know a little about me. Okay, here goes! My real name is Caresse, nickname
    regan. I am 52 going on 53 this month. I have a wonderful husband, who is a real sweetheart! I have 4 grown children, 3 girls, l boy. The boy is not married yet. The girls are. I have 7 grandchildren. I like gardening, I like to do crafts, I just love animals, I have 2 dogs! I like to cook and I collect cookbooks!
    I live in the country on 2 acreas. We also have goats! I think
    that you all need to tell me about yourselfs.
  • Hi Everybody!!!!

I am so sorry I have been gone...but between ending the school year and my mom being sick again.....things have been so busy and the time has gone by sooooo fast!!!

I am going to try and catch up on all of the posts....(YIKES) That is a lot of posts to read.

Maggie: I hope all is well with you and the fires. I have been thinking about you and hoping that you are okay.

It is so nice to be off for the summer!!!!! Yea!! Toward the end of school the kids were getting so excited. The teachers would just say the number of days we had left of school to each other as we passed in the hall. Kept our sanity for a little while at least.

Well, I am going to get my kids ready for bed. I hope to catch up with everyone and join in the group again.....
  • Good Afternoon!
    It's cool sunny day here and WINDY again! I am taking a break from sorting through piles of papers. Evidently when we first got the computer I had the crazy idea I needed to make copies of everything that was sent to me or that I read in my travels through cyberspace. Sheesh!

Regan -- Caresse is a pretty name and one I don't think that I have ever heard before. Thanks for sharing with us! Do your children and grandchildren live close enough so that they keep you busy? You and I can start a "cookbook club" as I have quite a few too. The strange thing is that I don't like to cook but I like cookbooks! I am the neighborhood Cat Lady and have been feeding the same mother cat for a little over three years now. She is wild and I can only pet her when she has kittens and is snarfing her food down. She has had her third batch of kittens but so far has not brought them to us. We live on the edge of town and have other strays that pass through from time to time but Momma Cat is here for breakfast and usually supper every day. We have a couple of farms that will take the kittens once they come to us and we can catch them. It breaks my heart but I know they are better off because we have a neighbor who doesn't like animals and I'm afraid of what he might do. Momma Cat keeps her distance from their yard! Last summer he put out a live trap for her and all he got were possums. She is a smart cat! We have three inside cats that pretty much do whatever they please. We have two children who are grown -- a son, Jason, who is married to Amanda and they are expecting a baby in Nov. and a daughter, Beth, who is "Miss Independent" and doesn't want a man running her life right now! She works for Gateway. I am a teacher and work with special ed. students at the high school level. I'm sure I gave you more than you ever wanted to know!

Lorraine -- HI STRANGER! It is so good to see you! I'm sorry to see that your mom is sick again. I hope she is on the mend and feeling better. We were out of school on the 24th, which is early for us. I have been busy trying to sort through the piles that seem to grow during the school year. Someday I will be more organized . . . in my next life probably! Visit again soon -- we have missed you!

Maggie -- How is the fire situation? Better, I hope!

Have a nice afternoon, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Jean
    hello,
    i just finished reading your post. My name is found very often.
    My mother named me after a book that was written. This girl
    lived in New Orleans and her name was Caresse. Thats all I know.
    So you like cats! I do too. But I have two dogs. My children and
    grandchildren live close by. They keep us pretty busy. I will
    say congradulations on the coming birth of your grandchild!
    It is always so exciting! My last grandchid, her name is Megan,
    was born with serious heart problems. She has only two of
    her heart chambers working. But when she was born she was
    immediately sent to Children's Hospital in New Orleans. She
    had her intestines on the wrong side and no spleen! She's had
    two surgerys and may have one more, to correct her ablity not
    to have enough oxigen' She gets a little blue around her mouth and finger tips. But she is doing well now. She is walking and
    she is a year old! She is our miracal baby! We go for a check up
    this month. I know what you do with those children you teach
    is so rewarding! God bless you!
  • Almost Friday
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The fires have moved far enough away that there is no immediate threat to us anymore. Now I can take all the non skid off the shelving again and be glad I got all the dusting done that way. I am having one of those "hungry" days that comes around on occasion so I traded this 19 point day for tomorrows 35 points and am as happy as if I had sense.

