Protein!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Okay I've been logging my calories on The Daily Plate for some time now, and while it's helped me get control of my fat intake (from 50% to 20% roughly) because there's a pie chart breaking down where your calories are coming from, I've noticed that my carbs are usually more than 50% and my protein is the smallest sliver of the pie.
    So, I know the basics--egg whites and tuna. But what are some other healthy protein powerhouses? something I could have for breakfast or lunch to really get my daily quota in? Anybody got any tips?
  • Cottage cheese (1%)
    Beans
    Canned salmon- use it as you would tuna
    white meat chicken

those are some of my favorites
  • Tofu, Beans, Whole grains, seeds and nuts (can be fatty but are generally the "healthy" fat), certain veggies such as spinach, asparagus, brussel sprouts and broccoli have a very high protein to calories ratio
  • tofu, meat substitutes generally have a ton of protein with much less fat and other bad stuff.
    beans!
  • Nonfat greek yogurt
    In a pinch/on the run, I use pre-packed protein shakes.
    WW Tortilla with turkey and a laughing cow
    String cheeses
  • Are protein suppliments like whey protein for example a ok way to increase your protein intake? My protein is low too and I'm just not a huge fan of meat. I do get protein but usually fall about 20g short of my daily goal.
  • well how much protein are you getting? For me, carbs are the biggest portion of my calories, then protein and then fat. Unless you are going for a specific ratio, then your protein may be fine.
  • When you see your protein is low on your charts, mix up water and whey protein, drink, put that into fitday and you'll see those numbers quickly change...
  • Quote: tofu, meat substitutes generally have a ton of protein with much less fat and other bad stuff.
    beans!
    I would definitely check labels. I've never found meat substitutes to be generally low in fat.
  • Quote: I would definitely check labels. I've never found meat substitutes to be generally low in fat.

What have you tried? Every one I've had are quite low in fat with the exception of soy chorizo.
  • Quote: I would definitely check labels. I've never found meat substitutes to be generally low in fat.
    Yeah I was going to say, there are a ton of meat substitutes that are low in fat. Yves and Lighterlife actually specialize in lower fat meat substitutes. The regular boca burgers have very little fat and tons of protein.

I've also made my own that are low fat as well.

Tofurkey brand tends to be higher in fat except for their deli 'meats'. Other than that, they tend to be lower fat in general.
  • In addition to what has already been listed, I like Flatout breads, and Joseph's pitas. The Thomas Light Multi-grain English muffins are also a good choice.

All three have extra protein added combined with some veggie toppings, make an excellent sandwich
  • Roasted chickpeas as a snack and main dishes made with quinoa are two of my favorites. I also second the string cheese suggestion- very convenient!
  • Quote: well how much protein are you getting? For me, carbs are the biggest portion of my calories, then protein and then fat. Unless you are going for a specific ratio, then your protein may be fine.
    I agree. It's nearly impossible to be deficient in protein. Many Americans eat too much protein, in fact. That said, everyone is different and in weight loss some do better with more protein. This is not true for me. I do just fine with my diet being formed of mostly carbs (the complex kind -- whole grains), good fats, and about 10-15% protein. How much are you aiming for?
  • Chicken (I eat tons of it. Usually 8oz at dinner most days and it has 46g of protein!)
    Lean ground turkey
    Nuts
    Cheeses
    Whole grains (breads, pasta)
    Lunch meat - 6 slices of Oscar Mayer brand have 8g and only 50 cals - You can do turkey and cheese roll ups!
    Yogurt
    Egg beaters (I use instead of eggs) - I usually have a multigrain eng muffin with a slice of cheese, 1/4 cup egg beater, and a slice of turkey bacon about 15g+ of protein for breakfast
    Fish! Good to have instead of tons of chicken