Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #1  
Working what I got!

S/C/G: 330/309/190

Height: 6'2

Default Exercising is the easy part for me

I'm sorry if it's already a post about this but..

I think I'm in the small minority who find the exercising easier than the actual food part of getting healthier. Last night for instance, I laid in bed, thinking about a gyro covered in cheese, onions and cucumber sauce. Sometimes I'll be walking through a mall and smell the grease coming off the fries or burgers look 'radiant' under their warming lamps.

I get excited to work out! I love pushing myself and I don't know if it's the 'testosterone' but I love hitting the gym and breaking a sweat. But when that hour is over, I'm back to thinking about something deep-fried, smothered in cheese and topped off with something bubbly in high fructose corn syrup.

I'm probably in the minority as I said before, but I really find myself craving these unhealthy foods.
jboogie773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #2  
Where'd my 23yo body go?

Height: 5'3"

I think craving the foods in totally normal. I know I do it! The key is not giving in to that craving.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #3  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

I've had a little bit of both in my journey. About a year and a half ago I lost 65 lbs. and when I first started to try to lose weight the food part was easy and the exercise was impossible! I hated it. Then I got into a groove and actually made it a habit, soon I started loving it and I loved how it made me feel. It was around that time that I started having a much harder time with the food. I lived in Phoenix AZ. at the time and mexican food is one of my major weaknesses and you can imagine the number of mexican joints surrounding me in that city! If it's spicy, greasy and cheesey I WANT IT! I sort of seemed to lose my self control, even though I was able to keep exercising I was constantly giving into my cravings for mexican food, ice cream, fast food and chips. Now that I'm back at it I'm having the opposite problem again, my food is going okay but I just can't seem to kick my butt into gear when it comes to working out!

So I guess the long and short of it is that everybody is different but sometimes the same person (yourself) can change and be different too! lol Maybe the food part will get easier. I always hear that people's tastes actually evolve and change and some of the foods that they once loved and craved don't really have the same appeal anymore. Some people learn to make healthier versions of their favorite "off-limits" foods and are satisfied with that. All I can say is just STICK WITH IT! Every time you're able to say no to one of those cravings give yourself a little pat on the back and take a minute to recognize that you've done something good for your body that day.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #4  
It's either Now or Now

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm the same way. If just exercise was required to lose weight, I'd be there already (well, not if it require olympic athlete level exercise heehee). It's the food I have no discipline with.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #5  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I too find it easier to exercise than work on my food choices and intake. I think it is perfectly reasonable to start off working on exercise and slowly add in other changes over time. I think that this is why I've been more successful this time around. That and I have learned to forgive myself if I make a mistake. We only have to do our best for today. And tommorow is another chance to do our best.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Exercising is very much the easy part for me also. Managing food is sooooo much harder. I can wipe out the calorie deficit of a very long, hard run in about 5 minutes flat. So sad, but so true.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I find exercising way easier. It is just a part of my life - I've been a regular exerciser for years now, regardless of whether I was maintaining, gaining, or losing. I enjoy the exercise I do & look forward to it. Unfortunately, I also enjoy & look forward to food...a bit too much.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I can definitely relate. Exercise is the easy part.
I don't necessarily crave the same "bad" food like you, but I often read here from posters who have been eating clean for months how they got physically sick after visiting a fast food place or basically after eating some very unhealthy meals. I always think - I wish!!!
The smell of McD's fries is still as tantalizing as it was a year ago and still allow myself about once a month to sneak in for a McMeal. Do you think I am nauseous or bloated afterwards? Nooo! I feel completely fine.

I don't find it really hard to eat clean but I do love to eat and I guess that will never change. I have learned to control my "bad food" cravings for the most part - let's say 95%. But there is still the 5% lurking and waiting for its opportunity to jump up and bite in my bum.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #9  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

You look like you're new to weight loss... when I first started I thought I was having withdrawal symptoms! Visions of the worst foods I used to eat and how I wanted them RIGHT NOW (of course, I had just moved to a new country and couldn't get these foods, which helped).

I think if exercising is easier for you, focus on that and just change your food a little bit at a time. Going cold turkey for me always sent me running back to the "bad" foods and eating more than I normally would've eaten before dieting. It worked for me to not have a restrictive diet... just try to space out having these unhealthy foods. Start with eating them once a week, then try to eat them every other week, then once a month, etc. Knowing I could and would have them eventually made me want them less.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboogie773 View Post
I'm sorry if it's already a post about this but..

I think I'm in the small minority who find the exercising easier than the actual food part of getting healthier.

I would say you are probably in the majority. A lot of people find it hard to start exercising, but more people get hooked by it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #11  
Working what I got!

S/C/G: 330/309/190

Height: 6'2

So glad that I'm not alone in this!
jboogie773 is offline   Reply With Quote