LORRAINE how nice to have you back girlfriend and happy to hear your Mom is out of the hospital now. Now that you are going to get with the program I can imagine we will be seeing more of you here.

JEAN Bet you are glad that school is winding down once more and you can look through all those magazines that you didn't have a chance to see during the year.

REGAN I am a preachers wife living in the National Forest in the beautiful state of California that is on fire and badly needs rain at the moment. We have three children all grown and living their own lives in different states. We are currently on a sebatical which comes to an end the first of July but we may still be able to live here in the Forest.

Hey folks, Gloria will be home on the 8th which is this coming Saturday. Now that time sure did fly while she was gone.

Have a great evening everyone.......
  • It's FRIDAY
    GOOD MORNING STEEL MAGNOLIAS

It's FRIDAY and the weekend is upon us. The campground is open once more and we should have the folks coming in this evening that have reservations and also the first come first serve folks who want the sights in the upper end which I think are the best of the lot anyway. I traided yesterday for today so this is a 19 point day for me... yesterday was a hungry day for this happy camper. But I am so glad that this program is flexible and I can juggle the days as I see the need.

Have a good day folks and make great OP plans for the weekend.
  • Happy Friday!
    It is so terribly windy today . . . if you wore a wig it had better be tied on today! The sun is shining brightly but it is supposed to be hot this afternoon. I had to make a quick trip to the vet this morning . . . Leonard was looking a little pale and when he didn't show up for breakfast I knew he was sick. He never passes up food! Anyhow, he has an infection of some sort and is on antibiotics. Twice a day doses and I am NOT looking forward to that. He has been losing clumps of fur which I was also concerned about and she thought that might be an allergy of some sort. Will treat the infection first and go from there. He still hasn't eaten which is unusual for him.

Regan -- I'm glad to hear that Megan's medical problems are fixable ones. It is amazing what modern medicine can do! We are all just praying for a healthy baby! Amanda is very health conscious so everything is fine so far.

Maggie -- I took most of my magazines to school for the kids to cut up for making posters. I had another pile of Country Woman and Taste of Home that I took up to my MIL. They are her favorites. I just decided I would never take the time to read through them and rather than throw them away I would recycle. During the summer months I take them to the hospital for the various waiting rooms there. I can't say "no" when the kids sell magazines at school.

Gloria -- WELCOME HOME! We missed you!

I may be late in visiting tomorrow as we are leaving early to go to MIL's and put the dock in. Have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!! Woke up Monday morning to a dead monitor...so we spent most of the week getting a new one and getting it set up. We splurged and got a flat screen. NOW I can get a smaller desk for the computer, printer, scanner, etc...I'd like to get one that wraps around a corner so I can use it as a desk too.

JEAN: I can relate to Leonard! As you kow we have Geoff's dog with us...he takes her up to the lake every chance he gets, and although he is very deligent about looking for foxtails...one got jammed into her paw...she chewed it out...along with a bunch of hair and actually split the skin. But the vet said she did a great job of getting the foxtail out!! She is now on antibiotics. So one vet vist and $200 later...we have antibiotics, 2 shots she was due for, heartworm meds, flea and tic stuff and a weigh in!! I need to get this dog on our health insurance!!

MAGGIE: You are doing SO WELL!!!!! every week...a little at a time! You are an inspiration to us all!! Glad the fires turned away from you! I hope you will be able to stay in CA after July.

REGAN: Good to get to know you. I'm 58 (59 in Sept) live with my DH and granddog in Northern CA in a small town in the middle of the vineyards. I have two grown children...Kristin,29 who got married in 2000 (whose wedding prompted me to lose 70 pounds!) and Geoff, 27...my wanderlust child who has traveled, lived and worked all over the East Coast since he graduated from College...he relocated back to CA last summer. He is happy with his life and is definitely not ready to settle down yet. I'm a retired teacher...I taught for 30 years...Elementary to High School. It was a great job, but retirement is better!! My husband and I love to travel...in fact we are going on a 14 day druise to Alaska in Aug. I'm glad you found us...post often

LORRAINE: I've been away a while too...good to hear that things are going well for you and that your mom is doing better.

OK Flowers....have a great week end!!
    Jackie