Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #1  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Question Tales from the scale make me wail...

and by the way, my name is gail. gail whale growing up. why couldn't my parents have named me Minnie. Then I could be Skinny Minnie!

I am 10 pounds HEAVIER then I was last August. Still 40 pounds down from my highest. I do not have any plans on regaining weight, I am in 'ho hum' mode right now.

Help me understand why I feel fantastic, look great and I am 10 pounds heavier? I can actually look in the mirror and not hurl.

Naturally, this isn't my goal weight. Though, maybe my goal weight is too low? I am currently 147.0 and I would like to TRY to get to 130-135.

Any opinions or observations on why I feel super being 10 pounds heavier!

Thanks so much,
gail
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

According to the BMI charts, you're still overweight at your current weight, but BMI is just a general guide based on averages and ideas.

Your goal weight of 130 isn't too low--it would put you into the normal range on the BMI scale.

It is concerning, though, that you have put on 10 pounds since August. That's about 2 pounds a month. Your weight is creeping up...

The reason you're still happy is because you are so much better off now than you were 40 pounds ago. You like what you see in the mirror, because it's so much more to your liking than what it used to be.

So... maybe it's time for you to find a new plan for dropping those pounds that put you in the overweight category? When you're ready, you'll do it. The only danger is that you might not get "ready" until you've gained back even more, and then it's even harder. Most folks here can tell you that...

Start now! See what you can change!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/166/150

Height: 5'10"

You know, it could just be me but when I am not concentrating on weight loss, I love my body so much more. I feel like when we're dieting, counting calories, and exercising and all that jazz, we scrutinize our bodies so much more because we're looking for results. And since, in the world of dieting, nothing healthy is ever really quick, we are disappointed when we can't visibly see changes.

But when you aren't putting so much effort into what you eat, you're not looking at your body as a barometer for success. You're just checking out how fine you look...

Granted, this is all speculation and it may just be me.
Salacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #4  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hey!

According to the BMI charts, you're still overweight at your current weight, but BMI is just a general guide based on averages and ideas.

Your goal weight of 130 isn't too low--it would put you into the normal range on the BMI scale.

It is concerning, though, that you have put on 10 pounds since August. That's about 2 pounds a month. Your weight is creeping up...

The reason you're still happy is because you are so much better off now than you were 40 pounds ago. You like what you see in the mirror, because it's so much more to your liking than what it used to be.

So... maybe it's time for you to find a new plan for dropping those pounds that put you in the overweight category? When you're ready, you'll do it. The only danger is that you might not get "ready" until you've gained back even more, and then it's even harder. Most folks here can tell you that...

Start now! See what you can change!

Jay

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it! I guess I should have also mentioned I was pretty much "starving" myself and was 10 pounds lighter. From August until now I have increased my eating so that combined with a bit more of a lax attitude I have slowly crept up. I do not have any plans of regaining weight. I am focused on my overall health and I am very pleased.

I visit 3fatchicks daily and get a lot of wonderful information and opinions! I am very open to change and I just might tweak my food diet to see if I can get back on a losing streak!

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Last edited by bunny43; 02-07-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
From August until now I have increased my eating so that combined with a bit more of a lax attitude I have slowly crept up. I do not have any plans of regaining weight.
I guess I'd say that no one here has "plans" to regain weight. I was just pointing out that you are gaining weight. But it sounds like you're OK with that.

Maintenance is the combination of eating and exercise meant to maintain weight in the long run. You might want to check out the maintainers' forum:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Most maintainers set a "red line" above and below their ideal weight, and it serves to keep them where they want to be. For some folks it's 5 pounds above and below, for others maybe only 3 pounds--it's up to the individual.

Edited to Add:

Salacious, I agree that for some folks, weight becomes an obsession. But I think we could distinguish between "being obsessed" and "paying attention." Folks who become overweight or obese have mostly not been paying attention. So at first it can seem like obsession.

Enjoy!
Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-07-2009 at 10:16 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #6  

Get the E-Book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It is bar none the best book on FAT loss I've ever read- and I've read many. You are at a point where I think the information in there will be really helpful- especially the nutrition parts on how to EAT but still lose. My guess is that you're feeling better because you are finally feeding your body enough calories to hit satisfaction.

Tweeking those calories to food choices that cause you to stablize your weight instead of the upward creep you are currently experiencing would be a great place to start. You don't have to LOSE right now if you aren't up to it but perhaps a goal of figuring out what/how much you can eat without GAINING weight would be good? At some point you'll be in 'maintenance mode' and if you decide that point is now, that's okay. Gaining an average of 1/2 pound per week like you are now will put you back at your start weight in a short period of time. A small shift in what you're doing can prevent that. You don't want to LOSE the good feeling you currently have.

I am about an inch taller than you and I'd love to be 145. It puts me in a solid Size 10 and with my large frame and short body, I look pretty darn good at that weight. I've never had on anything in a single digit size so I don't know if that's even possible for me. It may be but for now I want to get where you are then decide.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #7  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindersbee View Post
Get the E-Book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It is bar none the best book on FAT loss I've ever read- and I've read many. You are at a point where I think the information in there will be really helpful- especially the nutrition parts on how to EAT but still lose. My guess is that you're feeling better because you are finally feeding your body enough calories to hit satisfaction.

Tweeking those calories to food choices that cause you to stablize your weight instead of the upward creep you are currently experiencing would be a great place to start. You don't have to LOSE right now if you aren't up to it but perhaps a goal of figuring out what/how much you can eat without GAINING weight would be good? At some point you'll be in 'maintenance mode' and if you decide that point is now, that's okay. Gaining an average of 1/2 pound per week like you are now will put you back at your start weight in a short period of time. A small shift in what you're doing can prevent that. You don't want to LOSE the good feeling you currently have.

I am about an inch taller than you and I'd love to be 145. It puts me in a solid Size 10 and with my large frame and short body, I look pretty darn good at that weight. I've never had on anything in a single digit size so I don't know if that's even possible for me. It may be but for now I want to get where you are then decide.
Thank you very much! I will check into the book suggestion.

I find it odd myself that I feel terrific at 147! At my heaviest 192.5 I wasn't happy at all! But, then again I feel 'bad' because I am not 130-135! The cycle of beating myself up has to stop! My therapist suggested I concentrate on all over health and stop letting the scale dictate my moods. I am in excellent health. My primary doctor says I am one of his healthiest patients. Yay!

It sucks being fat!