What was your "lightbulb" moment?

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • When you knew you had to lose weight and committed to a healthier lifestyle?

At my heaviest, I weighed 294 pounds, could hardly walk more than a few yards without getting out of breath, was extremely inactive, found it difficult to buy nice clothes that fit me and generally didn't take very good care of myself.

I seriously think I was in denial or something for a very long time that I had a problem though. I had no inclination to do anything to change my situation despite feeling so self-conscious and unhappy.

The change came about one day in a changing room in a plus size store. I was trying on a top and checking myself out in the mirror. I realised I looked as if I was heavily pregnant with triplets! I burst into tears. I didn't want to look that way, I wanted to wear nice clothes and look attractive, take care of my hair and skin, be healthy, feel alive, have energy! I wanted to feel like a normal person and stop comparing myself with others and finding myself lacking. Most of all, I wanted to stop using my weight as an excuse to hide behind for not having achieved various things in life.

I committed that very day to changing my lifestyle. I have a long way to go but so far, I have lost 75 pounds, I am an exercise fanatic, I look after my hair, skin, nails, wear make-up, am (usually) full of energy and feel so much happier. I have pursued other goals as well, rather than telling myself I can't because of my weight.

What flipped the switch for you?
  • it was just a random day when i woke up and deicded to stop hating the way i looked and felt. and the only way to do that was to change it. so i did...
  • I lost a lot of weight 02-04.
    I gained 85% back 04-09.
    I kept nearly starting back and got to one day when I logged in all the 'healthy, vegetarian' food I'd eaten that day. (I'm not vegetarian, it was just one of those days).
    2,500 calories!!!! Hllfire!
    I realized then just how much knowledge/awareness I'd lost, started calorie counting to 1500 the next day and have managed it fine since Feb 3rd.
    I think the boost to the lightbulb came when after only a few pounds my shirts started fitting better.

Good luck with your journey!
  • For a long time I was dissatisfied with how I looked and felt. I got out of breath so easily, and knew I needed a change. I was just afraid to take the first step. It was a fear of failure, more than anything. I think the real "lightbulb" moment was when I went to work out for the first time, and realized I COULD do it, after all. It was all downhill from there.
  • When my "fat jeans" (size 18 stretch) got tight. I had zero energy and the only activity I wanted to do was to drive somewhere to eat out. GAH! I said enough is enough. I'm not buying another size up and I am not spending our entire paycheck (after bills) on eating out. I hated getting dressed to go out because nothing fit nicely and I didn't spend money on clothes because I refused to buy in larger sizes. I hated going shopping because I would always leave depressed that nothing fit me.

Now I look in the mirror and even though I still have a ways to go I don't shudder when I catch a profile of myself. I have accomplished a lot and clothes are starting to fit nicely. I can go into the womens section in a store and find something - and my tops are all size medium now! I'm not 100% satisfied of course, but it's a far cry from the crying in the dressing room I used to do.
  • For me it was when I realized that I had been depressed for 20 years but didn't know it . . . and realizing I wasn't depressed anymore. I felt great on the inside and I wanted to look great on the outside. I finally felt like I deserved all the good things in life, including taking care of myself because I am a wonderful person and I deserve to be healthy as well as happy. Now, 96 lbs later, I am beginning to look more on the outside like I feel on the inside. I can't wait to get rid of the rest of this weight. It's the most important thing in my life and, six months and one week into this lifestyle change, I am just as motivated and committed as I was on day one...
  • I'm like cakses, when my size 18's starting fitting uncomfortable I was like NO I am not going to get to a size 20! I say myself in pictures (the few I'd take) and I was just HUGE. I finally decided that's it, since then I've gone down from 230 to 213 and am a comfortable size 16. When the day comes and I hit a size 14 I'll probably dance around the house lol.
  • For me, it was several things hitting in the same week. I rushed to catch a train and found myself gasping for breath. I realized I was choosing my clothes based only on what I could squeeze myself into. I stepped on the scale (which I'd been avoiding for ages) and saw the highest number ever. It all added up to make me finally admit that I was unhealthy because I was so overweight.
  • One day at church I was walking to my SS room upstairs and I was so out of breath someone told me, you really should go to a dr about that cold. They were being nice because that is what is sounded like was chest congestion. However I did not have a cold I was just so fat and out of shape that I could not breath. For me it is not about a magic # but a feeling of being able to do more, the # is a wonderful addition though.LOL
  • I love reading threads like this. It's such an inspiration.

I haven't lost much weight yet, but I have made tons of changes from within that I know will result in weight loss soon. The biggest click I've ever had came last summer when my mom died of a heart attack. She was only 45 She had lost probably 80 lbs, I'm guessing when she was around 36 - 37. She was probably around 220 when she died. She ate bad foods (lots of fast food) and didn't exercise at all. She was also a really big drinker and partied hardy and those things had a big hand in her death. I live a much healthier lifestyle, but it is still a wakeup call to me to take better care of my health and lose the extra weight for good.

I've made a lot of changes regarding how I feel about myself on the inside. I'm determined that this time I am making permanent changes. Even if it takes longer than I'd like to lose weight, it's more important to me to change my habits so that I'm healthy for good.
  • Which time? There has been many like when I started breaking plastic lawn furniture,had to squeeze into a amusement park ride and hold my stomach in so the door would fit..
    This time I had gone down about 30 pounds and last week noticed my clothes were getting tighter and I said no more I have to do this for myself and my family. I hate how I look and feel and need to find the new me.
  • Well last year when I joined this site and started really trying it was just me hitting an all time low. It was after my 25th birthday and then new years and I realized I was wasting my life away whining and complaining and not really changing anything.

But it didn't last for long and I fell off the wagon and ignored it all.

Then this time started when I went to the ER. I had been feeling sick for almost 2 weeks and it finally ended with me being in crazy pain. I went to the ER and my blood sugar was over 300. They told me I had diabetes and I knew then that no excuse was good enough, I had to change.
  • Well, I'd like to think it was people believing I was pregnant FIVE TIMES IN ONE YEAR. The first time or two I cried. By the 5th time I was ready to punch the person.

But it wasn't until I moved to Korea that I got serious about it. I would've LOVED to lose all 60 lbs while I'm here for a year and go back and shock the **** out of everyone... but right now I'm not losing at that pace so I'll just be happy to continue losing and whatever I'm at after 6 months when I head home will be good enough.
  • When I had to lie on the bed to button my jeans and hold my breath to tie my shoes.
  • Oh man joyra I know that feeling- in one year I was asked 3 times if I was pregnant! It was very devastating to me!