Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #1  
Working what I got!

S/C/G: 330/309/190

Height: 6'2

Default Diet envy?

I just got on my 'better health plan' last week and this is my second week going into it, and I was feeling very confident about it until my cousin calls my grandmother bragging about how she lost 4 pounds in one week! I'm so jealous and envious because she eats nothing but crap and empty calories. She's the type who thinks just because she did a Slim Fast Shake that she can scarf it down with a big piece of fried chicken. It's also come to light that she's using 'green tea diet pills'. And it just frustrats me, someone who is doing it the right way. And I've lost two pounds and I'm very, very proud of it. But she's lost four in 4 days without as much as busting a sweat as she's put it!

I know I shouldn't be jealous because I know my way- watching calorie intake, being more active, eating smaller portions, will get me to my goal and help me maintain it and hers is a temporary fix but it just boils my blood! Anybody else ever felt that way?
jboogie773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

How about making this your journey and doing what works best for you? You'll see here on this site there are zillions of ways to lose weight, people are successful on different plans. We encourage each other but comparing is always dangerous. There's always someone better or prettier then you... From what I've read in a ton of posts here is there's no real "miracle" weight loss plan, they all require lots of work and focus. The first weeks you can lose weight that's just water weight, or maybe you just shock your body into losing fast, I don't know. But it appears to me that gradual long term weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week is best in the long term to keep it off (which I didn't do, I'm losing the same weight). It's a lifestyle change, otherwise you gain the weight back after "dieting" with Slim Fast or whatever "miracle" you find.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #3  
Working what I got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsey View Post
How about making this your journey and doing what works best for you? You'll see here on this site there are zillions of ways to lose weight, people are successful on different plans. We encourage each other but comparing is always dangerous. There's always someone better or prettier then you... From what I've read in a ton of posts here is there's no real "miracle" weight loss plan, they all require lots of work and focus. The first weeks you can lose weight that's just water weight, or maybe you just shock your body into losing fast, I don't know. But it appears to me that gradual long term weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week is best in the long term to keep it off (which I didn't do, I'm losing the same weight). It's a lifestyle change, otherwise you gain the weight back after "dieting" with Slim Fast or whatever "miracle" you find.
Yes, I agree, it is a lifestyle change which I always keep in mind. I just got so mad at my cousins 'success' if you will when she's not IMO really even trying. I was venting. But in essence, this is MY JOURNEY as you stated, and I need to just stick in my lane.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Did she just start 'dieting'? There's a big chance that those 4lbs might just be water weight. Also, if she's bigger than you its actually easier for her to lose weight doing less. Don't let others bring you down. Its hard to compare your weight loss to others because no one is the same and some people lose weight a lot differently than others. Just concentrate on YOUR progress! 2 pounds is a GREAT start! Look at this picture for motivation- you lost that amount of fat TWICE!
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #5  
Working what I got!

Oh my! That's what two pounds looks like? Eww lol Thank you for that. ANd yeah, she just started 'working' out. She's a lot smaller than me and has had six kids so I was kinda like, "Wow, ok." But you're right, keeping focus on my goal is what's gonna get me the prize; not comparing my results to others. Thanks Amber!
Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I agree, don't let that set you back...besides 2 pounds per week is the best way to do it!! Keep going!!!
Looking4Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Our goal here is to take off the weight as healthfully as possible. We all want a long term success. We want to lose it and to maintain it for the rest of our lives. Right? This is a total life-style change. It's great your cousin has some motivation to lose some weight right now, but do you seriously think she can drink slim fast and take tea pills for the rest of her life? I don't think anyone could stomach slim fast forever. You just keep doing what you are doing. Keep working it and eating a healthy rounded diet. Your hard work and dedication will pay off...for the long haul.

Oh...and WELCOME to 3FC!! We are glad you are here! We like guys... and we have some awesome dudes on this board, so please get comfy and post away!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-17-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: welcome!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #8  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

In the long run we'll see who'll come out on top. I bet not that one with that big ole piece of fried chicken in her mouth. Hello!

