I think my scale is broke...

• seriously, how many times have you said that since the start of your journey? lol.

I know it is impossible to go down 3lb in one night. So thats why I think my scale has got to be broke.

But in the event that it is not, I have a little back information that could sort of make me think there is a chance it is really my weight and that the scale is not broke.

For about 2 weeks I was stuck at 206, nothing I did I could get under that. After about a week of extreme frustration, I went crazy and put myself into crash diet mode. Somthing I am aware is a very unhealthy path to go down. I was hardly eatting. I would have maybe an apple for breakfast, some broccoli and corn for dinner and maybe some peanut butter later that night (only because I thought it looked bad to only have fruit and veggies in the day), With about 2 glasses of water. I was so scared to even drink water because I didnt want the water weight. I was getting very obsessive with my dieting, weighing myself after I put an ounce of water or food inside my body, and weighing myself to see if I could eat. It was really bad and it was scaring me as well as others in the house. Needless to say that clearly was not working because a week later I was still at 206. I am very grateful that I caught myself early on and it didnt turn into somthing worse and long lasting. It's even more scary now looking back at how bad it was, even if it was just a week.

So on Feb 27th I started packing the calories on and protein (which for some reason always seems to help), and pretty much was eatting how I used to, before I went into the crash dieting (not the bad eatting I used to do, the healthy eatting) . 2 days later I woke up and had dropped 3lb somehow over night. I was hoping for 205 and didnt even see that, I saw 203. I couldnt believe it. Therefor am convinced my scale is broke lol. If it is not, I guess the whole "you have to eat to lose weight" thing really is true.

I then weighed myself this morning and was down another pound. 202. I would really like to believe that is my real weight, as I am just so close to being under 200. But I find it so hard to believe one day I could be 206 the next 203. It just doesnt seem possible to me. I am getting so close to the biggest milestone of my life, it would just be the biggest set back and let down if I found out it wasnt accurate.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone? For the time being, I'm going to enjoy thinking that I am 202 :-)

I always try to keep these short, but that was crazy long and it never seems to work lol. Sorry for my rambles.

• I was so glad to read your post. I am having the very same problem. I am on a starvation diet and the scale barely budges. I have never had it happen where I went down a bunch like you have but I sure feel like I deserve it for as little as I have been eating. So, I just wish I could offer some good suggestions but I will keep watching your posts and see what some other people say. I totally relate to not even wanting to drink water etc. Hang in there, finally we will get where we want. It just takes a ton of trial and errorI do think
  • That's exactly how I've lost the entirety of my weight - in bursts. Your scale might be working just fine!
  • I am the same way- I've started eating more calories and trying to get in more protein- from one week I went from 216 to 213.
  • this weekend i went from 198 friday to 196 saturday to 202.5 sunday to 198 today. i know it's all water weight from TOM, but it really reminds me not to be a slave to the scale. also, more water is the key to being less bloated and can help you not feel so desperately hungry.
  • same thing has happened to me. just calories in/calories out. i think exercise is key, along with getting in your good fats. i was doing ww last summer and totally neglected my fats. i got a headache that lasted for two and a half weeks. i thought i had a brain bleed or tumor at first. i finally figured it out nine months later.
  • Please drink more water. You need more water. And you won't retain it unless you are consuming too much salt. But...it helps you flush out things you don't want, and helps you process everything else, and not become dehydrated.

It sounds to me like it would benefit you to talk to your doctor about how to lose weight in a healthy and non-obsessive way.
  • i lost one pound in a few hours today.. scales aren't broken our bodies are just weird like that lol
  • i lost a pound while i was at work today. i just keep on doing what i'm doing and am happy that the general trend is down.
  • I went on a vacation for 5 days and ate like a horse. Literally, pasta for dinner every night + dessert. Completely OFF PLAN. I came home and ate on plan for 3 days and cumulatively lost weight for the week.

I think you sometimes just need to shake it up.

P.S. You can go down 3lbs in one night. It has happened to me and my scale is not broken! ;-)
  • I gained 4 lbs. in two days. I wasn't binging either, 75% of what I ate was fruits and vegetables. I think it was the veggie soup I made that I have been eating the past couple of days. I do like my garlic salt. In two days I swear I'll have deflated and maybe lose a pound if my calories stay low. I've got to stay away from the veggie soup until I've lost all the weight I want to lose. It depresses me to bloat.
  • Now I'm down 2 lbs.
  • time of the day makes a difference.

i weigh less after work than before i go cos i spend the entire day walking around.

but, your body fluctuates over the day. it's best to wait a whole week before weighing cos tat's going to be more accurate
  • Bursts
    I agree with the bursts theory. I weigh myself everyday but track it on a chart every 2 weeks. (1st and 15th of every month). I noticed that in 2 weeks, I might lose 3 lbs and then the next 2 weeks I might lose 4 or 6 and some weeks none at all. You just have to be patient and watch over-all trends and don't be hard on yourself from day to day. As long as you're being healthy, you can expect positive results - it will just happen in bursts.