Stay focused!
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #9  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I have "diet envy" too. One of my friends went on South Beach and lost a TON of weight. I turned that around though, and used it as my motivation. Since she did so well with South Beach, so can I - and it's working so far!
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I understand the jealousy, totally, and have had to focus on myself when I feel that way.
And remember, weight loss isn't permanent removal unless there is maintenance, and you are doing things in a way that will maintain.
I have lost my weight VERY slowly, but I am eating in a sustainable way, so I feel I have a better chance of keeping it off. There is no upcoming event (except my healthy life) coming up that I am losing weight for....its all for me and my health. So slow is the key to maintaining for me. Your method is working and is healthy, so it will be better in the long run. Focus on your good stuff, and if family brings it up, just congratulate her. (with an inner smile)
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #11  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

Stick to your plan and do you, like others have already said. Since starting I have had 8 pound weeks (in the beginning) and as low as fractions of pounds loss and doing the same work week in and week out for the most part, weight loss will vary week to week. I understand the "diet envy" thing though I have never had it, when you are bustin arse and see someone effortlessly drop more than you it can be frustrating BUT with that said, and like you said stay in your lane and keep on doing what works for you.

My take on the green tea pills, if she is using green tea extract its not exactly a "diet pill" it is just a way to get the benefits of green tea without actually drinking it (though I don;t know why one would not just drink it as it taste great) but as I don't know what pills exactly she is taking it could be a diet pill which includes green tea extracts or something BUT as far as green tea goes, I swear by the stuff and have lost 186 pounds in just under 15 months I am not saying that its because of the tea that I drink (I do not take pills) but I do believe that its part of why I have been able to drop that weight.

Good luck with your weight loss.

As Ever
Me
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I think you have to keep in mind that people who aren't really trying or really making a lifestyle change have a higher chance that they'll gain the weight back and then some. I mean you are making changes for the long run, she is making changes to "diet" in the short term. Big difference in my opinion.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #13  
Stop the EXCUSES

S/C/G: 220/179/145

Height: 5ft 5in

Hey Jboogie, I can totally relate. My sis in law has been taking phentermine and the weight has literally fallen off of her. She keeps telling me that i should go and get a prescription but I have heard so many stories about phentermine that I am scared to take the stuff. I am trying to do it the right way through diet and exercise but its really hard but i know in the long run my way is the better way and all of my hard work will pay off. Just hang in there...
faronica1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

Count me in on the diet envy...

My DH, bless his heart, started Weight Watchers last week. I'm totally supportive, and need to lose weight as well, so we're doing this together!

Sounds terrific, huh.

He weighed in today. 8.4 pounds he lost. What the... Now, I'm thrilled to death with this, he was over 300 pounds and although he's always been a big tall man, he was getting too large even for his frame. He'll be healthier, happier, hopefully friskier, it's all good...

So why am I so totally envious? I know DARN well I've not lost 8 pounds. I've been good, I've not cheated, but my best is 4 pounds a week. Normal - 2 pounds. I am almost 43, mother to 5 great kids, very active, but this weight is stuck like GLUE and is taking it's sweet time coming off.

So now, here I sit, HUNGRY on top of it all!!

I know, I know, losing the right way, easy to lose a lot in the beginning...I know all this. My rational mind KNOWS all this. But that darn diet envy reared his ugly head. At least it's my sweetie losing weight, and it's darn good motivation to NOT slip up, as there will be no living with him if he loses way more weight than I do...

Sorry. Just had to vent.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #15  

I know what you mean by diet envy but I think all the other posts on here are dead-on! What you're doing is not so much a diet as a lifestyle choice -- eating healthier, getting more active and portion control -- are all things you'll need to keep the weight off. Those sorts of choice aren't just about losing weight, they're about doing something good for your body. Good on you for choosing something that you can maintain.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote